Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
Oct 14, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #182 of 2,563
  I like Oppo have models of middle aged men to showcase their first headphones. Very sexy. Nice touch.

LOL. If you're talking about the two models on the homepage carousel area, I took those photos (not Oppo). Those are both Head-Fi'ers, and they were good sports. While one may qualify as middle-aged, the other one has a long way to go before he's middle-aged.

Oct 14, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #183 of 2,563

LOL. If you're talking about the two models on the homepage carousel area, I took those photos (not Oppo). Those are both Head-Fi'ers, and they were good sports. While one may qualify as middle-aged, the other one has a long way to go before he's middle-aged.

LOL
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 15, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #184 of 2,563
Oppo's Bluray players are world class and you pay for it too
Their mobile phones arent cheap either

Oppo seems to aim their products at those who want the best out of their personal electronics and they demand a pretty penny for it,so I dont expect these cans will be aimed at the average Joe price wise....I could be wrong(and hope I am) but dont hold your breath on a price too far below a grand

Oct 15, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #186 of 2,563
Quote:
What's the attraction with planar magnetics over dynamic drivers? Serious question. Seems the bass is lacking from what I have read for comparable pricing.

For me personally, the attraction is the "flat" bass. I'm a little tired of the typical dynamic "mid-bass" bloat - I'm attracted to the idea that Planar drivers can provide flat, even bass over both the sub-bass and mid-bass spectrum.

Quote:
Here's the thing - I had the Mad Dogs and was seriously underwhelmed by the bass, hence my question. Wasn't really impressed by them in any way. Maybe I just prefer the fun sounding phones as they say.

I'm pretty sure the Fostex T50rp has smaller drivers than the HifiMan or Audeze offerings (Can someone please confirm this?) - I believe this is part of the reason why they don't have the same bass quantity as the Audeze or HiFiMan offerings. 

Oct 15, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #188 of 2,563

Yes, Fostex T50RP (Mad Dog) does have smaller drivers than Audeze/HifiMan...  

Bass quantity, to me they are no slouch vs. he400 and he500.  I demo'd both he-xxx's I did find that bass on the Mad Dogs bass is slightly more forward vs the two.  Yet, MD to me have more accurate bass at lease to my ears. 

I haven't tried the Audeze yet but would love to...  Anyone wanna trade cans for a week?  Local only...  
biggrin.gif

"But then again, depends on what you pair these cans with too."

NOTE:  Test was done with Mad Dog 3.2 NOT stock Fostex T50RP.

Oct 15, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #190 of 2,563
I am very interested on how these new Oppo planar cans will go against it's rivals....  
evil_smiley.gif

Can an Oppo sales rep please chime in???  Hello...  Earth to Oppo...

popcorn.gif

Oct 15, 2013 at 3:53 AM Post #191 of 2,563
still prototypes far as i know

Oct 15, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #192 of 2,563
I will e-mail my contact at OPPO UK today with a link to this thread so that he can see all the interest and hopefully he will have a good idea regarding release dates and prices.

Oct 15, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #194 of 2,563
  I think somewhere between $350-500 is possible, if they are marketing toward portable use.

$500-750 if they are aiming toward hi-fi home use applications.

Yeah, a good point about portable use. Their design is kind of compact and their cups are rotating so that you can save space in a backpack or something. So the price range $350-500 seems pretty reasonable to me for portable cans. 

Oct 15, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #195 of 2,563

I think somewhere between $350-500 is possible, if they are marketing toward portable use.

$500-750 if they are aiming toward hi-fi home use applications.

Yeah, a good point about portable use. Their design is kind of compact and their cups are rotating so that you can save space in a backpack or something. So the price range $350-500 seems pretty reasonable to me for portable cans. 

Hmm, I dont know if Id wear these in public or portability in mind, I dont know--the looks just strike me that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back