OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Jul 22, 2017 at 2:22 AM Post #4,486 of 4,883
My Sony A25 isn't connecting with HA-2 as USB DAC using the Oppo-approved custom cable. Looks like a defective piece.
Any HeadFi member who can do a custom interconnect below $40?

Why dont you use the Sony WMC-NWH10 cable

Attachments

• kb0108-001.png
    kb0108-001.png
    881.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 23, 2017 at 3:24 AM Post #4,487 of 4,883
So far no dropouts since updating!
On the thread at the Apple website, several people (including at least one Oppo user) have found that while 10.3.3 does indeed eliminate dropouts, there are still "glitches" in the music. I take "glitches" to mean momentary breaks in playback from which the iDevice recovers. Have you experienced that? I'm still on 10.2 and can continue refusing to update if the problem has not been completely resolved.

Jul 23, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #4,488 of 4,883
Ya staying on 10.2.1 myself. It's a guess if someone will have 100% glitch free use of not.

Aug 4, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #4,490 of 4,883
How has it been in the past 2 weeks? I'm very excited for this if true; I basically stopped using the HA2SE because of the dropouts.
Unfortunately I had to downgrade back to 10.3.2 due to AirPlay connectivity issues with iOS 11 (and other OS changes I hated). But over the week or so I used it, I never experienced a dropout.

Aug 4, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #4,491 of 4,883
The
On the thread at the Apple website, several people (including at least one Oppo user) have found that while 10.3.3 does indeed eliminate dropouts, there are still "glitches" in the music. I take "glitches" to mean momentary breaks in playback from which the iDevice recovers. Have you experienced that? I'm still on 10.2 and can continue refusing to update if the problem has not been completely resolved.
The "glitches" sound like what I was experiencing with iOS 11. I didn't get dropouts, but would occasionally get mico-stutters around the points where I'd usually get dropouts. I'm assuming that 10.3.3. and 11 both handle connectivity the same, but I'll have to test 10.3.3 now that I've jumped to the official update.

Aug 15, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #4,493 of 4,883
FYI, updated to latest 10.3.3 and everything has worked fine. No drops!

If any one is interested in a very lightly used HA-2 let me know, I will be letting mine go soon.

Updated my iPhone 7+ with the 10.3.3, the issues still happens with the small cable provided by OPPO, but it's all good with my Apple cable. Another annoying issue that is definitely an iOS issues is sometimes you press Pause on the apple music player and it stop recognizing the lightning connection, so you need to remove the cable and connect again so it can recognize. that happens even with Apple Car Play.
Anyone having this problem and know a way to resolve it?

Aug 21, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #4,494 of 4,883
It confirms that the fault is in Apple's USB driver introduced in iOS 10. Shielding is not the issue. Your analysis did not turn out to be correct. That's OK--I'm not pointing fingers at you and I know you attempted to isolate the issue, although in the end, the professional engineers at Oppo figured it out. Too bad Apple broke compatibility. Thankfully, the issue affects a minority of all users of iOS 10 and the HA-2. I have not experienced any problems, for example. However, I know that is not comforting to those users who have.
I have bought the HA-2 back in august 2015 and had exactly the same issues back then, together with the iPhone 6, than I do suffer now with the iPhone 7 and the HA-2 SE. So it can't be just a iOS 10 issue like you stated here. Back then I had the same dropouts as described oa by dennistdk.
However, the problems became worse with the use of the iPhone 7, the music not only stopped on a regularly basis, but also gave funny noises when packed together with a short cable.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #4,496 of 4,883
So I've been testing my HA-2SE with my iPhone 6s using 10.3.3 and the short cable supplied by Oppo with the DAC and haven't had any issues over several hours play sessions so I would say the issue with iOS 10 is solved.

I have not tried it in the conditions (low cellular signal levels) others have reported dropouts before the iOS 10 update happened.

Aug 23, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #4,497 of 4,883
Here the same! No big issues anymore.

Because I had also a lot of interruptions with the OPPO HA-2 with iOS9 I thought it was related to the OPPO. Back then I had a lot of issues with the cables and USB port of the device.
Luckily enough it seems to be solved now.

Sep 2, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #4,498 of 4,883
i'm not sure why you all say ios 10.3.3 has solved the stability issues with HA-2SE. for me, they are definitely still there, although they may have changed somewhat. mostly, i hear frequent clicks/gaps, but sometimes the click is followed by a long enough gap that the music pauses and i have to turn off the ha-2se then turn it back on before resuming. airplane mode is much better, but i still have some click/gaps. i suspect those might be attributed to some apps retaining location services -- even though i turned it off.

i'm using the short cable supplied by oppo and have the phone stacked. all the music i have been listening to has been hi-res flac using HF Player.

UPDATE: It seems like my cable is now damaged -- the lightning connector is bent and my phone does not seee the oppo anymore. i'm not sure is the initial stages of this had already manifested previously and were the real cause of the clicks and pauses. i'll test next week with a longer cable during a long flight.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #4,499 of 4,883
Minor update:

went back and forth with Oppo a bit. They sent me a new lightning cable - longer and thinner than the original.
I think the dropouts have stopped, but it's still not perfect. I find that if no music is playing, it will just continue to disconnect and reconnect, but apparently not while playing.
Sheesh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back