Oracle Turntable Appreciation Forum
Jan 12, 2013 at 3:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Chris J

Headphoneus Supremus
Any Oracle turntable fans/owners/used to own people out there?

I couldn't find much Oracle Turntable info in Head Fi so I thought I would start a thread for the Oracle fans out there.

I've been using an Oracle Delphi Mark IV for approx. 20 years, still sounds great, still runs like a champ.

Any other "Oracle worshippers" out there?

Jan 12, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #3 of 37

Chris J

Headphoneus Supremus
An SME IV Tonearm.
Not an Oracle OEM, but an SME.

Made In England,
Cheers!

Jan 13, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #5 of 37

Chris J

Headphoneus Supremus
I used to know a guy with a Gyrodec, an Audio Innovations pre amp (British) and a Sumo Nine Plus power amp. Can't remember anything else in the sytem, though.

That was a very nice sounding system! Very alive and dynamic.

Apr 24, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #6 of 37

Jag120

New Head-Fier
I know this thread hasn't been active in a few months, but I just tripped over this forum today and decided to join.

I have an original Oracle Delphi which is sometimes referred to as the Mk.I .  I have it about 25 years and bought it from a friend of mine who was the original owner.  Lucky for me he mounted a Fidelity Research fx64x tonearm, and bought the optional Oracle Iso-Mat.  Also has the upgraded power supply.  Absolutely gorgeous design and has given me wonderful service, especially all those years before CD's existed!  I've got a great vinyl collection.   But the itch was getting to me, and this past year I totally revamped my system (speakers, amps, cables, DAC, phono amp).  And I decided to order a VPI Classic II to spin my vinyl.

I've been debating whether to keep the Oracle and play with it, but I just don't have the room for two tables. Anybody want to be the third owner?

Dan

Sep 7, 2013 at 5:57 AM Post #7 of 37

Chris J

Headphoneus Supremus
Put your Oracle Delphi in the For Sale section of Head Fi..........if you still have it!

Sep 7, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #8 of 37

bbophead

Headphoneus Supremus
A friend of mine bought the MKI in about 81-82.  I bought it from him about ten years ago.  It had a Koetsu arm on it which got irreparably damaged in my last move.  Slapped a Jelco 250-C on it with the original Koetsu Onyx.  Worked fine but awfully fiddly.  My friend had spent countless hours getting everything lined up and bouncing properly in his twenty years of ownership.

Recently, I sold it and sold the Onyx separately.  With the funds, I purchased an RP6 with Ortofon 2M Black and I couldn't be happier.

The Oracle Delphi is certainly a gorgeous piece but in the end, I'm a leveler (don't make me start the tweaking) and prefer to spend my free hi-fi time just listening to music.

Sep 7, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #9 of 37

Chris J

Headphoneus Supremus
A friend of mine bought the MKI in about 81-82.  I bought it from him about ten years ago.  It had a Koetsu arm on it which got irreparably damaged in my last move.  Slapped a Jelco 250-C on it with the original Koetsu Onyx.  Worked fine but awfully fiddly.  My friend had spent countless hours getting everything lined up and bouncing properly in his twenty years of ownership.

Recently, I sold it and sold the Onyx separately.  With the funds, I purchased an RP6 with Ortofon 2M Black and I couldn't be happier.

The Oracle Delphi is certainly a gorgeous piece but in the end, I'm a leveler (don't make me start the tweaking) and prefer to spend my free hi-fi time just listening to music.

Yeah, the early one's had a reputation for being fiddly.
I have a Mk IV, it is as soild as a rock, once you set it up, it stays set up!:D

Jul 7, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #10 of 37

Olschl

Head-Fier
I know it's an old thread; but if anyone is interested in reviving, I am, too. I really think that there are enough interested party to have an active discussion somewhere.

Jul 15, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #11 of 37

bagwell359

Headphoneus Supremus
Owned the III from '81-'94. Wonderful looking, very nice function. Eventually moved on to a VPI IV with a Souther. The Souther couldn't really be mounted on the Oracle. I had a Mayware 4 on the Oracle when I bought it, and moved up to a FR 64. Had: Stanton 881S, FR Mk3F, Carnegie 1, Denon 103.

If the Souther fit on the Oracle I'd still have it.

That mat was amazing too.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #12 of 37

Olschl

Head-Fier
I have an Alex II and just got a III; both with Sumiko Premier MMT arms. That means I have 4 tables and only room for 3. I'll have to sell either the Alex II or a Linn Basik with an LVX. I'll have fun testing them against each other to figure it out. But I think it will be hard to fit the Alex II where the Linn sits now. Not much space.

Sep 27, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #13 of 37

kid vic

Headphoneus Supremus
Just bought a mint Delphi (not sure which MK) today! Very happy and looking forward to lots of late nights with it!!

Sep 27, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #15 of 37

Chris J

Headphoneus Supremus
Great stuff, Oracle's are awesome, I hope you enjoy your "new" turntable.
What kind of tonearm and cartridge do you have?

Users who are viewing this thread