Optical Vinyl?!
Jul 3, 2004 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

kyrie

1000+ Head-Fier
I read in the news the other day that some people have developed the technology to read the bumps and ridges on a vinyl record using lasers, and thus play back a vinyl recording optically! The signal could then by passed through a software that simulates and reproduces the sound.
Originally this technology was developed to reduce wear and tear on records upon playback to preserve them for a long period, and it certainly seems to do that. But I wonder what the resulting sound would be like. On one hand, using lasers reduces the need to rely on mechanical parts as well as eliminating many internal sources of vibration, which would lead to a more "accurate" level of playback than even the best mechanical equipment.
But on the other hand, the quality of the resulting sound would depend on the the performance of the reproduction software.

Jul 3, 2004 at 6:29 PM Post #2 of 10
Michael Fremer did a review of the ELP Laser turntable in the December 2003 issue of Stereophile. All in all I believe he liked it, however the review is not accessable through Stereophile on the Web.

Smart Devices, Inc.

LT-top.jpg

Jul 3, 2004 at 8:28 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT
Michael Fremer did a review of the ELP Laser turntable in the December 2003 issue of Stereophile. All in all I believe he liked it, however the review is not accessable through Stereophile on the Web.

Smart Devices, Inc.

LT-top.jpg

Did he really? Hmmm....
The TAS review was somewhat cold though.

Jul 4, 2004 at 12:54 AM Post #5 of 10
Isn't this taking the audio signal into the digital domain, thus eliminating the distinctive 'analog' sound and defeating one of the main purposes of listening to vinyl in the first place?

Edit: huh... it IS analog... wierd.

Jul 4, 2004 at 12:54 PM Post #7 of 10
that seems to be the consensus on the vinyl forums. Also, Fremmer`s reviews sometimes require a Greenspan like interpretation(e.g. read between the lines). A positive review vs an enthusiastic review.

I do not believe this is a disruptive tech just yet, coz Fremmer and other vinyl gurus are not dumping their traditional rigs.

Recall some folks suggesting the Blue lazer tech, along with some refinements could help make this better vs just comparable.

I would love to hear one, coz if it is even comparable, considering the amount of effort to maintain a table. But then the tweaking factor disappears and this also means a more generic sound. But can leave the tweaking down the line with amps, cables, etc...

I discount publication reviews generally, except for products that do not advertise in the publications. Then at least some independence. But not so good for the publications. Still good info from Stereophile and some of the others. Stereophile for example, are not at all obvious in bias so not knocking the reviews. Just a little healthy apprehension.

The ELP certainly fall way short in the aesthetics area, but that can be overlooked, if the sound is comparable, saves trouble balancing tables, carts, and jumping up to lift the arm every side.

Still the ELP is not cheap, and a Scout with a decent cart and amp still quite a bit less and looks cooler.

I am still hoping this concept progresses.

Oct 23, 2004 at 7:13 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by tk_suki
Still the ELP is not cheap, and a Scout with a decent cart and amp still quite a bit less and looks cooler.

I am still hoping this concept progresses.

You are right.

I hope it progresses too but I dont think it will. If it cost up to $3000 I am sure many audiophiles would get it. But its more like $10.000. Unless you get the older models for like $6000 which still is a lot.

Oct 24, 2004 at 3:57 AM Post #10 of 10
The guys who review this stuff get it at 40% off retail if they want to own it for themselves. You can get 15% off at the most. I don't think Mikey is ready to trade his Simon Yorke. Analog technology is good enough now. CD/SACD is good enough too. Excellent sound either way and getting cheaper. Laser is expensive and redundant. I would not buy one. At retail, who would? Particularly when there is Rega, Music Hall and others for the price sensitive, VPI and SME for the rest, and Walker, Teres and Verdier for the true enthusisasts. And all are better and cheaper than laser. And all but laser have a robust secondary market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back