Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
Apr 3, 2014 at 9:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3,729

HiFiGuy528

Member of the Trade: Woo Audio
Now that the PM-1 is out.  Let's start our listening impressions and appreciation comments here.  The original thread is crazy long and may be hard for new to Head-Fi members to learn about how this headphone sounds.

I will have my unit today so check back here for my unboxing/first look video.  

**** Update ****

Unboxed!

Apr 3, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #2 of 3,729
Are orders available already, or is yours a prototype unit?

Apr 3, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #3 of 3,729
Just off, tomorrow, to sample Audez'e LCD-2s + LCD Xs.
Going to compare to Wharfedale Isodynamics! You wait 40+ years and then (several!) come along.
The Oppo attracts because it looks lighter. Wood is lovely but a bit weighty? (Having sold my A-T Wth-1000s 2 years back!)
If the sound matches the LCD-2s.....though it had better be better than the Wharfies!
Will Oppo last 40years though? (I'll never know, unless they have hi-fi in the afterworld - I know doesn't exist)

Apr 3, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #5 of 3,729
Aight 
popcorn.gif

Apr 3, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #7 of 3,729
Referring back to a comment about the choice between Plastic and metal for the cases. 
And the weight.
Looked at my Wharfies. Nice -pretty soft - plastic case. Lasted for over 40 years .
And sounds fine (just stretched my input wires to be able to use my Pass F3 and, yes, it sounds great. Was fine with my Hafler DH200, but even better with the Pass. Someone mentioned that a 'speaker amp' could sound better than a dedicated Head-amp. I agree)
Isos Weigh 14 ounces which is about the same as the Oppo.

Apr 3, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #9 of 3,729
Hifiguy do you have any Audeze or Hifiman headphones on hand to do direct comparisons with the PM1? Because that's sort of the main thing people here wonder.

We all know the build quality is gonna be great, it's just that we need to know the sound characteristics relative to the cans from the two main planar magnetic giants.

Apr 3, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #10 of 3,729
^^ exactly

Apr 3, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #11 of 3,729
  Hifiguy do you have any Audeze or Hifiman headphones on hand to do direct comparisons with the PM1? Because that's sort of the main thing people here wonder.

We all know the build quality is gonna be great, it's just that we need to know the sound characteristics relative to the cans from the two main planar magnetic giants.

Don't forget the HD800's.    

Apr 3, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #13 of 3,729

Don't forget the HD800's.    

Everything can be and is compared to the HD800, no doubt. But this is a special case where a new planar magnetic headphone is manufacturered and released; it'd be dumb not to compare to to Hifiman and Audeze as the biggest priority.

It's like if a new 200m sprinter enters the Olympic scene, he should be matched up against other 200m sprinters first, before he goes into 100m and 500m sprints.

Apr 3, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #14 of 3,729
  Everything can be and is compared to the HD800, no doubt. But this is a special case where a new planar magnetic headphone is manufacturered and released; it'd be dumb not to compare to to Hifiman and Audeze as the biggest priority.

It's like if a new 200m sprinter enters the Olympic scene, he should be matched up against other 200m sprinters first, before he goes into 100m and 500m sprints.

Speaking of which, anything worth mentioning about the 560? Any changes or something you'd like to point out or highlight? 
biggrin.gif

Apr 3, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #15 of 3,729
  Speaking of which, anything worth mentioning about the 560? Any changes or something you'd like to point out or highlight? 
biggrin.gif

You'd think that with the 150 posts I've made (including a mega-post, that being the first post of the 560 general) since last Thursday when I got the HE560, that enough information about it has been churned out, but no, you fanboys are never content.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back