Optical solution for PC
Jul 28, 2019 at 11:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ls13coco

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all, I'm wondering what would be the best/cheapest way to gain the ability to connect my DACs to my PC with optical, which has a motherboard lacking optical and s/pdif.

I'm happy with usb, I'd just like the option as I'm running low on open ports and would like to also compare for any audible difference.
Cheap sound card?
Usb- optical converter?

Anything that might degrade quality I will skip, as well as if I need to spend too much I'll also just wait til I change mobo's in the future.

Jul 29, 2019 at 12:22 AM Post #2 of 7
Asus Xonar DG or DGX sound card.
Asus Xonar U3 USB DAC (with optical output)

Jul 29, 2019 at 12:37 AM Post #3 of 7
Hey all, I'm wondering what would be the best/cheapest way to gain the ability to connect my DACs to my PC with optical, which has a motherboard lacking optical and s/pdif.

I'm happy with usb, I'd just like the option as I'm running low on open ports and would like to also compare for any audible difference.
Cheap sound card?
Usb- optical converter?

Uhhh...if you're running low on ports, wouldn't a USB to SPDIF converter or USB soundcard with optical output like the Xonar U3 not solve your problem at all? Because it still uses USB.

Anyways if you have a PCI-E slot open and you have a DAC with optical input then just get the cheapest internal soundcard with optical out. If you need virtual surround some that have that feature still retail for under $50.

Jul 29, 2019 at 12:39 AM Post #4 of 7
Asus Xonar DG or DGX sound card.
Asus Xonar U3 USB DAC (with optical output)

Thanks, so I can just bypass the soundcard as a audio device in sound settings and use only the connectivity right?

Jul 29, 2019 at 12:41 AM Post #5 of 7
Uhhh...if you're running low on ports, wouldn't a USB to SPDIF converter or USB soundcard with optical output like the Xonar U3 not solve your problem at all? Because it still uses USB.

Anyways if you have a PCI-E slot open and you have a DAC with optical input then just get the cheapest internal soundcard with optical out. If you need virtual surround some that have that feature still retail for under $50.

Yeah, but if that was the best option I could deal and simply unplug it when not actively using optical.

Nope I'd want to bypass everything, good to know any cheap soundcard with optical will be the solution. Second guessed how simple it was, I guess.

Jul 29, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #7 of 7
Thanks, so I can just bypass the soundcard as a audio device in sound settings and use only the connectivity right?
More like just set the U3 control panel to 2-channel and S/PDIF output.
So leave the U3 on basic settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back