OPPO Proudly Announces the Sonica DAC. North American Premiere at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (Oct 7-9)
Sep 26, 2016 at 7:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

With more and more music coming from digital sources, the DAC is one of the most important components in the playback chain. The new OPPO Sonica DAC improves upon the highly regarded audio performance of OPPO HA-1 and BDP-95/105 players and presents an upgraded DAC chipset, the flagship ESS ES9038PRO SABRE DAC.

Sonica DAC combines the convenience of modern network streaming and the ultimate sound quality of the traditional audiophile DAC. The Sonica app for iOS and Android allows you to conveniently stream music from your smart phone or tablet. Sonica DAC supports high resolution PCM and DSD audio via its USB, coaxial and optical inputs. On top of that, Sonica DAC is a high-resolution audio player and can decode files directly from a connected USB drive, network shares or NAS drives.

Sign up to be notified for more information about the Sonica DAC, including final specifications, price, and release date, on Sonica DAC website.

Sep 27, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #2 of 20
Very interesting. Seeing it also has a volume knob, does this also work as a preamp? Any nudge to a ball park price range this would be around? And lastly, could you give any comparison between this and the Schiit Bifrost 4490?

Sep 28, 2016 at 3:27 AM Post #3 of 20
It can be used like a pre-amplifier just like our HA-1. As for the price, we will be announcing that at Rocky Mountain, but I can say that it will be cheaper than the HA-1 since there is no Class-A headphone amplification.

Sep 28, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #4 of 20
My friend, you've given some great excitement and something to look forward to over the next couple weeks. Been a huge fan of Oppo for a long time and saving up for your PM-1 model now. But if I may, or rather if you can, will this be available in the silver aluminum color like the HA-1 (my favorite look) and also what are the dimensions of the unit? I ask because I'm likely to stack my amp on top of it (Schiit Lyr 2 [I've the Bifrost 4490 currently which is what brought my comparison question from earlier]), thank you very kindly for all you can disclose.

Sep 28, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #5 of 20
Silver is expected, yes, but it will be at a later date.

In terms of size, it is designed to be mated with the HA-1, so it has the same width and length, but about half the height.

Sep 28, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #6 of 20
Silver is expected, yes, but it will be at a later date.

In terms of size, it is designed to be mated with the HA-1, so it has the same width and length, but about half the height.

Awesome! Thank you very much for everything, I do very humbly appreciate it. Looking forward to your official release!

Oct 7, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #7 of 20

Come on in! You will be able to listen to our bran new line of audiophile products including the HA-2SE, Sonica DAC, and the Sonica Grand speakers. You will also be able to listen to our previously released products including the PM-1, PM-2 and PM-3 planar magnetic headphones.

Nov 19, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #11 of 20
Will it support Roon?

On another thread they answered this. But to paraphrase, they have plans to eventually but it wont be suppprted at launch.

Nov 27, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #13 of 20
Hi. May I ask:

- The line outputs for Sonica DAC is it based on op-amp (non discrete components) like the HA-1?
- how do you compare the preamp quality of the HA-1 vs Sonica DAC? I noticed that the volume control of the Sonica is in digital domain unlike the HA-1.

Thank you.

Nov 29, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #14 of 20
Hi. May I ask:

- The line outputs for Sonica DAC is it based on op-amp (non discrete components) like the HA-1?
- how do you compare the preamp quality of the HA-1 vs Sonica DAC? I noticed that the volume control of the Sonica is in digital domain unlike the HA-1.

Thank you.

The Sonica DAC hasn't been released yet.  It may be awhile before your questions can be answered by a reviewer - but they are good questions.  :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back