1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions

First

Back
343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352
354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363
Next

Last
  1. peterinvan
    Tweaking the EQ on your amplifier is a great way to tune headphones to your ears (or speakers to room acoustics).

KopaneDePooj likes this.
  2. Tuxan1
    Sounds like these cans are a waste of money from the reviews here.

3. JamesAnthony
    Just the opposite.

4. EricDH
    I use the PM-3 with the Dragonfly Red, with laptop, MacBook, and iPhone. The difference with the onboard DAC of these sources is huge. I can't put a percentage on it, but the little Dragonfly is really really worth the money. The PM-3 is just too good to be used on a laptop or phone directly. Once you add the Dragonfly (or any other dedicated DAC) you will start to use the PM-3's potential.

And what kind of quality improvement? Basically in all aspects. Bass extension goes lower, and cleaner. Better imaging, higher resolution, more air around the instruments. EACH aspect gets better. Not that this is the best DAC/amp you can buy, but neither is the PM-3 the best headphone in the world. But together they are a very good combination. IMHO of course...

And about Dragonfly Red vs Black. I tried both in the shop (not with the PM-3 though, with the Hifiman RE-400 in-ears). The Black sounds good already, but the Red clearly better. And, what was important for me, the Red has a higher output (plays louder). That was important for me, because I listen to classical music (with its soft parts) a lot.

Edit: one last piece of advise:
    Straight out of the box the PM-3 sounds dull, it is what it is, not even the best DAC/amp in the world can change that. The PM-3 really needs quite some time (100 hours or so) to burn in. I have seen so many posts here of people who sold the PM-3 again after only a quick listen. Give it time. Hook it up to your computer, and let music play constantly (internet radio or so) while you are away. And then after enough time decide whether you like the PM-3 or not.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    KopaneDePooj likes this.
  5. good sound
    Yes, a complete waste of time unless you want one of the best closed back phones in it's price range on the planet, planar or otherwise.

6. Paul Oorbeek
    Yep absolutely. I advice you to buy it and give it to me for free

7. KopaneDePooj
    Yeah, stay with the grados :p

8. KopaneDePooj
    Are there any aftermarket ear pads with a bit larger opening?
    The originals fit is a bit tight for me. I need ~ 6.5cm height. These are around 5.8 x 3.7 cm...

9. phthora
    A waste of money? I don't think so. Compared to the $800 AEONs, which are phenomenal, the PM3 holds its own. I had fully expected to sell my Oppo's after receiving my AEONs, but I just can't do it. They sound less open and less extended in the treble, less smooth in the FR, but they are still a great headphone. Maybe not everyone's ideal, but what is?

On the other hand, the PM3 may seem overpriced because Oppo has not followed the lead of HiFiMan in aggressively pricing their planar headphones. Because of the price difference, I would have a hard time recommending the PM3 blindly instead of the 400i, but both are well worth their asking price.

10. Addi Wei
    Hello all,
    I have an almost brand new PM3 and HA-2SE barely used for about 20 hours in an office environment. I purchased directly from Oppo about 2 months ago (all original boxes, accessories included). I am looking to sell the set to buy some golf clubs however I do not have 15 posts on this message board yet. If anyone is interested, please shoot me a message.

11. Uros
    Hello to everyone, sound wise, which sound better Meze 99 classics or Pm3's?

12. FastAndClean
    it depends, what sound do you like, colored or neutral?

13. Uros
    I listen to jazz, funk, blues, latino music..classical music, orchestra... House before night out...maybe little ballads when I am in the bad mood. :) So really dont know the differences between neutral and colored. I love bass... but also like (female) vocals .. mids.. :)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  14. FastAndClean
    meze have more bass and treble, pm3 more mids and overall neutral fast and clean sound

15. FastAndClean
    also pm3 can take bass eq like a champ, so if you want from time to time more bass, you can bump it up and they will take it

First

Back
343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352
354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363
Next

Last