OPPO PM-3 Portable Planar Magnetic Headphones Loaner Program
Jul 15, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #331 of 991
Just as a data point. I got the  number 2  PM-3 around 7:00 Monday (when I got home). I also got a Gustard H10. I only listened briefly, but I liked what I was hearing. I hope to have some time over the coming weekend to listen more.

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #332 of 991
I will be be out on vacation from July 20-July 28, so please take that into account before sending me the PM-3 Unit #3  headphones. If you can ship then on or after July 25, that would be great.

Jul 16, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #334 of 991
PM-3 Unit #6 is on its way.
I dropped it off today, but be on the lookout because it's not traveling far 
wink.gif

Jul 17, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #336 of 991
Alright been super busy last week or so, so my uptake on my uploads have been slow but finally here's both my full written review and unboxing and review video on the PM-3's

Full written review
http://www.head-fi.org/products/oppo-pm-3/reviews/13577

Unboxing video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEhOwxrW3YE&list=PLqffFckTWQ_sYFUDkcnIddbM3Mgx1ewzx&index=2

Review video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6BygllHn_k

Jul 17, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #337 of 991
I received the PM3's earlier today. What do I think? Well... I don't think very highly of them. I was running them from my Marantz PM5005, which sounds great with my Hifiman He400i and Grado SR80. These headphones sounded harsh, lacked fidelity, lacked resolution, and lacked soundstage. It sounded like all the instruments and vocals were piled on top of eachother.

I listened to Diana Krall @ 24/192 8000kbps and Lorde at 24/96 4000kbps and I was disappointed severely. Diana Krall's "Hit that Jive Jack" was particularly painful on these headphones. On my Kef Q300's and on my other headphones, I can clearly hear a sound stage where Diana Krall is in the middle and two male vocalists are on either side of her. On the Oppos I couldn't even HEAR the second male vocalist and the first one sounded like he was just jammed in there with Diana Krall, as if both were singing into the same microfone 6 inches away from eachother. 

I am so so so disappointed with these headphones. I'm actually quite upset that now I have to pay shipping to the next guy after spending all of 15 minutes with these painful-to-listen-to headphones. I'm not putting them on again. I was rather disgusted with the sound. Tomorrow my audiophile friend will be around and I'll have him listen to them. We have similar tastes so I think he'll be disgusted too.

Oh and to add insult to injury, these are the most uncomfortable over ear cans I have ever had on my head. Is Oppo serious with these ear pads? I have small ears for a man and the ear pad was literally sitting ON my ears, not around them. Garbage. 

I have heard $140 headphones that absolutely trample these Oppos in imaging and fidelity, IMHO. At $500+ Canadian these are a complete rip off in my opinion. I would recommend that someone jump off a cliff before I'd recommend that they buy Oppo PM3's. 

(Sorry Jiffy Squid)

I'm reading through the thread and seeing that a lot of you guys actually like these?? I find the character of the sound unbearable.

Jul 17, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #338 of 991
  I received the PM3's earlier today. What do I think? Well... I don't think very highly of them. I was running them from my Marantz PM5005, which sounds great with my Hifiman He400i and Grado SR80. These headphones sounded harsh, lacked fidelity, lacked resolution, and lacked soundstage. It sounded like all the instruments and vocals were piled on top of eachother.

I listened to Diana Krall @ 24/192 8000kbps and Lorde at 24/96 4000kbps and I was disappointed severely. Diana Krall's "Hit that Jive Jack" was particularly painful on these headphones. On my Kef Q300's and on my other headphones, I can clearly hear a sound stage where Diana Krall is in the middle and two male vocalists are on either side of her. On the Oppos I couldn't even HEAR the second male vocalist and the first one sounded like he was just jammed in there with Diana Krall, as if both were singing into the same microfone 6 inches away from eachother. 

I am so so so disappointed with these headphones. I'm actually quite upset that now I have to pay shipping to the next guy after spending all of 15 minutes with these painful-to-listen-to headphones. I'm not putting them on again. I was rather disgusted with the sound. Tomorrow my audiophile friend will be around and I'll have him listen to them. We have similar tastes so I think he'll be disgusted too.

Oh and to add insult to injury, these are the most uncomfortable over ear cans I have ever had on my head. Is Oppo serious with these ear pads? I have small ears for a man and the ear pad was literally sitting ON my ears, not around them. Garbage. 

