1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Optimising files for a random playback algorithm - any statisticians or programers here?

1. suicidal_orange
    I'm trying to work out the best way to organise music on the Tera Player.

I know how it works - it chooses a random number between 0 and 128 and if it finds an item it uses it, if not it does a binary shift, repeat as required.  This is done three times to choose an "artist" then an "album" and finally a track. 

The problem this algorithm is that whatever it puts last in the list gets massively overplayed compared to what's first - I've made a spreadsheet to simulate this.

To achieve randomness what you need to do is pad the folders/files to put all the real music at the same binary level (3-4, 5-8, 17-32 etc) - easy enough.

However there is a problem if you don't have exactly 2, 4, 8 etc items because when it plays random it is much more likely to hit a "blank" which creates a gap between the tracks, which is what I'm trying to avoid.

I've come to a point where I need to understand probability better to work out whether it's best to put (e.g) 28 albums in

2 folders of 14
    4 folders of 7
    4 folders of 3 and 4 of 4
    or just leave them loose..

but I can't get my head around it!

If you've got this far congratulations, please post anything you think could help, or if you're interested enough to want to have a go feel free to ask questions as I'm not known for being great at explaining things.

Thanks in advance [​IMG]