Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Jul 13, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #5,191 of 5,414
No experience with the Questyle but I have owned a HA-1 almost from when it was first released. I use it with mainly with HD700 and Oppo PM-1 (tried the HD800s but the higher frequencies did not work for me, it was the headphone because I also have a Benchmark DAC3 HGC and got the same results) with I feel are great results. The HA-1 is built like a tank and is a bargain at the retail price. With any of my headphones (Senns, Beyerdynamic, B&Ws, Oppos) I find no big difference between the HA-1 and the Benchmark.

Jul 14, 2018 at 11:57 PM Post #5,193 of 5,414
I would say the HA-1 is much better suited to the LCD-3 than the HD 800 or HD 800S. The Senn HD 800 and HD 800S are about the only headphones that aren't a good match with it, but they are finicky with a lot of amps.

I somewhat agree with this. Just "somewhat" because I don't think it's really the amp pairing per se. The HA-1 is a fantastically clear, powerful, and resolving HP amp for any set of cans. But for cans such as the Senns, I think it is more of a bad DAC pairing. If you try another high-quality DAC type paired with the HA-1's HP amp (perhaps a Burr-Brown, AKM, Chord FPGA, etc.), you will most likely find audio bliss with the Senns.

While not quite as feature-rich or as versatile as the HA-1, I actually preferred my 2015 Audio-gd NFB-28 in regards to SQ. And yes it was also an ESS Sabre DAC.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #5,194 of 5,414
FWIW....I love my HA-1...but do not use it's Delta Sigma DAC....I have the 800S and to sound it's best, it needs a real Amp not a portable....I am also bummed to read about Oppo's demise.

The Portable DAP will play the 800S but you will not hear all they can do. I really love all that the HA-1 can do....but it just makes better Music with an R2R type DAC instead of the DS DAC . I use a Schiit Yggdrasil for my HP and Speaker DAC.

Jul 23, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #5,196 of 5,414
Can anyone comment on what the Chord Hugo 1 is like paired with the HA1? How would i connect the Hugo to the HA1 and would i still be able to use the XLR balanced output for my headphones?
You can use the rca out from Hugo to the ha-1 and then use your xlr headphones from the ha-1. I had the Hugo 2 for a couple of weeks and found the Hugo 2 paired well with the ha-1

Jul 24, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #5,197 of 5,414
You can use the rca out from Hugo to the ha-1 and then use your xlr headphones from the ha-1. I had the Hugo 2 for a couple of weeks and found the Hugo 2 paired well with the ha-1
So i can use the headphones but i take it that it just won't be a balanced output/setup because of the rca cables? So there's not really any benefit to using an xlr over se cable in this case?

Jul 24, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #5,198 of 5,414
The benefit you will get is extra wattage out of the xlr4 headphone output into your headphones. Some people can hear a difference between the xlr4 output vs SE in the headphones. Certainly will be louder for the same volume setting on the HA-1. You just won't have a balanced input.

Jul 28, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #5,201 of 5,414
Seems like most people don't use the actual DAC in the HA-1...Once I get my setup sorted, I will try and use my Marantz SA 8005 DAC. Maybe people are on to something with this. ^^
FWIW, I use the DAC full time and also to feed my Stax rig. I had Schiit multibit bifrost and gungnir long term to compare and did not feel there was a significant difference. I also have the delta sigma gungnir. I probably do not have golden ears. I don’t hear the digital sheen that some hear from the Ha-1 Dac.

Jul 28, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #5,202 of 5,414
FWIW, I use the DAC full time and also to feed my Stax rig. ... I don’t hear the digital sheen that some hear from the Ha-1 Dac.
Ditto here. I use my HA-1 as a DAC, headphone amp, and preamp. I love its clean, neutral sound. As an audiophile for 30 years, I've used a lot of different equipment over the years, and I've heard worse than the HA-1 but I've not heard better.

Aug 1, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #5,205 of 5,414
FWIW, I use the DAC full time and also to feed my Stax rig. I had Schiit multibit bifrost and gungnir long term to compare and did not feel there was a significant difference. I also have the delta sigma gungnir. I probably do not have golden ears. I don’t hear the digital sheen that some hear from the Ha-1 Dac.

That's impressive. Which input(s) are you using for the HA-1 DAC?

Ditto here. I use my HA-1 as a DAC, headphone amp, and preamp. I love its clean, neutral sound. As an audiophile for 30 years, I've used a lot of different equipment over the years, and I've heard worse than the HA-1 but I've not heard better.

Again, this is nice to hear, but which inputs are you using?

Thanks guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back