Options for upgrading from a Bryston BHA-1
Jan 26, 2016 at 12:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

leftside

Headphoneus Supremus
I currently have a Bryston BHA-1 head amp. I'm quite happy with this amp, but I've been around long enough to know there is always something better. Here is my current setup:

VPI Scoutmaster Signature Turntable -> Dynavector 20*2L MC cart -> Allnic H1201 phono pre -> McIntosh C100 preamp -> Bryston BHA-1 -> Audeze LCD-3F

I've been looking at the McIntosh MHA-100, but think it might be overkill as I don't really want/need the DAC or the power amplifier capabilities. I think I'd rather stick with solid state or a headphone amp that isn't meant to be tube rolled (such as the Allnic HPA 3000)

Jan 28, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #3 of 11
I've been reading good reviews regarding the GSX MK2 and the Moon Neo 430HA. I also might be able to demo the Allnic locally.

Jan 28, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #4 of 11
The GSX Mk2 from the reviews I see is a step up, but also a lot brighter to the point that some people don't like it.
The Moon Neo 430HAm I really haven't heard anything negative but is 3 times more than the Bryston. I have to wonder exactly how much of a upgrade will it give over it.

All the Bryston BHA & solid state amplifier comparisons I read where with amps around its price range.

Jan 29, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #5 of 11
  The GSX Mk2 from the reviews I see is a step up, but also a lot brighter to the point that some people don't like it.
The Moon Neo 430HAm I really haven't heard anything negative but is 3 times more than the Bryston. I have to wonder exactly how much of a upgrade will it give over it.

All the Bryston BHA & solid state amplifier comparisons I read where with amps around its price range.

I've also wondered how much of an upgrade something costing 2-3 times the price really can be. Sometimes there isn't a noticeable difference, but quite often there is - and this is the reason I have continually upgraded over the years. I also have an all digital system in another room, but it's taken me many, many years and multiple upgrades to get these systems. I couldn't possibly afford them all in one purchase.

Feb 28, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #6 of 11
  I currently have a Bryston BHA-1 head amp. I'm quite happy with this amp, but I've been around long enough to know there is always something better. Here is my current setup:

VPI Scoutmaster Signature Turntable -> Dynavector 20*2L MC cart -> Allnic H1201 phono pre -> McIntosh C100 preamp -> Bryston BHA-1 -> Audeze LCD-3F

I've been looking at the McIntosh MHA-100, but think it might be overkill as I don't really want/need the DAC or the power amplifier capabilities. I think I'd rather stick with solid state or a headphone amp that isn't meant to be tube rolled (such as the Allnic HPA 3000)

You can try the Auralic Taurus or Audio-GD Master 9 or the Schiit Rag if you are looking for more power.  But to be honest, the BHA-1 matches well with the LCD-3 and is Canadian to boot :wink:

Feb 28, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #7 of 11
I ended up going in a different direction. A Woo Audio WA22 with upgraded tubes became available so I purchased it. It sounds really nice. I've also purchased some more tubes, so will be doing some tube rolling. Originally this was a path I didn't want to do down, as I knew my slight OCD could possibly bankrupt me, but so far so good. I have a strict purchasing limit of 4 sets of rectifiers/drivers/power.

I've also decided to keep the BHA-1. I like having a SS amp and a tube amp. My preamp can drive both at the same time, so it makes for some nice comparisons. Would also like to try some of the SS amps mentioned if I ever get the chance.

Feb 28, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #8 of 11
  I ended up going in a different direction. A Woo Audio WA22 with upgraded tubes became available so I purchased it. It sounds really nice. I've also purchased some more tubes, so will be doing some tube rolling. Originally this was a path I didn't want to do down, as I knew my slight OCD could possibly bankrupt me, but so far so good. I have a strict purchasing limit of 4 sets of rectifiers/drivers/power.

I've also decided to keep the BHA-1. I like having a SS amp and a tube amp. My preamp can drive both at the same time, so it makes for some nice comparisons. Would also like to try some of the SS amps mentioned if I ever get the chance.

SS and Tube - Great Combo!!

Mar 1, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #9 of 11
I have a Bryston BHA-1 and a Senn HDVA600. The HDVA600 is more of a side-grade. I'm really interested in the iFi Pro iCan as it offers both solid state & tube flexibility, and it supports an add-on module to drive electrostatic headphones. Best of all worlds
biggrin.gif

Jan 1, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #10 of 11
One other SS amp that I didn't see mentioned is the Violectric V281 that gets a lot of good reviews. I know a fellow Head-Fier who owns it and loves it, have not heard it myself. I'm happy with my BHA-1.

The Mjolnir2 would also be an option, that supports either SS or tube modes.

Just FYI, friends.
RCBinTN

Apr 22, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #11 of 11
One other SS amp that I didn't see mentioned is the Violectric V281 that gets a lot of good reviews. I know a fellow Head-Fier who owns it and loves it, have not heard it myself. I'm happy with my BHA-1.

The Mjolnir2 would also be an option, that supports either SS or tube modes.

Just FYI, friends.
RCBinTN

Damn, just what I was interested in, the BHA-1 vs. V281 ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back