OPPO Proudly Announces the Sonica DAC. North American Premiere at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (Oct 7-9)
Dec 3, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #16 of 20
Thanks for pointing it out. What took them so long to launch
smily_headphones1.gif

I hear you, but I'd rather they be slow and release a high quality product that's actually ready for use, than do what a lot of DAP manufacturers do: Releasing the hardware as soon as it's ready, then suffering their customers with an endless stream of firmware upgrades to fix bugs found by the customers thermselves.  

I realize that Oppo doesn't make any DAPs, which have a complicated user interface, but companies like FiiO, HiFiMan, iBasso, and A&K, for example, all suffer their DAP customers with firmware that hasn't been fully tested in-house. The Head-Fi threads for their DAPs read like a bunch of quality assurance testers are reporting bugs, waiting for fixes, testing the fixes, reporting new bugs, waiting for more fixes, etc., ad infinitum. It's not uncommon for these DAP manufacturers to provide dozens of firmware upgrades, never actually getting rid of all of the bugs, when they suddenly discontinue any further development on that product - concurrent with the release of a new, "better" DAP, which itself hasn't been tested in-house, and the whole cycle repeats itself - with customers upgrading to the new DAP and again performing all of the quality assurance testing!

Oppo customers might see only one or two firmware upgrades during their ownership. I can wait patiently for a high-quality product.  :)

Dec 3, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #17 of 20
I hear you, but I'd rather they be slow and release a high quality product that's actually ready for use, than do what a lot of DAP manufacturers do: Releasing the hardware as soon as it's ready, then suffering their customers with an endless stream of firmware upgrades to fix bugs found by the customers thermselves.  

I realize that Oppo doesn't make any DAPs, which have a complicated user interface, but companies like FiiO, HiFiMan, iBasso, and A&K, for example, all suffer their DAP customers with firmware that hasn't been fully tested in-house. The Head-Fi threads for their DAPs read like a bunch of quality assurance testers are reporting bugs, waiting for fixes, testing the fixes, reporting new bugs, waiting for more fixes, etc., ad infinitum. It's not uncommon for these DAP manufacturers to provide dozens of firmware upgrades, never actually getting rid of all of the bugs, when they suddenly discontinue any further development on that product - concurrent with the release of a new, "better" DAP, which itself hasn't been tested in-house, and the whole cycle repeats itself - with customers upgrading to the new DAP and again performing all of the quality assurance testing!

Oppo customers might see only one or two firmware upgrades during their ownership. I can wait patiently for a high-quality product.  :)

+1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back