OPPO PM-1 / PM-2 Loaner Program
Mar 31, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #244 of 761
I'd love to be added to the Canadian tour of the PM-1. I agree to all terms.

Mar 31, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #245 of 761
I received the PM-2s today in fine order.

Oregonian you're next, in about a week. 
L3000.gif

Apr 1, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #246 of 761
I've finally gotten around to writing up my time with the PM-2s. I'm a semi-professional cellist, listen primarily to classical music. I've always been able to pinpoint sound characteristics for instruments very easily, but headphones seem to be a pretty different beast, so please forgive any generalizations/unclear descriptions.

Build and presentation:

Build quality is second only to the PM-1 (I had the chance to try the PM-1 at a recent meet). Without having the 1 and 2 side by side I doubt most people would notice any differences though, the PM-2 is just built so meticulously. The build quality makes my Beyer T1s feel like pretty cheap headphones. 

I really like the denim carrying case, the ease of changing pads, and that the cables are very easily removable. 

The short cable really holds on to its coiled shape. I generally liked the main cable. It felt very study and well built, and didn't tangle easily. However, it was surprisingly microphonic because of the fabric. Not a deal breaker by any means, but a bit annoying. It was also a bit stiff and hard to deal with.

Comfort:
Fantastic for me. I was able to ignore the fact that I had headphones on quite easily. Clamping force was perfect. I have pretty small ears, so these were firmly in the circumaural category for me, and obviously that very positively influence my feelings for the overall comfort.

I preferred the velour pads. They were the coolest to me and I could not hear very significant sound differences between the pads. The leather and pleather pads are extremely high quality however, I'm impressed.

Sound:

I listened straight out of my computer (MacBook Pro, Apple lossless files) at first and was very impressed by how detailed and rich the sound was. I was interested to give these a try with an amp and see what differences, if any, I could hear. Here's some brief impressions from listening with a few different setups.

Macbook Pro -> Little Dot I+
Not much of a difference compared to straight from the computer. The LD is a fantastic amp and it did seem to open the soundstage and add just a touch of tube sound. I only had to set the volume to about 7% to drive it very comfortably.

Macbook Pro -> Modi -> LD I+
This was interesting. All of the headphones I've used before have responded more to changes in amps than changes in dacs. The PM-2s, however, were suddenly hugely better after adding the Modi into the chain. Much more detail, better imaging. Soundstage was adequate. Closing my eyes, I felt like the soundstage encompassed about 50 degrees horizontally.

Macbook Pro -> Valhalla 2
I know an OTL amp is far from ideal with orthos, but I was shocked by how well the V2 handled the PM-2. Definitely better than with the LD I+, but not by a huge margin. The difference between the V2 and LD is much more evident with my T1s. The PM-2 had a very nice tubey sound, but still maintained a good amount of detail. Mids and bass were pretty incredible with plenty of punch. I've never heard the first movement of Stravinsky's Firebird Suite sound so good! The V2 also seemed to add some clarity to more subtle treble details that I had struggled to hear before. I feel like the improved imaging over the LD helped to a lot in this regard. Compared to the T1, this imaging does feel just a little bit unnatural, which is what I think made these details stand out more. It was ok after I adjusted to it, but I still prefer the imaging of the T1.

Macbook Pro -> Uberfrost -> Valhalla 2
This is where things got really good. Similar to adding the Modi, there was a much bigger difference moving from the Modi to Uberfrost than the LD to V2.

The soundstage opened up some more, maybe to about 90 degrees. (I'm relying on my memory here, so take these estimates with a grain of salt). Detail retrieval and resolution were pretty fantastic. Treble, which is definitely a bit recessed on these phones, was more present and clear. Imaging felt a bit more natural. This is the setup I spent the most time with.

TL;DR
-I really appreciate these headphones for the thoughtful and meticulous build quality, as well as their technical capabilities.
-They seemed to scale better with dacs than amps
-Sometimes they sounded truly incredible and involving. Most of the time however, I found myself listening more to the headphones with my music instead of listening to the music with my headphones, which is not my goal in this hobby.
-I really want to have headphones built like this. I think Oppo has the ability to build my idea of a perfect headphone and will hopefully get there soon, but for now the sound signature of the PM-2 is ultimately not for me.

3.5/5

If the price was about $500, I'd raise the rating to 4/5.

Apr 1, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #247 of 761
  snip 

-They seemed to scale better with dacs than amps

snip

This is a good point and one that's been mentioned before.  These things are so easy to drive that you really only need minimal amping for them to sound their best.  But they're resolving enough that they scale well with a good DAC.  That makes them perfect for use with something like the Pono or Chord Hugo.  Actually, I bet these sound stellar with the Hugo...

Apr 1, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #248 of 761

This is a good point and one that's been mentioned before.  These things are so easy to drive that you really only need minimal amping for them to sound their best.  But they're resolving enough that they scale well with a good DAC.  That makes them perfect for use with something like the Pono or Chord Hugo.  Actually, I bet these sound stellar with the Hugo...

I bet the CH would be pretty fantastic. If only I could afford it...

Apr 3, 2015 at 6:25 AM Post #250 of 761
very interested in PM1 and PM3

Apr 4, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #252 of 761
Please put me down for a PM2 as well! (i'm in the US/ Northern California). I agree with terms and conditions as well!

Apr 4, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #253 of 761
Will be sending them to the next in line on Monday...It was a real pleasure that Oppo put together this, and make it happen, really a nice gesture, and one of the best headphones I have had my hands on, construction wise, they are built like a tank and extremely comfortable, detachable cable is a very good idea, and the cable is very well built as well...!!!!
I will not do a lengthily review, as honestly they didn't make it for me sound wise, and I hate to be a detractor on a very good attempt...and on top I'm not very good on reviews either...

My short impressions, a very well built headphone, the best probably I have ever seen, but sound wise left much to be desired for a planar drive IMHPO. I was expecting something a lot faster than my Editions, and that never happen...it may be good for many head-fiers that prefer a more darker, laid back sounding headphones, but not for the R-10, Editions, CD3K, or electrostatic lovers...whomever is looking for a forward presentation, and sparkling highs and deep bass, the Oppo will not be the answer...

Having said that, I'm still looking to replace my Editions...And hi-end headphones are not easy to audition in stores, so...keep on looking...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back