Oppo PM-3 vs Audeze EL-8
Jul 20, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #17 of 23
Honesty, I think your best bet for a good portable SQ is in-ears.  There just isn't a huge selection of high-end over-ear portables.

Jul 20, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #19 of 23
I agree with the fact that there's very few high-end truly portable headphones. My biggest problem with getting in-ears is their comfort. Even with foam tips, I really can't wear them for any extended period of time. 

Jul 20, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #20 of 23
  I agree with the fact that there's very few high-end truly portable headphones. My biggest problem with getting in-ears is their comfort. Even with foam tips, I really can't wear them for any extended period of time. 

Have you looked into customs?  You can buy used ones and get them reshelled for cheaper than buying new.

I ask because I have never been much of a fan of in-ears either, but I won a set of customs (Noble 4) and they're comfortable and sound very, very good.  There are obviously cheaper options as well.

Jul 21, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #21 of 23
I'm told that my ears are still growing and changing, so I'll have to hold off on custom IEMs for a few more years. I think for now I'll stick with getting my hands on the PM-3s, unless there's others comparable to that.

Jul 21, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #22 of 23
I'm just concerned that the PM-3s will be too big of a step down from the LCD-2s and that I won't find things to like in it. 

I have the lcd 2.2 p/f and love them to. Most of the time I wear the pm3s. They are not a step down. They ard different, but if you want closed, I highly recommend them.

Oct 11, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #23 of 23
  I've heard that a lot of people have had issues with getting a proper seal on the EL-8s. Also, some models make a weird noise when you press down on the earcup. When I heard the EL-8s, I found the demo model to have that issue as well. 

I owned 3 EL-8s ( 2 open and 1 closed ) and the three had this problem so I sold them and bought something else. The customer service was nice each time and they replaced it without arguing but I had to pay for the shipping every time ! I do like my LCD-2 but I feel the EL-8 is not in the same league talking about the built construction or the sound. On the other hand, I really appreciate my PM-3 when I go outside. The sound is really neutral, detailed and lively. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back