Options for a road cyclest!
Mar 30, 2013 at 4:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

AnthonyMcEwen

Head-Fier
Hi guys I cycle a lot but can't stand Ear buds and am not keen on IEMs as they never feel comfy ond just end up annoying me as they fall out or hurt...

The best and last set of iems I had were JVC XX bass things and were red and black...

But have them away and they fit okay but still not perfect....

What would my non IEM options be.....

Obviously no full size things as they won't fit as I wear a helmet....I was thinging IEMs would be OK if they fit nicely and had a clip to hold them on like the ones runners wear?

Or some portable over ear ones that could have a small headband that goes under a helmet...

What would you suggests, it needs to be available in the UK and I have a budget of £25 but can go slightly more many £35 if it was really worth it...

IEMs will be okay if they have a ear clip to keep them on, but over ears are much more comfy and don't need cleaning every single time I use them (my ears are very clean but still the IEMs get waxxy?)

Thx

Mar 30, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #2 of 8
I've tried using open portables and earbuds while riding but the wind noise forces me to turn up the volume of my music to uncomfortable levels. In my experience some low profile IEMs are the best option although the sound isolation makes riding on the streets a bit more dangerous than it already is.

I use the Meelectronics M6 since they sit flush in your ear reducing wind noise and have the memory wire that runs the cord behind your ear so its easy to remove/stick them back in your ears. Sound quality is alright, but I don't care that much when I'm cycling or working out.

Mar 30, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #3 of 8
I am a avid cyclest, and I will never ride with music again.  I use to ride with CIEM's but one day I did not hear a car about to run a stop sign in the country and the car was about one inch from my front tire.  That was the last time I rode with music.

Mar 30, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #4 of 8
Earbuds at a low volume are the only sensible option. I've been riding for a long time. This is one activity where music shouldn't be the focus. It should definitely be in the background and low enough so that you can hear things happening around you.

I use a recabled pair of Yuin PK3 because they are a bit sturdier than stock. Sennheiser make a lot of "sports" models. I also know people who actually use a single-sided earphone. 

IEMs offer too much isolation. Headphones obviously don't fit with a helmet.

Apr 1, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #5 of 8
Hmm okay thx, I never intended on the music as being the main even luckily, just as something to block out the noise of the wind.

My dad showed me some some the other day like the old IPod ones, so they don't isolate noise like BUDs....

Would something like a set of Sony MDR A5215 be suitable (or at least less unsuitable)

what would be the best ones for my money that are like the above ones?

THX.

Apr 3, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #6 of 8
I bike commute daily with portapro ktcs. I dont wear a helmet though :/ sportapros have a different band so you might be OK with a helmet and will sound the same. I do like the KTC controls though so I can pause quickly using the controls on the cable without fumbling in my pocket.

IEMs are suicide on a bike but the portapros are open and I can hear traffic fine. They baffle the wind well on my ears and audio is clear enough for podcasts or metal while still giving you awareness for traffic

Apr 3, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #7 of 8
Thx, I ended up just getting some clip on iems, cheap ones from Amazon, but only gonna wear it in one side, the side faceing the pavement, aka left side, not sure what side u guy over the pond drive on.

I also gonna run them really low volume....if I still find there to distracting I will just put up with the wind.

I made it up to myself by saying I can get myself a nice pair of cans for use at home instead and have just ordered some krk kns 8400.

Tjx for the help though and you sound like you have a good set up there, although I always ride with a helmet as I get up to crazy speeds.....

Apr 3, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #8 of 8
I also travel by bike, and I use IEMs many times. Just like what you said, I only put one side on (right side in my case), set music to mono (using Poweramp for android), volumn should be around 30~40% so that I can barely hear the music
So far haven't caused any accident, yet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back