OPPO PM-3 Portable Planar Magnetic Headphones Loaner Program
Apr 27, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #142 of 991
I received my PM-3 loaner unit today. Here are my first impressions.

Hardware

1) I really like the cable options that came with the loaner.  Four in all.  Android Phone w/ mic, iPhone w/ mic, and two plain 3.5mm to 3.5mm.  Very nicely terminated.  Also comes with a 3.5mm to 6.5mm adapter.  All gold plated.
2) The carry case is very nice too.
3) The headphone is almost all metal.  The ear cups are plastic and of course the head band and ear pads are leather.
4) For portability, the size is very good for an over the ear headphone.
5) Excellent comfort.  The clamp force is a little tight for my liking.  I'm not sure if you can bend these to alleviate some clamping.  There is a plastic guide all the way down the back of the adjustable part of the headband that might break.
5) Very nice fit and finish as always from Oppo.

Audio Reproduction - I'm listening to Diana Krall's Girl in the Other Room album in DSD64 format

1) Signal path - PC USB -> Audioquest Forest USB cable -> Schitt Wyrd USB Decrapifyer -> Audioquest Forest USB Cable -> Oppo HA-1 -> Kimber Cable Hero balanced interconnects -> Little Dot MK VI+
2) They take a little time to warm up.  The reason I say this is when I first plugged them into my Little Dot MK VI+ they were very "boomy" and lacking refinement.  It almost sounded like a tube amp that hadn't warmed up yet.  I had been listening to the same album with my HiFiman HE-560s just before so the amp was warmed up.  Once I listened to the PM-3s for about 5 minutes they came alive. 
3) While listening to the opening to "Temptation" the pluck of the bass is very satisfying.  The bass notes are well separated and articulate. 
4) The instrument separation is very good. .  One thing that I always listen for when auditioning audio equipment is the hammer strikes of the piano at the beginning of "Almost Blue".  With superior quality equipment you can hear the distinct strike and recoil of the hammer on each note. I heard this without fail with the PM-3s.

Overall so far I like the PM-3s

I'll post more impressions as my audition time increases.

-Jeff     

Apr 28, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #143 of 991
A bit of a follow-up on my listening impressions from work today...

1) I have a bit of a different setup at work.  Here is my signal path: USB from laptop -> Generic USB cable -> Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 Plus -> Oppo PM-3

2) While listening to Goo Goo Dolls Iris...  The PM-3s seem bright with the guitar at the begining of the song and the Mavrick Audio D1. It almost hurt my ears.  I say almost, so I can still listen.

3) The efficiency of the PM-3s makes me turn the volume knob all the way down where I can still hear.  The issue is it is still  little to loud for my liking.  The Maverick D1 isn't a good match for the PM-3s. 

4) I'm getting used to the clamping now.  It's OK but still a little tight.

5) The Maverick D1 isn't a good match for the PM-3s.

Apr 28, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #144 of 991
I just handed my loaners off today.

I loved everything about them except the pads. I would give up a little portability for a little more ear space. My ears were squished.

That didn't stop me from ordering them though. Great portables, but give me my lcds any day of the week when I'm relaxing in my hifi chair.

A little bright, but easy to get used to.

Apr 28, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #145 of 991
I just handed my loaners off today.

I loved everything about them except the pads. I would give up a little portability for a little more ear space. My ears were squished.

That didn't stop me from ordering them though. Great portables, but give me my lcds any day of the week when I'm relaxing in my hifi chair.

A little bright, but easy to get used to.

Have you tried the PM-2 yet?  Bigger pads, smoother/warmer sound... I found that I preferred them in almost every way to the similar LCD-2f.  Just curious what your thoughts are if you have.

If not, you might try jumping on to the PM-2 loaner program!

Apr 28, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #146 of 991
Have you tried the PM-2 yet?  Bigger pads, smoother/warmer sound... I found that I preferred them in almost every way to the similar LCD-2f.  Just curious what your thoughts are if you have.

I totally understand., but I want and need closed for portable use. I have ordered the pm3s. I really do like them, even with their shortcomings, they are till way better than the competition.

Now I'm looking for an office phone. EL8 open or pm2?

Apr 28, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #147 of 991
I totally understand., but I want and need closed for portable use. I have ordered the pm3s. I really do like them, even with their shortcomings, they are till way better than the competition.

Now I'm looking for an office phone. EL8 open or pm2?

IMO, the EL-8 sounds weird and is totally not worth the asking price.  It's not a BAD headphone, but you can get other headphones for $700 that don't have a MASSIVE dip in the upper mids/lower treble making the whole things sound oddly disconnected.  The obvious choices are the PM-2 if you prefer slightly warm or the HE-560 (open box from Razordog Audio) if you prefer slightly bright.

Apr 28, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #148 of 991

I did try the pm1 at the local guy. I really prefferred my 2.2s pre fazor, by quite a bit.
I really hate the looks of the el8. They look like they came out of a 1950s rec room.

P.S. I was born in the fifties.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back