OPPO PM-3 Portable Planar Magnetic Headphones Loaner Program
Sep 15, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #904 of 991
So, during my time with the Oppos I compared them to my stable of headphones, HD-650, DT-880, HP50, M4U1. All things considered, they're probably the best of the bunch, and I ended up selling a pair of Nad HP50s (wife and I each had a pair, so one can go) to partially fund the purchase of a set of PM-3s.

Now, that said, each of those cans does something better than the PM-3s, but none of them do everything as well as the PM-3s, and none of them can match the PM-3 in two categories, naturalness and texture (which are kinda two sides of the same coin). With the PM-3s, everything sounds... right. I can't come up with a better description. Every instrument sounds believable. There are no awkward emphasized/recessed instruments. There is no cacophony wall of sound. Every instrument sounds like an instrument, not a reproduction of one. I never realized just what my bass was missing until I realized with the PM-3 that drums sound like drums. bass guitar sounds like bass guitar. electronica and hip-hop bass sounds like produced and engineered sound as opposed to a boomy mess.

They're not perfect, they're not endgame, but they're worth the purchase, easily. In my growing group of cans, the PM-3s are the Bard of the group. The red mage. The jack of all trades that does everything at a "B+" level and several unique things at an "A" level.

I must say though, now I really wonder what open planars sound like. HE-400i are tempting. Too bad there's no loaner program for those.

Sep 15, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #905 of 991
I live in Singapore and unfortunately the local distributor here isn't interested in replacing the ear pads for my PM-3 even though I'm willing to pay for the service. I really love my PM-3s which I've been using since May 2015 but the quality of the ear pads are pretty poor as they tend to wear off even though I keep my cans stored in the denim case that comes with the PM-3s.

I hope that when Oppo introduces the next version of the PM-3s, they would make it easier for the end-user to replace the pads by themselves. and please introduce the wonderful lambskin ear pads that I'm currently enjoying on my PM-1. these are really wonderful :)

meanwhile, is there anywhere I can send my PM-3s to have the ear pads replaced for a reasonable price please? any info would be appreciated, thanks!

Sep 16, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #907 of 991
Hey veda,

Just wondering if you have received and/or shipped out the PM3's yet? The guy before you said he shipped them out on Aug 16, so it's now been a month. Just looking for an update.

Thanks,
Chris

Sep 29, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #909 of 991
... And, they're off, to tmac I guess.  You're going to like these!  Sorry it's been a little longer than a week, but I didn't get the next address until Tuesday and couldn't get them out the next day (today is Thursday). 

I'll post a review within a week, but for now suffice it to say that these little cans are wonderful!  Thanks to Oppo for the opportunity to give these a good listening to; it was well worth it.

Sep 29, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #910 of 991
Just got unit #3  today I am listening to them, and like most of us here I like what I am earing.

Oct 4, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #911 of 991
  ... And, they're off, to tmac I guess.  You're going to like these!  Sorry it's been a little longer than a week, but I didn't get the next address until Tuesday and couldn't get them out the next day (today is Thursday). 

I'll post a review within a week, but for now suffice it to say that these little cans are wonderful!  Thanks to Oppo for the opportunity to give these a good listening to; it was well worth it.

Thanks CoffeeDog. I was away this weekend, pleasantly surprise to find the headphones waiting for me. It is a really busy week for me and will audition these over the weekend. My initial thought is it meet my lofty expectations - played my current favorite song - Kings of summer, really impressed by the sound stage (for the closed headphone) and the mids. Looking forward to spending an afternoon this weekend auditioning the headphones.

Oct 11, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #912 of 991
Hey,

I was interested in the loaner program since I am researching some planar headphones currently (Hifiman and Oppo).

Thanks,

Oct 20, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #913 of 991

Thanks CoffeeDog. I was away this weekend, pleasantly surprise to find the headphones waiting for me. It is a really busy week for me and will audition these over the weekend. My initial thought is it meet my lofty expectations - played my current favorite song - Kings of summer, really impressed by the sound stage (for the closed headphone) and the mids. Looking forward to spending an afternoon this weekend auditioning the headphones.

Hey, I was wondering if you sent the headphones out yet? I'm anxiously waiting to give them a good listen.

Thanks,
David

Oct 22, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #914 of 991

Hey, I was wondering if you sent the headphones out yet? I'm anxiously waiting to give them a good listen.

Thanks,
David

Everything is packed and will drop it off at UPS on Monday. You are in for a treat, the fit and quality of the headphone, how comfortable it is, and the sound, it is all top notched. It is a relatively expensive headphone (for me). Since I was able to experience the headphones first hand, thanks to this program, I decided to purchase one.

Cheers,
Terry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back