I have heard $140 headphones that absolutely trample these Oppos in imaging and fidelity, IMHO. At $500+ Canadian these are a complete rip off in my opinion. I would recommend that someone jump off a cliff before I'd recommend that they buy Oppo PM3's. 

(Sorry Jiffy Squid)

I'm reading through the thread and seeing that a lot of you guys actually like these?? I find the character of the sound unbearable.

Pretty harsh !  I have had my set since Monday evening, though only had them on my head for maybe an hour. I need some more time with them which I should get this weekend. I have not analyzed  instrument separation or depth of the sound field, but the FR seems pleasant. I did not that I was beginning to "feel" the headphones after only half an hour. This is usually not an indication that they would be good for me for long term listening.

I will see what kind of opinion I have if I can get more time with these over the weekend.

BTW I think the few dollars in shipping them is quite cheap for the chance to hear these in my environment. Everyone knew the potential risk before signing up.

Jul 17, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #339 of 991
Amazing how different people react to the same product.  I loved the PM-3s, the look and feel, the fit, the sound were worth way more than $400.  I am definitely going to buy a pair at the end of the summer.

When I first read the post by @mistersprinkles I figured they were a paid troll for some company that's getting their backside cleaned by Oppo who is selling a ton of these PM-3s.  The stellar reviews by all serious mags and blogs has got to be helping them.  Oppo has clearly demonstrated that electrostatic cans don't have to cost an arm and a leg to be outstanding. 

After thinking about it I just decided the OP just doesn't like then and should probably just send them on to the next person on the list and leave it at that.

Jul 17, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #340 of 991
  Amazing how different people react to the same product.  I loved the PM-3s, the look and feel, the fit, the sound were worth way more than $400.  I am definitely going to buy a pair at the end of the summer.

When I first read the post by @mistersprinkles I figured they were a paid troll for some company that's getting their backside cleaned by Oppo who is selling a ton of these PM-3s.  The stellar reviews by all serious mags and blogs has got to be helping them.  Oppo has clearly demonstrated that electrostatic cans don't have to cost an arm and a leg to be outstanding. 

After thinking about it I just decided the OP just doesn't like then and should probably just send them on to the next person on the list and leave it at that.

Amen... with the limited time I have had with the PM3, I will not say it is my favorite headphone ever... It most certainly did not make me cringe upon first listening. I am not sure how anyone can be so negative about and sound based upon a few minutes of listening. Seems like there could be more there than we know.

Jul 17, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #342 of 991
I got a cool box handed to me from my wife......

What's that? 

I don't remember buying anything (that was due to arrive soon - lol)

Well, my loaner PM-3 is here....

First impressions - clear and punchy. Now I am an IEM head - pretty strictly. I haven't spent any real money on full size headphones because.... 

Damn - I'm listening to these and my reasons aren't flowing...) Listening through iPod 5.5 SSD & Pico Power... these like a bit of amping. Maybe the other times I listened to full size headphones I didn't own an amplifier 
biggrin.gif

These are the first headphones - really - that I have ever used the Apple EQ "Bass Booster" and it didn't muddy things up. I never use the EQ, but they seemed to be missing a tiny bit of low end - I have tried these with my Oppo HA-2 tonight - and I used the bass switch there, so I thought I would try the Apple one....

How much $$ are these again? 

EDIT: Just read the "takedown" of the PM-3 above - lol.... Grado and 400i.... I guess if the treble isn't piercing his ears, it's muddy. Some like those particular frequencies boosted to reveal "clarity" - but disgusting? If his audiophile friend is over eighteen years old, I doubt he'll use the same term.

Jul 18, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #344 of 991
  PM-3 Unit #6 is on its way.
I dropped it off today, but be on the lookout because it's not traveling far 
wink.gif

I received a PM from the next person that Unit #6 arrived on Friday, though the person did not post it here.
I'm posting for the records.

Jul 18, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #345 of 991
Thanks Sheldaze - Sorry if I was supposed to post that here as well. Enjoying the PM-3's sound, fit and finish, and comfort, except the ears do get a bit hot, though probably not worse than other leatherette-earpad closed phones. Really wish all headphone makers would use velour earpads - Beyerdynamics are my favorites in this regard but none of their current phones fit my need quite like the PM-3 does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back