Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Aug 31, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #5,266 of 6,302
@Shane D thanks i will check it out also. Allways open for new music.

You and me both! I spend at LEAST an hour or two every weekend checking out new releases in itunes for rock, alt rock and Jazz. Always looking for something new or an undiscovered gem.

Shane D

Sep 4, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #5,267 of 6,302
Nope. Thees are not for me. The pads are just to soft. They feel like on-ear. I'm coming from V-moda Crossfade LP (xl pads) on the go and ath 900x for gaming.

So thees are getting sold and think I'm getting sennheiser 569 instead as I have actually tested them and liked how they felt.

Sep 4, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #5,268 of 6,302
Nope. Thees are not for me. The pads are just to soft. They feel like on-ear. I'm coming from V-moda Crossfade LP (xl pads) on the go and ath 900x for gaming.

So thees are getting sold and think I'm getting sennheiser 569 instead as I have actually tested them and liked how they felt.

Whereabouts are you located?

Shane D

Sep 4, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #5,270 of 6,302
Sep 4, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #5,271 of 6,302
I'm trying to choose between these and the meze 99 classics.

unfortunately i have no way of auditioning these. price isn't an issue, i just want something with a decent sound signature. I really love the signature of the senn hd-650. strongly dislike something like the b&w p7 which has far far far too much bass. i like clarity but i'll be listening to these in an office setting while working so i wont be able to pay too much attention anyway.

which do you suggest?

Sep 4, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #5,272 of 6,302
I'm trying to choose between these and the meze 99 classics.

unfortunately i have no way of auditioning these. price isn't an issue, i just want something with a decent sound signature. I really love the signature of the senn hd-650. strongly dislike something like the b&w p7 which has far far far too much bass. i like clarity but i'll be listening to these in an office setting while working so i wont be able to pay too much attention anyway.

which do you suggest?

I am in the same boat as you and will follow intently.

Shane D

Sep 5, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #5,274 of 6,302
so I ended up pulling the trigger and buying these, they should be arriving thursday.

does anyone have any incite into how much of a difference a dragonfly red will make vs straight from a mac book pro?
like percentage wise what kind of quality benefit can I expect vs straight from source?

Sep 6, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #5,275 of 6,302
I too bought the PM-3 two days ago, I had tested them before briefly, and now I tested them thoroughly for one hour, and another 2 hours compared with Meze 99 Classics, Meze 99 Neo, Momentum 2 AE, B&W P7, NAD HP50.
Meze Classics have WAY more bass in comparison, and more pronounced highs also, and are more efficient. I liked them too. 99 Neo even more bass, a bit loose and bloated, general sound not as well integrated as in Classics.

Considering sound and comfort the PM-3 was the winner for me, I like them very much.
I tested all of them with my HTC 10 / Poweramp 3 Alpha / flac. It drives them very good.
One thing I observed: the sound of my new PM-3 is a bit congested out of the box, bass seems a bit weaker and high mids a bit overemphatic compared to what I heard in the showroom unit that is available for testing since 2015, so it has a lot of hours.
Already after listening one day, the sound seems to be more like what I heard in the showroom.

What is your experience with burn-in regarding this headphones?

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #5,278 of 6,302
I too bought the PM-3 two days ago, I had tested them before briefly, and now I tested them thoroughly for one hour, and another 2 hours compared with Meze 99 Classics, Meze 99 Neo, Momentum 2 AE, B&W P7, NAD HP50.
Meze Classics have WAY more bass in comparison, and more pronounced highs also, and are more efficient. I liked them too. 99 Neo even more bass, a bit loose and bloated, general sound not as well integrated as in Classics.

Considering sound and comfort the PM-3 was the winner for me, I like them very much.
I tested all of them with my HTC 10 / Poweramp 3 Alpha / flac. It drives them very good.
One thing I observed: the sound of my new PM-3 is a bit congested out of the box, bass seems a bit weaker and high mids a bit overemphatic compared to what I heard in the showroom unit that is available for testing since 2015, so it has a lot of hours.
Already after listening one day, the sound seems to be more like what I heard in the showroom.

What is your experience with burn-in regarding this headphones?
The PM3s take at least 100 hours to burn in, so be patient and you will be rewarded!

I use my PM3s more than any other headphone. I have gotten so used to the "closed sound" that I hardly use my open Audeze LCD2F any more.

I must confess that since I got my KEF LS50W active speakers, I don't listen to headphones except when retiring to bed.

Sep 11, 2017 at 3:07 AM Post #5,279 of 6,302
The PM3s take at least 100 hours to burn in, so be patient and you will be rewarded!

I use my PM3s more than any other headphone. I have gotten so used to the "closed sound" that I hardly use my open Audeze LCD2F any more.

I must confess that since I got my KEF LS50W active speakers, I don't listen to headphones except when retiring to bed.

Thanks! This message came right when I was wondering if I should return them, but I will give them more time. With some albums they sound perfect to me. Like "The Dark Side of the Moon" for example.
But most of the time I feel the need to add 2dB from 60 to 300 Hz and drop the 2K to 8K region by 1 or 2 dB to make them sound to my liking. I hope with time I will have to do this less often.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017 at 5:01 AM Post #5,280 of 6,302
If you're using a Mac or PC for your PM3, you should really give True-Fi a shot with these headphones in setting B. Tempers the slighly hot treble and boomy high bass. Highly recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back