OPPO PM-1 / PM-2 Loaner Program
Nov 13, 2015 at 7:51 AM Post #482 of 761
Can someone explain how I would "hear" treble roll off? Short of owning a pair that "don't..."

Nov 16, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #483 of 761
No takers? Oppo lists range as 10 Hz to 50 kHz, so "audibly" what is roll off? That's 30 kHz above human hearing...

Most reviews list this as the biggest con.

Nov 16, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #484 of 761
No takers? Oppo lists range as 10 Hz to 50 kHz, so "audibly" what is roll off? That's 30 kHz above human hearing...

Most reviews list this as the biggest con.

The easiest way is to listen to a headphone that is commonly described as having detailed treble, extended treble, sparkly treble, etc. and then to compare it to a headphone commonly regarded as having treble roll off, dark, veiled, etc. I know you asked how to tell without directly comparing headphones but... it really is better to hear the difference yourself by comparing. You can look at headphone measurement graphs and see that certain frequency ranges measure at different decibels but it is better hear the headphones and draw your own conclusions imo.

What your are asking is kind of like asking how do i know if something is sweet without tasting it. Well, I could try to describe the sensation of sweetness but it would be way more effective for you to just eat something sweet and compare to foods deemed not sweet. Of course, with food, there is the obvious indicator of sweetness in the presence of sugar, but there is no obvious headphone ingredient indicating that a headphone definitely does or doesn't suffer from treble roll off except your ears. Headphone measurements are often used to determine things like roll off, but many people dispute the notion that measurements are the objective authority on how a headphone sounds. People sometimes report hearing things that do not correspond to measurements. I'm not here to tell you that Oppo's headphones measure one way or the other or that I agree or disagree with using measurements as an objective authority--I'm simply trying to give you information. 

I'd be more than happy to report whether or not I find the treble to be rolled off when I get my turn with the PM-1.

Nov 17, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #485 of 761
  The easiest way is to listen to...

I'd be more than happy to report whether or not I find the treble to be rolled off when I get my turn with the PM-1.

Thanks joeq70! I just didn't want to develop a perceived bias. If the loaner program was true to form I'd have them next week but the person before me hasn't gotten them yet. 

Nov 18, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #486 of 761
I posted saying I was interested in the PM-2s at the beginning of October but have heard nothing, was I skipped?
EDIT: Did more digging and found I am am getting close but couldn't figure out how to delete this post, if you can delete posts somehow then I'll delete this sorry.

Nov 19, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #487 of 761
 I owned both and I the reason I have both is because of these loaner programs.  I use my PM-3 with my dragonfly 2.1 and Oneplus1 or Oneplus 2 at work as environmental noise is present.  The PM-1 is used at home or if I'm in my hotel room when I'm traveling with my Macbook Retina or ONEPLUS 2 usually partnered with my LRYR 2 and BIFROST or with HA-2.

Nov 22, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #488 of 761
Quick Review PM-2
Day 1:
I forgot to get some pics when the sun was up, so I'll break out the SLR in a few days and get some better pics. These are all cellphone pics.

Quality: These are the best built headphones I've ever seen. (I've never used the PM-1's) They don't have the boutique/cottage industry feel that Audeze and Hifiman do. They also don't have the mass market plasticky feel of Sennheiser and AKG. If you want an automotive reference, picture the PM-2's as a really high end BMW/MB/Audi. In comparison I'd put Audeze/Hifiman as kit cars and Sennheiser/AKG's as the Toyota Camry's of the group. I feel like they could be abused without any fear of damage. I'd never throw my AKG's into my suitcase without a lot of protection. I could throw these in with no risk whatsoever. The pair I'm demoing have been through many users and still look great.

That being said, a few minor issues have popped up. Keep in mind that these have been through many users, I have no idea how they have been treated.
1: I don't know if the headphones were dropped, but one cup rotates slightly more than the other. As you can see in the picture one cup will actually allow the cable to rub while the other stops just short of rubbing. I am thinking this is probably related to accidental damage more than manufacturing problems, but it still makes me wonder how durable the joint on the cups actually are.

2: This is obviously from accidental damage. I don't know the replacement cost for a new cord, but on the oppo website a 5M cord is $199. I can't imagine this being less than $150. I don't know how the damage occurred, but it makes me worry that the connections into the cup might be a little too thin to make a durable cable.

