OPPO PM-3 [Australia - New Zealand Tour] - Review and Impressions
Jun 15, 2015 at 9:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

d marc0

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello guys! The OPPO PM-3 Aus-NZ Tour has officially started.

The introduction of OPPO's first line-up of planar magnetic headphones has sparked a new fan base. At first, the company released two premium open back, full-sized headphones that were marketed to offer a different way of thinking about planar magnetic technology. Their goal was to provide life-like natural sound quality coupled with reduced weight for added comfort not commonly attained by similar products in this category. The result was a warm reception from the head-fi community thanks to OPPO's passionate engineering team.

Then came the PM-3, OPPO's first portable planar magnetic headphones.
The PM-3 combines true audiophile performance, elegant styling, noise isolation and portability into a pair of sleek lightweight Planar Magnetic headphones. According to OPPO, these are ​
the world's lightest closed-back planar magnetic headphones. Ideal for someone who is always on the go. Its elegant styling and exquisite workmanship make the headphones a pleasure to wear in public, and its light weight and exceptional comfort make it easy to listen for hours on end. Unlike the first two releases (PM-1 & PM-2) the PM-3 is closed-back by design to provide isolation from the outside world, blocking out the surrounding noise while avoiding sound leakage from the headphones. Perfect for music listening while on-the-go.​

This is my own personal unit and I have no connection with OPPO. I just like to share this experience with a few notable members in the community because this is one of the few ways for everyone to gain experience and enjoyment in this hobby. The OPPO PM-3 is on its way to our dear friend SVYR! Hopefully he will find the PM-3 worthy of its purpose for portability and sound quality. A full review is NOT required for this tour; an honest feedback or impression will suffice. If the members want to review the unit, please feel free to do so. It'll be highly appreciated. Each member will have the unit for 10 days excluding transit times and I'm hoping that the transition from a tour member to another will go as smoothly as possible. Everyone is already familiar with the tour guide but there are two ultimate rules: "Please treat the tour unit like it's your very own... and happy listening!"

Along with the OPPO stock straight cable, included is a silver plated cable for your perusal. Feel free to check the effect in sound using different cables although there may be no difference to your ears. Personally, I find the silver plated cable to lift a bit more edge to the lower treble but also a bit more unrefined overall. I may not be accurate about this but unfortunately I don't have the measuring tools that I can use to measure and prove this. I have brought this to Tyll's (Innerfidelity.com) attention but I believe he didn't find any measurable difference. So, have a go and let us know...

How this tour will go down... (as per previous tours)

10 days each.

The unit must be sent to the next member with tracking and signature. (express post is not required)

On receiving the unit you're to acknowledge that you're in possession of the gear by posting in the thread.

Full reviews and photos are encouraged in this tour and there's no time deadline for such. 

All tour review links and impressions are to be posted here. Review may also be posted at Head-fi's review section.
(I will cross post them to the main OPPO PM-3 thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/756828/oppo-pm-3-the-portable-planar-impressions/1755#post_11687658

Tour Members:
@d marc0          
@svyr               
@Loquah          
@White Lotus  
@H20Fidelity     
@DJScope          
@fnkcow           
@djvkool           
@Brooko            

Review Links:
@svyr             - http://www.head-fi.org/t/771561/oppo-pm-3-australia-new-zealand-tour-review-and-impressions
@Loquah         - http://www.head-fi.org/t/771561/oppo-pm-3-australia-new-zealand-tour-review-and-impressions/15
@fnkcow         - http://www.head-fi.org/products/oppo-pm-3/reviews/14121

My apologies for the short list of members... this is my personal unit and it's what I use as reference when writing other reviews. If anyone in the current list withdraws from the tour, I'll be happy to accept a replacement subject for approval (based on feedback and reputation).

Jun 15, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #2 of 31
reserved

Jun 15, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #3 of 31
Thanks for setting this up, Mark, looking forward to it.

Might I say you've been overly generous setting up these tours.  
beerchug.gif

Jun 16, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #4 of 31
  Thanks for setting this up, Mark, looking forward to it.

Might I say you've been overly generous setting up these tours.  
beerchug.gif

You're welcome mate!

I'm just paying it forward... this is what the community is all about.
I remember being sent demo units by you way back when I started in this hobby.
So thank you!
beerchug.gif

Jun 17, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #6 of 31
Jun 17, 2015 at 4:55 AM Post #9 of 31
I've been very excited to hear this one for a while now. The PM3 and the Fidelio X2.

Your wish is granted! Fidelio X2 is next...

