Have:
Low end Alienware Alpha - HDMI and optical (spdif toslink) out
I-INC 28" monitor - crappy speakers and 3.5mm stereo out
Pair of Klipsch B-20
Sennheiser HD 558

Want:
Way to use B-20 for computer speakers

Back story:
I want a (hopefully) low cost, small form-factor solution to allow me to use my B-20s as computer speakers and provide stereo out for my 558s. 

Question 1:
Should I get a cheap T amp and use the monitor's stereo out or get an amp with optical in so I can use spdif? I am guessing the monitor out will be crappy quality but don't enough about this stuff to know for sure.

Question 2:
If I want to use spdif I nee an amp with optical in, correct? Where should I start looking? I googled quite a bit and found almost nothing low cost. This seems to be the closest thing, and it doesn't even have a headphone jack. 

Jun 12, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #3 of 9
Get this optical dac: http://www.amazon.com/D3-Digital-Converter-Optical-Toslink/dp/B005K2TXMO/

Get a t-amp to power your speakers :)

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #5 of 9
Thanks for the advice. Any particular reason you recommend getting separate DAC and amp? Is it just because both in one is hard to find cheap?

They are not that common in a budget solution that is small form factor. You could try this: http://www.amazon.com/TOPPING-Tripath-Subwoofer-Amplifier-Digital/dp/B00H6XDE4S

Jun 12, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #6 of 9
Ok cool. Makes sense. I am also doing a new build within the next 9 months and will try to put a good sound card in it so I will have decent analog out. At that point I would only need the amp, so maybe I do want separate ones even if it's clunkier at the moment.

Jun 12, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #7 of 9
If you want a good external dac/headphone amp, look into the Fiio E10K. It is very good for headphones, and it has a line out that you can use to run to a t-amp like a Lepai.

Jun 15, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #8 of 9
After doing a little more research I am thinking it may be better to avoid getting a sound card for my build at the end of the year. That means I'm now leaning toward an all in one solution. Two more questions:

Does optical vs usb in matter for the DAC? Optical is more convenient for me right now, but end of the year USB might be more convenient.

That VX1 looks like a great solution. Does it have any competitors? I can't seem to find any. (The category being reasonably cheap DAC with speaker and headphone out)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back