Oppo PM-3 Vs. Denon MM400 and Oppo PM-2 vs. Hifiman HE-560
Apr 3, 2015 at 6:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

bluesaint

500+ Head-Fier
So I was at Oppo HQ today mainly A/B testing my Denon AH-MM400 to the Oppo PM-3.  Both are in the same $399 USD cost and both have similar reviews when compared to it's competitors such as Momentum2,B&O play H6, and B&W P7.   In almost every instance that reviewed PM-3 and MM400 vs. the competition, PM-3 and MM400 always came out ahead.  But never did I see anyone compared PM-3 directly with MM400, and hence for my quick trip to Oppo Digital in Mt.View accomplished.

I'll keep this quick as I need to head out for a mtb ride with this beautiful cali sunshine 
biggrin.gif

TL:DR:
They are comparable in every identical in every way from comfort to sound, ease of drive, isolation, etc..  The only differentiating factor that's obvious is the Denon's are a little faster, and that's because soundstage wise, the Denon's puts you closer towards the front, so has a more intimate sound.   Don't mistake this as saying the Denon's have a smaller soundstage, they don't, the soundstage has the same width as the Oppo, but you can articulate as the Oppo puts you towards the middle of the stage while the Denon's puts you closer to the front row.   Really, thats the only difference between the two.

So IMO, it means music may sound more involving, which probably great for those that listen to pop, rock, female vocal, etc..   Where the Oppo may sound better for classical music, smooth jazz, etc..

Again this is just my opinion, and I've tested both driven from my Cayin N6 which features one of the best analogue amp circuits out there capable of BTL 250mw + 250mw @32ohm.

Oh also for my own amusement, they had the HE-560 and PM2 there next to each other, so I couldn't help but have a quick comparison.   The PM2 sounds more musical in every single way, and while both are open cans, the PM2's seems to leak less sound, and is SIGNIFICANTLY easier to drive.  When swapping between the two, I had to constantly increase the volume on the HE-560 to get to the same range as the PM2's.  If I didn't need closed backs, I'd say the PM2's would be my go to cans.

Aug 5, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for the review. I have Denon D600 and have been eyeing the PM-3 for a while now. Someone recommended me the MM400. How's the comfort between that and PM-3?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back