3: The cable quality. The 6.35mm cable is excellent. I don't think $150 is too much if this cable was purchased separately. It's got a really nice cloth jacket, thick cables after the split, and high quality connections. The 3.5mm cable is quite the opposite. Honestly, $20 would be about my limit for a replacement. It's very thin, short, flimsy, and has cheap connections. If you are planning to use these headphones exclusively with a 3.5mm connection keep in mind that you'll be paying for a really nice 6.35mm cable that won't be used. Personally I'd rather see the PM-2 come with a slightly cheaper 6.35mm cable and a nicer 3.5mm cable. Perhaps a 2m ~$75 version of each. The PM-2's have 102 dB per 1mW sensitivity. They can easily be driven from an iPhone. Unfortunately the cheap short 3.5mm cable discourages it. (It's early in my impressions, but they do sound WAY better with an amp.)

4: The 6.35mm really is about 10x the cable of the 3.5mm.

Overall, the quality is excellent. With the exception of the cup joint, I couldn't find a single thing wrong with the actual cans. If you're planning on only using a 6.35mm connection you won't be disappointed with anything in the kit. All of the pads are of decent quality. The denim carrying case is great. It won't blow you're mind, but it is worthy of protecting $699 cans. Keep in mind, the box wasn't sent with the demo units, so I can't comment on that.

Nov 23, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #489 of 761
What is the status of PM-1 unit #2???  I cannot find any posts regarding that unit.  Been with @Japheel a while.

Nov 28, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #491 of 761
  What is the status of PM-1 unit #2???  I cannot find any posts regarding that unit.  Been with @Japheel a while.

Status? Holiday shopping season is among us so delay in shipping?

Nov 29, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #492 of 761
  Status? Holiday shopping season is among us so delay in shipping?

actually kind of forgot about it for a bit. Tried contacting Jiffy yesterday about who to ship it out to and I havent gotten a response back yet. Will ship out asap.

Nov 29, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #493 of 761
Final wrap up:
It was kind of a crazy week, so this isn't going to be as thorough as I hoped.

Comfort: The PM-2's fix all the problems from the PM-3's. The ear cups make a big difference. They aren't HD800 level on comfort, but comfort still won't be an issue for most. They are fairly light for planars. If you've been scared off by the weight found in some planars (I.e. Audeze), the OPPOs maybe your answer.

Quality: The entire OPPO line is a step above the rest of the industry in build quality. The only cheap feeling part on the PM-2's is corrected on the PM-1's. (The swivel is plastic. It's ironic because it is plastic fascia covering up cast aluminum and milled screws. It almost feels like OPPO designed the PM-1 and then tried to make the PM-2 "cheaper" without it actually being substantially cheaper to manufacturer.) Also, as mentioned previously, the 3.5mm cable is a joke.

Sound: The OPPOs have a very nice neutral to warm sound signature. They can compete with most anything in the ~$699 range. Unfortunately they would be completely outclassed in the $1000+ range that the PM-1 resides in. I think that OPPO needs to can the PM-1 and put a metal swivel on the PM-2. For a freshman effort, they're definitely players in the headphone game.

Final: I think OPPO is has a winner on their hands with the PM-2. It's doesn't dominate the class like the PM-3s do, but the price range the PM-2s are in is fairly stacked. The HD650 and HE560 beat the PM-2s in fidelity, but they both lag far behind in build quality and materials. Even the wood of the hifiman doesn't look as good as the cast aluminum of the OPPOs. I'm excited to see the next set of cans that OPPO releases.

Dec 9, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #494 of 761
The PM-2s are on their way to the next person. Had to get a new box due to the fact the one I received them in was terribly beaten and damaged. Really enjoyed using these headphones, makes it hard going back to the old headphones I'm using. I hope to upgrade soon anyway but thank you for the opportunity to test such an amazing headphone Jiffy. Hope the next users enjoy it as much as I did!

Dec 16, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #495 of 761
Hey guys ! I didn't read the whole thread but is it still available for people in Canada ? I would be interested to buy these but would definitely love to try them before. No local store as them so that I could hear it. 

Thanks !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back