Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Jun 11, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #1,756 of 6,302
Pm3 is all pleather and only comes with 1 set of pads. Pm1/Pm2 pads will not work either.

I can report that the pads are in fact removable but directions from Oppo is needed to not damage the pads. This should be available soon if not already, replacement pads are around $30.
Sorry in advance of this has been covered, but can someone please tell me if the PM-3 earpads have felt inside like PM-1 / PM-2 lambskin and velour pads, or are they sans felt like the PM-1 / PM-2 pleather pads?

Jun 11, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #1,757 of 6,302
Pm3 is all pleather and only comes with 1 set of pads. Pm1/Pm2 pads will not work either.

I can report that the pads are in fact removable but directions from Oppo is needed to not damage the pads. This should be available soon if not already, replacement pads are around $30.

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough Soundsgoodtome. I've already auditioned PM-2 and PM-3. I was trying to find out if the PM-3 pleather pads are like the PM1/2 pleathers - no felt ring inside the pad.

When listening to the PM-2 with pleather vs. lambskin or velour, the difference in treble response and soundstage was quite noticeable.

Jun 11, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #1,758 of 6,302

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough @Soundsgoodtome. I've already auditioned PM-2 and PM-3. I was trying to find out if the PM-3 pleather pads are like the PM1/2 pleathers - no felt ring inside the pad.

When listening to the PM-2 with pleather vs. lambskin or velour, the difference in treble response and soundstage was quite noticeable.

No felt.

Jun 11, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #1,759 of 6,302
Sorry if I wasn't clear enough @Soundsgoodtome. I've already auditioned PM-2 and PM-3. I was trying to find out if the PM-3 pleather pads are like the PM1/2 pleathers - no felt ring inside the pad.

Mmm... there is a foam(?) ring on the driver that prevents your ear from hitting any hard surfaces. not sure if it is part of the earpads.

Jun 11, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #1,760 of 6,302
Mmm... there is a foam(?) ring on the driver that prevents your ear from hitting any hard surfaces. not sure if it is part of the earpads.

Good to know. It wouldn't be on the driver.

I just noticed a major difference between pleather (good) vs lambskin/velour (not so good) with the PM-2 and was wondering what was going on with PM-3.

Jun 11, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #1,761 of 6,302
it is under the pads I believe, it has been mentioned before as being there, covering the screw access points.

Jun 11, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #1,762 of 6,302
  it is under the pads I believe, it has been mentioned before as being there, covering the screw access points.

You have the earpads which are all pleather top and bottom, but underneath the earpad is a plastic surface that contains clips to mount to the drivers. On the drivers itself is a memory foam covering screw points and also sits on the plastic part of the earpad which creates a seal. The opening has a different type of foam protruding from it and is maybe 3mm taller than the memory foam. Not sure what the exact purpose of this funnel but its there.

Jun 12, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #1,765 of 6,302
i have a white pair of oppo pm-3 and i really like them. they sound wonderful out of my geek out 1000.

Jun 13, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #1,766 of 6,302
Not sure if this was mentioned recently or not but I have found that I really enjoy the PM-3 with Billy Joel, Alison Krauss, etc... basically anything with strong vocals and not overly intense music accompaniment. It's quite magical. Anyone have any recommendations on some others to listen to? I'm seriously loving these headphones.

Jun 13, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #1,767 of 6,302
vocals sound great e.g. Joni Mitchell, Ed Sheeran, Paolo Nutini, Tears for Fear -songs from the big chair - hires, Roo Panes, Steven Wilson, Citizen Cope are just a few examples of how the Pm3's handle vocals - and the instruments ain't to bad :wink_face:

cheers,

jhv

Jun 14, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #1,768 of 6,302
  Not sure if this was mentioned recently or not but I have found that I really enjoy the PM-3 with Billy Joel, Alison Krauss, etc... basically anything with strong vocals and not overly intense music accompaniment. It's quite magical. Anyone have any recommendations on some others to listen to? I'm seriously loving these headphones.

J.D. Souther - A Natural History
Eva Cassidy - Time After Time
Kenny Rankin - Because of You

Jun 14, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #1,769 of 6,302
I've been listening to some Vinyl rips at 24/96 of Jessica Pratt's "On Your Own Love again",  Emiliana Torrini's "Fishermans Wife" and they sounded awesome. Very Spacious intimate mellow music with very nice female vocals and acoustic guitars. 

Jun 15, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #1,770 of 6,302

Users who are viewing this thread

Back