OPPO PM-3 Portable Planar Magnetic Headphones Loaner Program
Jun 14, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #271 of 991
PM-3 Canada Unit #1 shipped off to larrybuttress today.

Larry, I hope you enjoy the pm3's as much as I did! Awesome headphones.

Jun 14, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #272 of 991
Unit 4 has moved on to the next person.

Review to go with it:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/oppo-pm-3/reviews/13332

Jun 15, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #273 of 991
Good Afternoon,

I would be interested in being added to the Oppo PM-3 list.  I understand and agree to the terms and conditions of this program.

Thanks
MWSVette

Jun 17, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #275 of 991

Got the PM-3's yesterday! Thanks, Wayne.

At first I was disappointed with the sound. It was all centred with no soundstage to speak. Then I switched the cable and found that the regular short length 3.5 mm cable was the problem. Now they sound fabulous! Very similar to the PM-1's I've been testing. The only other thing I have noticed is that they were a bit hot on my head last night, which was a warm night in Vancouver. I have not had that issue with the PM-1's, using the real leather ear pads.
I will report back more as my testing continues, but already I can tell that I will not feel the need to spend the extra money for the PM-1's. Having said that, I don't need any of the upgraded cabling that comes with that pair. I'm not saying the PM-1's aren't great, because they are, but my use is probably better served by closed backs, and at least early in my testing (I also have the PM-1's right now) my ears don't hear another $700 worth of sound quality comparing the two.

Jun 17, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #276 of 991
Shipped PM-3 #5 to Xylonized today. Enjoy!!! Will post review soon.

Thanks OPPO for this wonderful program.

Jun 17, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #277 of 991
I'd like to sign up if it's not too late.  What do I need to do?  Thanks.

Jun 17, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #278 of 991
I'd like to sign up if it's not too late.  What do I need to do?  Thanks.
welcome to the thread and to get in simply go to the first page read the terms and conditions and if you agree with each of them post that you have reas and agree with the terms and conditions and wait and see if you're added. Best of luck!

Jun 18, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #280 of 991

At first I was disappointed with the sound. It was all centred with no soundstage to speak. Then I switched the cable and found that the regular short length 3.5 mm cable was the problem. Now they sound fabulous! Very similar to the PM-1's I've been testing. The only other thing I have noticed is that they were a bit hot on my head last night, which was a warm night in Vancouver. I have not had that issue with the PM-1's, using the real leather ear pads.
I will report back more as my testing continues, but already I can tell that I will not feel the need to spend the extra money for the PM-1's. Having said that, I don't need any of the upgraded cabling that comes with that pair. I'm not saying the PM-1's aren't great, because they are, but my use is probably better served by closed backs, and at least early in my testing (I also have the PM-1's right now) my ears don't hear another $700 worth of sound quality comparing the two.

Damn - I didn't even try any of the other cables! When I first tried them with the short cable though, I was thinking "what's wrong with these"?... until I figured out that I didn't have the cable pushed all the way into the headphone jack (nice boy, just built a little low to the ground). Sounded wonderful to me after that! I wish I'd tried the other cables now though.

Jun 18, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #281 of 991

Damn - I didn't even try any of the other cables! When I first tried them with the short cable though, I was thinking "what's wrong with these"?... until I figured out that I didn't have the cable pushed all the way into the headphone jack (nice boy, just built a little low to the ground). Sounded wonderful to me after that! I wish I'd tried the other cables now though.

I switched between the iphone and regular cables several times and noticed no difference.  I wasn't looking for any sonic differences though, it was purely out of necessity.

Jun 18, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #282 of 991

@larrybuttress what cable did you switch to that made the PM-3s sound better?

Jun 18, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #283 of 991
I switched to the iphone one, but I now realize that these cables only work properly in one direction. In other words I had the wrong end plugged into the headphones. The size is the same and I didn't notice any distinction, but when I reversed the direction they worked fine.

Jun 18, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #284 of 991

Hi Wayne,

Clearly I'm even a little bit lower to the ground than you are. It must come from living on the left coast. When I tried the second cable last night and it didn't work properly I went to a third cable and it did. The light slowly went on and I reversed the direction of the cables and they all worked just fine. It was dark in my listening room - not that much light slowly went on - so I couldn't see if there are directional indicators on the cables.

The difference when I had them inserted the wrong way was that the sound was either entirely in the middle, like a mono recording, or was cutting out on one speaker or the other. Once I got the cable direction correct the soundstage opened right up and they sounded fabulous!

Larry

Jun 22, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #285 of 991
I'd like to be added to the loaner program. I'm in Pickering, Ontario, and I agree to the terms and conditions.

I've been a Head-Fi member since 2006 but I haven't made many posts. I realize that you guys may be suspicious of me because of that, but I'm just a broke audiophile trying to experience new things. I'm considering buying these headphones but as I am unable to buy them locally I might get Hifiman He400i's instead. However, if I like the Oppo PM3 I might buy a pair of them as well so that I can start my long-desired headphone collection. 

I've never broken any of my things and I'm very careful with everything I own so you can rest assured that the headphones will be well taken care of while they're here. 
Please contact me if I can be part of the loaner program.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back