Jun 17, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #11 of 31
Gentlemen, I forgot to mention that along with the OPPO stock straight cable, included is a silver plated cable for your perusal. Feel free to check the effect in sound using different cables although there may be no difference to your ears. Personally, I find the silver plated cable to lift a bit more edge to the lower treble but also a bit more unrefined overall. I may not be accurate about this but unfortunately I don't have the measuring tools that I can use to measure and prove this. I have brought this to Tyll's (Innerfidelity.com) attention but I believe he didn't find any measurable difference. So, have a go and let us know...

Jun 17, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #12 of 31
Jun 21, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #14 of 31
thank you for including me Marc.

Will try to get a pic or two tomorrow.

Been using your PM3 for a few days with a note 3 on the way to/from work on the train.
with some EQ (-2db at 9k, plus lots of bass via DSP settings).

They do indeed look extremely eye pleasing and feel very solid with the metal and leather parts.
The only thing I slightly dislike is the sharp-ish metal corners. (Idk if I'd prefer a soft case with the hard shell ones as well).

I do like the comfort - comfortable. Ears just fit the cups me but YMMV. The isolation is good as well.
I can feel the weight but it's acceptable And much better fit than on1. However, they do get a bit warm in 15-20 degree weather.
Generally I can wear them comfortably at work for 3 hours before i feel them in my neck slightly .

Personally I fell they're neural bright with forward enough but slightly cold mids .
I need less treble at 9K and quite a bit more bass and sub bass (while the popular opinion is i'm bass crazy, these have good extension but the amount and the sub-bass prominence don't quite do it for me). Couldn't get that from EQ on jet audio (note 3), had to use magical DSP in the JetAudio android player.

I gotta say I probably like them more than Thinksound on1 . Which is rather high praise.
Same slight sound-stage qualm but otherwise after minor EQ to me they sound well balanced and really enjoyable with excellent detail retrieval (I probably also like them as much as H300)

I also found they pair really well with the Xduoo X2 (and the extra bass DBB setting) for my liking.

Haven't really tried them with the clip so not sure what bass boost I need in human terms and not in vendor specific EQ/DSP terms

I'm really tempted to buy a pair and sell my on1 s but $US400, 550 aud is a really quite expensive. That said I don't know if I'd necessarily treat them as portables - IMO they can make it as the 'one can set to do everything set'.

I do like the silver cable for portable as lot - flexible, looks durable and makes hardly any noise (aftermarket?) - it would be awesome if they sell it as a remote added version as well. (I suppose, worst case the stock remote cable is quite affordable http://www.oppodigital.com.au/products/oppo-pm-3-1-2m-cable-with-microphone-inline-remote )

Jun 21, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #15 of 31
thank you for including me Marc.

Will try to get a pic or two tomorrow.

Been using your PM3 for a few days with a note 3 on the way to/from work on the train.
with some EQ (-2db at 9k, plus lots of bass via DSP settings).

They do indeed look extremely eye pleasing and feel very solid with the metal and leather parts.
The only thing I slightly dislike is the sharp-ish metal corners. (Idk if I'd prefer a soft case with the hard shell ones as well).

I do like the comfort - comfortable. Ears just fit the cups me but YMMV. The isolation is good as well.
I can feel the weight but it's acceptable And much better fit than on1. However, they do get a bit warm in 15-20 degree weather.
Generally I can wear them comfortably at work for 3 hours before i feel them in my neck slightly .

Personally I fell they're neural bright with forward enough but slightly cold mids .
I need less treble at 9K and quite a bit more bass and sub bass (while the popular opinion is i'm bass crazy, these have good extension but the amount and the sub-bass prominence don't quite do it for me). Couldn't get that from EQ on jet audio (note 3), had to use magical DSP in the JetAudio android player.

I gotta say I probably like them more than Thinksound on1 . Which is rather high praise.
Same slight sound-stage qualm but otherwise after minor EQ to me they sound well balanced and really enjoyable with excellent detail retrieval (I probably also like them as much as H300)

I also found they pair really well with the Xduoo X2 (and the extra bass DBB setting) for my liking.

Haven't really tried them with the clip so not sure what bass boost I need in human terms and not in vendor specific EQ/DSP terms

I'm really tempted to buy a pair and sell my on1 s but $US400, 550 aud is a really quite expensive. That said I don't know if I'd necessarily treat them as portables - IMO they can make it as the 'one can set to do everything set'.

I do like the silver cable for portable as lot - flexible, looks durable and makes hardly any noise (aftermarket?) - it would be awesome if they sell it as a remote added version as well. (I suppose, worst case the stock remote cable is quite affordable http://www.oppodigital.com.au/products/oppo-pm-3-1-2m-cable-with-microphone-inline-remote )

Glad you're enjoying your time with the PM-3!

Yes the cable is quite nice. I'm pretty sure they can add a remote if you request it.
The seller is: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281199686467?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=580244812777&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I didn't get the OPPO cable with remote because they're very similar to the Apple cables which I don't like.
Fortunately the stock straight cable is of good quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back