Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
Apr 23, 2016 at 12:56 AM Post #3,376 of 3,729
Mojo highlights the details especially the highs - you won't miss them. My secondary listening rig is Mojo>Lyr 2>PM-2. If PM-1 sounds like PM-2 as may say, then this is a good combo. I haven't heard PM-2 this good.

Thanks for the feedback. Currently, I'm using the CEntrance Skyn and I'm really enjoying the sound. 

So will go and do a proper A-B test with the Mojo to see if it's worth the premium price that they're charging for the Mojo at this part of the world!

Apr 23, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #3,377 of 3,729
I just received AKG K712, which most people don't find fatiguing, but something in the mids or highs does cause fatigue to me. :frowning2:

The Sennheiser HD650's for example does not fatigue me at all (also not on louder volumes).

Can the Oppo PM-1 be considered more detailed as the HD650 while being just as non-fatiguing?

I consider the PM-1 more detailed than the HD650, I have both.Worth $500+ extra to get that detail? Not sure

Apr 28, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #3,379 of 3,729
Just thought I'd drop by with some impressions on the PM-1, from the loaner program:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/oppo-pm-1/reviews/15857

TL;DR: I really liked these headphones, though I think they may be just a little bit expensive for the level of sound quality on offer. I'd probably go with the PM-2 if I wanted to buy a pair, which I might do in the future.

Apr 29, 2016 at 7:41 AM Post #3,380 of 3,729
  Just thought I'd drop by with some impressions on the PM-1, from the loaner program:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/oppo-pm-1/reviews/15857

TL;DR: I really liked these headphones, though I think they may be just a little bit expensive for the level of sound quality on offer. I'd probably go with the PM-2 if I wanted to buy a pair, which I might do in the future.

Great review! I really enjoy the Oppo PM-1 and PM-2 (not so the PM-3 :))

Apr 29, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #3,381 of 3,729

Great review! I really enjoy the Oppo PM-1 and PM-2 (not so the PM-3 :))

i have the oppo pm1 can tell me what u find different in oppo pm3 although i heard it beofre but totally forgot how it sounded as it was a rush audition, i wanted to get the oppo pm3 for the outdoors

Apr 30, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #3,382 of 3,729
  i have the oppo pm1 can tell me what u find different in oppo pm3 although i heard it beofre but totally forgot how it sounded as it was a rush audition, i wanted to get the oppo pm3 for the outdoors

In my opinion, the PM-3 sound is very clean, but it has virtually no bass compared to the PM1 and PM2. That was a deal breaker for me as I really do enjoy good bass performance. The PM1 and PM2 produces fabulous bass, though not as amazing as say the LCD-3's.

For outdoors, I use the Beyerdynamic T51i which is incredible for the price. 

Jun 6, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #3,383 of 3,729
  ok thnx!

Could you maybe share your findings about further similarities/differences between the two?

And, do you consider them equally (non-)fatiguing?

I would also like to know this, because I want to upgrade my HD650s, as amazing as they are. I just want a touch more detail and bass extension. I would go with the Audeze LCD-2, but people have said they are very similar to the PM-1 and PM-2, and the PM-2 is $300 less. 

Jul 1, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #3,385 of 3,729
A couple of weeks now with the PM-1s, and I have to say that I'm really enjoying them. I've just picked up the third (alternative?) set of pads and for me there really is no contest as to which of the three sounds best: the velour pads.

Being used to Fostex TH900s, I'll confess that I found the sound rather subdued initially. Now, whether it's burn in, acclimatisation, velour pads etc, who knows but I certainly have no regrets whatsoever in purchasing these headphones. They are oh-so-smooth and very balanced. Voices sound incredibly real. Bass is all there and provides a satisfying body to music without ever sounding strained or overblown. The mids are very smooth and lifelike. I was worried at first that all I'd read about the rolled-off top-end would be a showstopper for me but I find now with the velour pads that it's really sweet, all there and totally lacking in sibilance.

Overall then, a very balanced and natural sound, full of emotion, involvement, dynamics and detail, and super comfy to boot! I also really like the denim carry case. That's really practical for my uses.

Really happy with these 'phones and may now have to consider parting with the TH900s (have to think about that one). Unlike others I actually find the shorter cable is the perfect length; I can wander round the house with my AK120 tucked into my pocket without excess cable to get caught in drawers, on door handles etc. Then the OCC cable with the Hugo when more stationary. Interestingly I find the sound signature to be very similar to the UM Miracle. This is no bad thing for me, because I've always enjoyed these earphones(and still do).

Sat at my desk now listening and enjoying (this job's not so bad after all :wink:. Thanks, OPPO, this may well be my ideal headphone!

Do you find that the velour's soundstage is terribly small compared to the alternative leather?

Jul 6, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #3,386 of 3,729
Alternative pads have more airy feeling thus making soundstage feel bigger, but at the same time the mids seems sucked out abit, make overall sound a bit more v shapre compare to original leather pads.

Personally, I like PM-1 for their midcentric nature, lifelike and sweet vocal, so I don't like alternative pads sound at al, but I understand if other people will like it.

Aug 14, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #3,388 of 3,729
Anyone looking for an adapter to use the boompro mic with their Oppos? I am selling mine that I bought from PETEREK a little while back.

It also works with more traditional single ended 3.5mm cables. Thought I'd let Oppo owners in here know since the cable section in the classifieds often gets overlooked. PM me if interested

Aug 15, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #3,389 of 3,729
Hi everyone. I'M really indecisive between PM-1 and Ether C. Would anyone be so kind to
give a comparison? is the soundstage of PM-1 REALLY that lacking? please if anyone have
heard or owns both give me some insight. Thanks

Aug 27, 2016 at 2:43 AM Post #3,390 of 3,729
  Hi everyone. I'M really indecisive between PM-1 and Ether C. Would anyone be so kind to
give a comparison? is the soundstage of PM-1 REALLY that lacking? please if anyone have
heard or owns both give me some insight. Thanks

If you really like open back headphone perhaps going to Ether C route would be not the best option, personally I feel they have too much echo in sound. OTOH the open back Ether is much better for me. Haven't tried the Flow version, but I think they worth to try before making any decision.

PM-1 has more to intimate character, they sound accurate in imaging, great separation, still have airy feeling between instrument, but definitely not in very large size like HD800 do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back