OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Apr 5, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #3,256 of 4,883
FWIW. Ihave heard the Mojo twice and could discern no difference in sound from the HO of my iPhone 6S.
It is probably just me as it so many people rate it so highly.
It does bear out what a lot of people on here say. That differences between electronics are small.
Headphones make the biggest change.
Depends how far down the rabbit hole you want to go!
I have not heard the HA-2. I have an Onkyo DAC /amp, which I like but it is a brick to carry around.
If you can easily afford it maybe try it.
Especially if you can order from a dealer that accepts returns.
The lack of Apple compatibility put me off.
The CCK connector that you will need is a clumsy work around IMHO.
You will end up with a clunky stack.
Personally I would try and crack on and enjoy your music!
Difficult I know!
Finding new music is always good. Do you use a streaming service? Tidal is great!
It may help to remember that what you have is already way ahead of what most people listen to.
Maybe get along to a meet if there is one near you. Great fun and you will hear what is possible.
I have been to a few and have yet to hear anything that blew my wallet open!

One last thing that is a bit of a hobby horse of mine.
Beware of placebo and expectation bias. :wink:

Apr 5, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #3,257 of 4,883
FWIW. Ihave heard the Mojo twice and could discern no difference in sound from the HO of my iPhone 6S.
It is probably just me as it so many people rate it so highly.
It does bear out what a lot of people on here say. That differences between electronics are small.
Headphones make the biggest change.
Depends how far down the rabbit hole you want to go!
I have not heard the HA-2. I have an Onkyo DAC /amp, which I like but it is a brick to carry around.
If you can easily afford it maybe try it.
Especially if you can order from a dealer that accepts returns.
The lack of Apple compatibility put me off.
The CCK connector that you will need is a clumsy work around IMHO.
You will end up with a clunky stack.
Personally I would try and crack on and enjoy your music!
Difficult I know!
Finding new music is always good. Do you use a streaming service? Tidal is great!
It may help to remember that what you have is already way ahead of what most people listen to.
Maybe get along to a meet if there is one near you. Great fun and you will hear what is possible.
I have been to a few and have yet to hear anything that blew my wallet open!

One last thing that is a bit of a hobby horse of mine.
Beware of placebo and expectation bias.
wink.gif

I totally hear you! This hobby is crazy in that it can be as difficult, or as easy, as you want it to be. One day I'll catch myself lusting after higher priced headphones/DACs/amps/even exploring standalone DAPs. Then the next day I'll catch myself going the other direction, wondering things like "can I REALLY hear a marked improvement with my HA-2 over my iPhone 5s" and instead wonder if I should return it and put my $300 towards something. But usually where I land is something like: "What you have is great. Be happy where you are, and stop letting yourself read so many damn reviews and message board posts."
smile.gif

Apr 5, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #3,258 of 4,883
  I totally hear you! This hobby is crazy in that it can be as difficult, or as easy, as you want it to be. One day I'll catch myself lusting after higher priced headphones/DACs/amps/even exploring standalone DAPs. Then the next day I'll catch myself going the other direction, wondering things like "can I REALLY hear a marked improvement with my HA-2 over my iPhone 5s" and instead wonder if I should return it and put my $300 towards something. But usually where I land is something like: "What you have is great. Be happy where you are, and stop letting yourself read so many damn reviews and message board posts."
smile.gif

You hit it on the head. I have had A LOT of gear over the years and now I have finally found what I'm after. I want 1 rig for out in about 1 for the gym and 1 for when Im home. After this has been completed I hope/think I will be happy. Im just waiting for the release of the iBasso DX200 and maybe 1 more set of CIEMS and done!

Apr 5, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #3,259 of 4,883
You hit it on the head. I have had A LOT of gear over the years and now I have finally found what I'm after. I want 1 rig for out in about 1 for the gym and 1 for when Im home. After this has been completed I hope/think I will be happy. Im just waiting for the release of the iBasso DX200 and maybe 1 more set of CIEMS and done!

Yeah. I'm just waiting for the AR M20 and thinking about some ADEL CIEM's. Then I'm done too! Oh and a nice amp for home... :wink:

Apr 5, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #3,262 of 4,883
Anyone here with an HA-2 and an S7?

I called Oppo to discuss the pops and stuttering Google Play Music and YouTube exhibit occasionally.. but they said they haven't had anyone call in or report it. They also assured me the S6 on Lollipop did not have this issue.

