Optical Out Sound Card
Jul 28, 2011 at 2:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

szanella

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everybody!

I have ordered a Maverick D1 DAC/Amp to use at the office.

However, it can only sample 24-bit if the signal is sent via Optical, instead of USB and my computer doesn't have optical out.

Question is: if I bought a really cheap sound card with optical out, let's say this one, and used only the optical out to feed the DAC, would I get the same audio quality as if I used a more expensive sound card? Or would it be best just to use the USB connection on the D1?

I mean, does the optical signal changes with different sound cards?

Thanks a lot!
Stefano

EDIT: Ooops! I just saw I posted on the wrong section! If any mod could move it, I'd appreciate it! Sorry!

Jul 30, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #2 of 4
It can't go 24 bit with coax?  If it does, I'd get a sound card with coax instead. 

I'm not familiar with any of this gear but I'm guessing its a non asycnch DAC and I'm willing to bet that the optical would sound better - or at least as good.  I don't use usb at all and all my DACs have usb in.  The optical ( in my gear) is prone to short bursts of static sometimes when switching sources or songs, esp if the sample rate is different but it sounds very good otherwise.

Also, if your DAC can use coax you can look into the hiface (usb to coax converter) as an alternative to changing your sound card.

Aug 4, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #3 of 4

Quote:
It can't go 24 bit with coax?  If it does, I'd get a sound card with coax instead. 

I'm not familiar with any of this gear but I'm guessing its a non asycnch DAC and I'm willing to bet that the optical would sound better - or at least as good.  I don't use usb at all and all my DACs have usb in.  The optical ( in my gear) is prone to short bursts of static sometimes when switching sources or songs, esp if the sample rate is different but it sounds very good otherwise.

Also, if your DAC can use coax you can look into the hiface (usb to coax converter) as an alternative to changing your sound card.

Yes, it can go 24 with coax!

Is there any cheap (really cheap) with coax out that could go bit perfect and send 24 bit?
The hiface would be more expansive than I can afford right now...

Thanks!

Aug 4, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #4 of 4
I'm not sure there.  I know I have a generic sound card in my desk top and it has coax.  I took me over a year to realize what the connection was for then discovered that orange meant coax/ digital audio.  Likewise my laptop has a stealth optical connection that isn't advertised anywhere.  Sound sound cards will even have a coax that uses a mini- connector, so you'll need a mini-RCA adapter to use it - the point being that I would expect a lot of sound cards to have this capability though I've never looked at sound cards myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back