Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
Mar 6, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #1,172 of 2,563
The "release date" makes me think of the old jazz standard " It's Too Late To Be Early."  I once fell in love with a prototype speaker, the Snell B type, based on its years of press and anticipation. When my local shop finally got a production pair after all the hoopla turned out to be outstanding in almost every way. I was able to arrange a free in-home audition and I ordered my own pair almost immediately. I still love them to this day. I admit to being very curious about the OPPO phones, I think my LCD2s can tide me over for a long time yet.

Mar 7, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #1,173 of 2,563
They say 7layers in the diaphragm...
So the diaphram does not sound so thin in total, lol

I reckon that Oppo® is using a variation of RW/RP in the PM-1, with ultra-light-gauge gold wire spirals sandwiched in highly-flexible plastic (cannot guess between DuPont® Mylar® and Monsanto® Dynaflex® here, as either, both, or some new plastic might be in play).  Two opposing spiral conductors would be joined at the hub for such a diaphragm to both conduct and interact with the field between the arrays of neodymium-alloy magnets.  With seven layers, there could be a total of four spirals, as two pairs.

Mar 8, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #1,176 of 2,563
I would say this and the he560 are to look at... Maybe the new Fostex as well but not believing in it lol

Mar 10, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #1,178 of 2,563

Lcd X?

That's almost twice as expensive and heavy as the 560... Depending on the PM price, it might compete directly.
The 560 will probably a very good value as is... Hopefully :D

Mar 10, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #1,179 of 2,563
The 560 will be. As long as they keep the air of the 6 with out any annoying spikes it will be a great headphone.

Mar 12, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #1,180 of 2,563
Been thinking that there OPPO is going to have to do a hat trick to compete with the current line of planar offerings. One thing it will need to do for sure is be as detailed as the lcd3. The he6 is detailed but the lcd-3 just pops. Detail at you. However. The lcd3 doesn't have the air of the 6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back