I have tried USB Audio Player Pro and it doesn't seem to have the same problem at all so their unique USB driver must work better than Google's in Marshmallow. Why Google would change something for the worse is beyond me. Cannot play downloaded Google Play music in UAPP so I guess we have to wait for an update.

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Apr 5, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #3,263 of 4,883
Update --- I now officially love my HA-2 after finally allowing myself to tinker some. If this were a novel, I'd title it "The Night My HA-2 Came Alive"...

Anyway, I was out on my usual evening walk with the dogs. I did my usual "bass boost on a few songs, off on a few songs" and as always wasn't completely happy with either option. On some songs I'd find the bass boost to be perfect. On others, it felt too muddy and hijacked the mids and treble.

Then, I had a completely random thought. I recalled the time I learned how AC/DC achieved their incredible guitar tone --- by volume, rather than distortion. Can't remember how or where I learned it, but just something along the lines of by cranking their volume to max on their amps on the clean channel...then getting proper mic levels...accounted for the sweet/tight/crunch sound. As opposed to cranking a distortion channel, which many people mistakenly do.

I realized it wasn't apples to apples, but it made decide to actually experiment with my gain switch on the HA-2. I'd always kept it on low because of how many times I'd read that my PM-3s were such incredibly efficient cans (I just assumed they'd work on low). So when I thought of the AC/DC approach...and realized how I am actually a pretty low-level listener (I usually keep the pot at 3 or less)...I wondered if that "approach" would work best. So I switched to high-gain...dialed the pot down a smidgeon to get the same level output into my ears...then ran through the same tracks.

HOLY CRAP!!!

It honestly sounded like a night and day different amp. Everything was suddenly so full...so clean...nicely separated...awesome low-end...snappy...and so forth. It was great -- I probably broke out in a smile at least half a dozen times.

I may be an idiot for not thinking of this sooner, but I'm glad I did! I officially now see no reason to lust after the Mojo or anything else --- this is perfect for my needs.

Apr 6, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #3,265 of 4,883
I'm new to the forums and am uncertain about responses to posts indicating a possible interest in selling, but thought I should at least check as I am interested in purchasing the Oppo HA-2 and would be glad to pursue that through the sale/trade forums if that is appropriate path.  I see that howdy is experienced user and am hopeful you can advise about how best to proceed. 
  Hello all,

I have an Oppo Ha-2 for sale.
I bought it new in June 2015 from Custom Cable (London).
It was love at first sight.
But, i like to listen to music essencialy when i workout, so use an amplifier in those circunstances is not a very clever option. 
So, i barely used it and it's like new.
No signs of use.
In the original box with all original accesories.
I can send pictures of it.
If you are interested, please PM me.

By the way, listening music with one of these really improves the experience.
It's a wonderful piece of gear.

I you think you might buy one Im thinking I might sell mine.

Apr 6, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #3,266 of 4,883
  I'm new to the forums and am uncertain about responses to posts indicating a possible interest in selling, but thought I should at least check as I am interested in purchasing the Oppo HA-2 and would be glad to pursue that through the sale/trade forums if that is appropriate path.  I see that howdy is experienced user and am hopeful you can advise about how best to proceed. 

I bought a Sony A17 and a custom cable to connect it to the Oppo Ha-2. The size of that combo and specially the sound of it, made me regret in selling the Ha-2.
So, for now, my Oppo is not anymore for sale.

Cheers

Apr 6, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #3,267 of 4,883
  I have a Oppo HA-2 and wanted help setting it up with my macbook pro to get the best possible sound.

I mainly listen through Tidal streaming flac, which I think is 16/44.1 khz.
I'm wondering what format/sampling rate to choose in the "Audio Midi Setup" in the macbook settings? Should I also set it to 16bit, 44.1kHz to get the most accurate sampling conversion.

Or would I benefit from selecting the 32 bit setting with a higher sampling, say 96khz?

Also should both the Tidal music player volume and the macbook system volume be set to the maximum and then control the volume from the dac volume knob?

Thanks 

If anyone was wondering, this is what Oppo told me:

"We would recommend using 32-bit/192kHz and letting the operating system upsample the audio in this case. This should result in the best audio from streaming services and built in application."

Apr 6, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #3,268 of 4,883
  If anyone was wondering, this is what Oppo told me:

"We would recommend using 32-bit/192kHz and letting the operating system upsample the audio in this case. This should result in the best audio from streaming services and built in application."

Thanks for sharing -- great to hear they're responsive. I may write them and ask them to tell me exactly which settings/selections to use for the Onkyo HF Player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back