Options for a dead iPod
Mar 21, 2006 at 2:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

bigshot

Headphoneus Supremus
Today, my old trooper 3g 30 gig's hard drive failed. I tried reformatting it but it errors every time I try.

I checked on the web regarding repairs, and I'm guessing that a new hard drive and new battery would run about $200. For $100 more, I can get an iPod video, so that doesn't make much sense.

I'm looking to buy a 4g 60 gig to replace it. (I need firewire support...) I see repair places offering to buy broken iPods. Has anyone sold one this way? Is it worth the hassle or should I just give the old fella a decent burial and move on?

See ya
Steve

Mar 21, 2006 at 5:50 AM Post #2 of 4
i say move on unless you really love the 3g. a toshiba 30gb 1.8" drive cost $120 plus shipping and an ipod battery cost about $17 shipped on ebay. well thats about $150. that is if you can DIY.

for firewire, you can buy a real cheap firewire pci card from places like newegg.com. just make sure you have the right cable. but i thought ipod have usb2 also?

Mar 21, 2006 at 6:00 AM Post #3 of 4
You can often get a used hard drive on eBay for $40 or $50. A new battery will run $15-$20 or so. Opening an iPod isn't bad and is pretty well documented on the Internet. You can fix it yourself.

But don't trash it. There's nothing wrong with listing it on eBay as long as you're up front about the problems. Someone will want it.

Mar 24, 2006 at 9:34 PM Post #4 of 4
Like Lazarus, my 3g 30 gig has risen from the grave!

I got a new iPod to replace it, and discovered that it was having trouble docking too. I tried docking to my comp using my Pocket Dock and it worked fine. So I gave the Pocket Dock a try on my dead iPod and vouiala! Back to normal.

It was very strange... My apple dock was making it look just like the hard drive had failed. It would error whenever I tried to reformat or update it.

Now I have four iPods! Two 60 gig 5g videos, a 60 gig 4g photo and a 3g 30 gig. I'm going to dedicate one of the 5gs just to video, the other will have all classical music. The photo will be dedicated to popular music and the 30 gig will be all jazz. Wow!

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back