Oppo PM-3 vs Audeze EL-8
Jul 14, 2015 at 11:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

JD1993

100+ Head-Fier
I want to find a pair of closed back headphones that I can use outside. I currently use the Audeze LCD-2s for when I'm at home. I listen to a lot of blues, blues-rock, rock, easy listening, jazz, classical, etc. Pretty much anything except EDM, rap, and country. I typically lean towards headphones with solid imaging and soundstage, and a good mid-range. Bass and treble should be in check and shouldn't be too powerful or forward. Which of these headphones do you think would better fit my taste? Are there others at a similar price ($400-700) that would be better?

Jul 16, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #2 of 23
I'd go for the PM-3 out of those two, I love the EL-8 but feel that Audeze should address some issues with the design before you get those.

I'm still a fan of the KEF M500 which is an on-ear but quite comfortable -

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/kef-m500-closed-back-foldable-on-ear-headphones-with-mic.html

But you have the luxury of having the PM-3 available now.. go on, treat yourself!

Jul 16, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #3 of 23
  I'd go for the PM-3 out of those two, I love the EL-8 but feel that Audeze should address some issues with the design before you get those.

I'm still a fan of the KEF M500 which is an on-ear but quite comfortable -

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/kef-m500-closed-back-foldable-on-ear-headphones-with-mic.html

But you have the luxury of having the PM-3 available now.. go on, treat yourself!

Out of curiosity, what design issues?

Jul 16, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #4 of 23
I've heard that a lot of people have had issues with getting a proper seal on the EL-8s. Also, some models make a weird noise when you press down on the earcup. When I heard the EL-8s, I found the demo model to have that issue as well. 

Jul 17, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #6 of 23
  Out of curiosity, what design issues?

The cables are very thin, too long, and short out easily; I'm on my 3rd cable now. Finally, because the cable came out so often and had to be reconnected, now there is a short in the left ear itself and customer service has been extremely slow, responding every 3-5 days.

Jul 17, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #8 of 23
  I'm just concerned that the PM-3s will be too big of a step down from the LCD-2s and that I won't find things to like in it. 

Interesting... if you do step down, I'd like to know what someone thinks of stepping down (As I stepped up to OPPO PM-3
biggrin.gif
)

Jul 20, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #11 of 23
I think that coming down from the LCD line leads some to think of the EL-8 as a little too recessed with the higher frequencies. The LCD-2 is a bit warmer-sounding than the LCD-3/XC types however.

I find the more pricey LCD models a bit forward for my taste, so look on it as not 'better or worse' - just 'better for me' which is the position from which many people make a judgement.

Jul 20, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #12 of 23
  I think that coming down from the LCD line leads some to think of the EL-8 as a little too recessed with the higher frequencies. The LCD-2 is a bit warmer-sounding than the LCD-3/XC types however.

I find the more pricey LCD models a bit forward for my taste, so look on it as not 'better or worse' - just 'better for me' which is the position from which many people make a judgement.

You're talking about the EL-8 open right? Because I find the highs on the EL-8 closed screeching.

*edit* Customer service seems to have completely disappeared now, haven't heard from them in over a week.

Jul 20, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #13 of 23
I suppose I could be referring to both - I was playing with both versions at the same time but liked them both. No screeching highs for me, not that I noticed. Not that you're wrong of course. I've heard others don't like them too.

Jul 20, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #15 of 23
I found the closed EL-8's to be unlistenable.  The open are okay but nowhere near $700 worth of sound. I know this is a subjective hobby and we all hear differently, but I'm not the only person to say this.

The PM-3 is going to be a slight step down from the LCD-2, for sure.  It'll also be a more neutral (less warm) sound signature.  I think that will be what you notice more than anything.  The PM-3 is still a very good headphone.  I use a HE-560 as my main headphone at home (I sidegraded from the LCD-2 because I wanted a brighter sound signature) and a PM-3 for my work/portable headphone and I'm completely satisfied with it.

As I said, I think your biggest issue will be the slightly different sound signature.  If you can live with it, it's a great headphone, especially for the price.

I can think of some other closed options you'd like but they're not "portable".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back