ORA GrapheneQ - The world's first Graphene driver headphone
May 24, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #1,111 of 1,288
The customer support is not responsive. I received my second pair and they arrived damaged with one of the ear-cups completely removed...
The BT works well and I charged them fully and everything sounds fine, but I still think I should get what I paid for, which is a new product, not a damaged one.

May 24, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #1,112 of 1,288
The customer support is not responsive. I received my second pair and they arrived damaged with one of the ear-cups completely removed...
The BT works well and I charged them fully and everything sounds fine, but I still think I should get what I paid for, which is a new product, not a damaged one.

Earcup removed? Do you have a photo?

May 25, 2020 at 2:22 AM Post #1,113 of 1,288
Earcup removed? Do you have a photo?
Not of it removed and moving about in the box because I immediately popped it back on, but the pads look heavily used because the headphones moved so much inside and some parts of the headphones are scuffed and some coating removed

May 27, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #1,114 of 1,288
Headphones due to arrive next week via DHL! I'll be delighted to get them even with the import duties and £10 processing fee that DHL have tacked on, just so that I may know after all these years that they are real and not a fever dream...

On a side note, I think I now know the name of Ora's manufacturing partner in Hong Kong from the delivery notification. I can't recall if it was ever publicly shared though.

Last edited:
May 28, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #1,115 of 1,288
Gutted the bluetooth components out of my balance mod. For some reason bluetooth got a lot of distortions going into drivers even powered off. Thus now spare parts bluetooth board, usb c board, and battery. The anemic driver wires inside is a disgrace. Cat7 solid core wire to each drivers really crank out the power these drivers can do.

Last edited:
May 28, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #1,116 of 1,288
Gutted the bluetooth components out of my balance mod. For some reason bluetooth got a lot of distortions going into drivers even powered off. Thus now spare parts bluetooth board, usb c board, and battery. The anemic driver wires inside is a disgrace. Cat7 solid core wire to each drivers really crank out the power these drivers can do.

I agree the internal wires are barely thicker than a hair!

May 28, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #1,117 of 1,288
Yeah, I think same sound with better build and quality of materials and I would be willing to pay more for these than my ZMF Eikons... Feels like a prototype - a nice to own if a bit uncomfortable - prototype...

May 28, 2020 at 10:18 PM Post #1,118 of 1,288
BRUTE FORCE MOAR CABLE RAHHHH

But seriously, the engineers behind this are both high caliber and kind of new to scaled production.

I don’t doubt that whatever they used met the needs for performance and cost.

At the end of the day, their efficiency is on performance in more ways than one :wink:

May 28, 2020 at 10:52 PM Post #1,119 of 1,288

I have a headphone amp with balanced out. I really like the idea of your mod, thinking about doing it myself.
What have been your impressions vs the standard input so far?

Edit: Also considering gutting the bluetooth components while I am at it. I use my wired anyway, and the improvement to the sound would be a nice benefit.

Last edited:
May 28, 2020 at 11:37 PM Post #1,120 of 1,288
BRUTE FORCE MOAR CABLE RAHHHH

But seriously, the engineers behind this are both high caliber and kind of new to scaled production.

I don’t doubt that whatever they used met the needs for performance and cost.

At the end of the day, their efficiency is on performance in more ways than one :wink:

Yes, don't get me wrong; I love my Oras. I also appreciate that they were able to bring their idea to market, and overcame all of the obstacles of a business startup.

Like any product, there is room for improvement, and I have no doubt that they will address some of the feedback in their future releases.

Last edited:
May 29, 2020 at 12:04 AM Post #1,121 of 1,288
I have a headphone amp with balanced out. I really like the idea of your mod, thinking about doing it myself.
What have been your impressions vs the standard input so far?
After balance mod. For some reason the circuit boards don't like external amps 1x you are fine but 2x that's when distortions start coming out(I don't know if the signals are auto turning on but i set it to always off ) . Thus i chose to not deal with it and use it balance all through. If i was to do it all over again, i attach a switch between 2 sources to drivers https://www.jpmsupply.com/DPDT-ON-ON-Pushbutton-Switch-p/70129.htm?click=2
Used it only 2 hours and it's spectacular as most already knew after hearing the difference with balanced/amp dacs. If you can't hear the differences then don't bother with balanced, your ears are already too worn out.hehe

Last edited:
May 29, 2020 at 12:18 AM Post #1,122 of 1,288
After balance mod. For some reason the circuit boards don't like external amps 1x you are fine but 2x that's when distortions start coming out(I don't know if the signals are auto turning on but i set it to always off ) . Thus i chose to not deal with it and use it balance all through. If i was to do it all over again, i attach a switch between 2 sources to drivers https://www.jpmsupply.com/DPDT-ON-ON-Pushbutton-Switch-p/70129.htm?click=2
Used it only 2 hours and it's spectacular as most already knew after hearing the difference with balanced/amp dacs. If you can't hear the differences then don't bother with balanced, your ears are already too worn out.hehe

Thanks for the response, I think I will grab the parts/cables soon and give it a shot.
I really don't think I will use the BT functions again, so I think I will gut that stuff and just wire it up all the way to the drivers like you did.
I'll upgrade the wires too.

May 29, 2020 at 12:56 AM Post #1,123 of 1,288
Yes, don't get me wrong; I love my Oras. I also appreciate that they were able to bring their idea to market, and overcame all of the obstacles of a business startup.

Like any product, there is room for improvement, and I have no doubt that they will address some of the feedback in their future releases.

I picked up some of the pads you recommended earlier in the thread. Those make a huge difference in comfort, they definitively should have shipped with memory foam.

May 29, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #1,124 of 1,288
4. The Brainwavz hybrid velour/pleather fenestrated pads sound excellent IMO. One of my top 2 choices. Same deal as the other pads with regards to comfort, and the big advantage is your ears don’t get hot like they do with pleather. The sound has just the right amount of balance IMO, but bear in mind that I prefer Harman tuning. As expected for a partially velour pad, the low end is more than an all velour pad but less than a sheepskin or velour pad. I think it’s just right. Also, the overall sound with the hybrid pad seems to be very clean and the soundstage is great.
Thanks for this. Got mine over the weekend and without changing out the pads would never have used them. With the hybrid pads it is just as you say, tamed bass, excellent soundstage. I think the individual timbre of the instruments comes through extremely well too.

May 29, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #1,125 of 1,288
Thanks for this. Got mine over the weekend and without changing out the pads would never have used them. With the hybrid pads it is just as you say, tamed bass, excellent soundstage. I think the individual timbre of the instruments comes through extremely well too.

Why are people in the UK finally getting them while I have heard nothing about the ones that my husband @HungryPanda ordered? He was an early adopter and waited patiently ( and finally impatiently) for ages. Now because of Covid 19 he will never hear them. I need to hear them for,him. I think this going to break my heart.but then, it is already broken to bits.

He paid for them. They had better send them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back