Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Feb 17, 2015 at 6:13 AM Post #2,986 of 5,414
A view from Mr Nobody. Would I do a firmware upgrade, that did something to the graphics,and rectified a spelling mistake?. NO, although it would be nice to have a choice. If there was a change to the internals,giving better sound in someway,then certainly i would want it. There should be a choice at least,given to the customer,perhaps with a warning, that downloading firmware,may cause problems. i.e. picking it up,and throwing it out of the window!. YES. I have done this in the past!.

Feb 17, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #2,987 of 5,414
Just collected my Oppo HA-1 unit. Heading home to enjoy it soon~

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I think you are going to like what you hear!  I am liking this unit the more I listen to/through it.  I'm doing comparisons side by side with my tube amp, and it truly is a very neutral DAC/AMP, and exudes quality at every turn. I enjoy the contrasts between the two.  I catch myself sometimes cranking up JRiver without listening to the unit.......just to watch the spectrum display while I'm working ...it's mesmerizing-sometimes it's the little things  :)

Feb 17, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #2,989 of 5,414
lol.... There are a % of people that will think because the firmware says 1.3.3. instead of 1.3.2 it will sound better regardless what the manufacture says. Its new therefor I NEED to have it. I don't know what it does, why I want it, but I do know I NEED TO HAVE IT!

Anyway, there are a few nice to haves I'm looking forward to in a future release, but there are no need to haves with the HA1. 

Count me as one of the people that only wants a firmware update when there are some worthwhile updates based on the feedback from users. I don't see any need for a firmware changing minor things. A spelling error somewhere in the menu? lol. Really, who cares. 

Keep up the great work Oppo!

Feb 17, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #2,990 of 5,414
A spelling error somewhere in the menu? lol. Really, who cares. 

Keep up the great work Oppo!

My unit was shipped with 1.3.3.  heck, i kind of wish it had 1.3.2, so I could have the display spelling error...kind of like having a coin that was mis-stamped from the mint.  A conversation starter !

Feb 17, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #2,991 of 5,414
I'm considering adding a SS amp/dac combo to go with my Lyr/Bifrost setup.  Does anyone here have any experience with both the HA-1 and the Meier Corda Classic/Daccord?  They're both the same price.  Any impressions would be appreciated.

Feb 17, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #2,993 of 5,414
Sorry I am lazy.

Where is the spelling mistake?
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2015 at 12:54 AM Post #2,995 of 5,414
I'm considering adding a SS amp/dac combo to go with my Lyr/Bifrost setup.  Does anyone here have any experience with both the HA-1 and the Meier Corda Classic/Daccord?  They're both the same price.  Any impressions would be appreciated.

Which headphones will you be pairing them with, and are you going to run balanced on the HA-1?

Feb 18, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #2,996 of 5,414
I am currently using a few headphones.  Planars include the Alpha Dog and HE500.  Dynamics are the T1, HD600 and Phillips X2.  I currently do not use balanced connectors.  My main system does not have balanced outs.

Feb 18, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #2,997 of 5,414
I heard Alpha Prime with HA-1 at the recent NYC meet and liked what I heard but it was a quick listen just to try if it's can handle them and it does good job for the money but be aware that I used balanced out and think that if you want to get most from your headphones you should use balanced out.

Feb 18, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #2,998 of 5,414
I am currently using a few headphones.  Planars include the Alpha Dog and HE500.  Dynamics are the T1, HD600 and Phillips X2.  I currently do not use balanced connectors.  My main system does not have balanced outs.

You have a very nice stable of headphones indeed.

I can only speak from experiencing the HD600 and HE500. I spent about a week with the HA-1. The HD600s sounded great on single-ended on high gain. I did not feel like O was missing anything, but I did not have a balanced cable for the Sennsheiser. The HE500 sounded fantastic as well, but I was running it through a balanced Moon Audio cable. I have heard wonderful things about Meier gear as well but have not heard it yet, so I will refrain from offering a suggestion. These are just my impressions for the HA-1.

If you did get the HA-1, you might consider getting balanced for only a select few headphones it would noticeably benefit sometime in the future, with your planars highest on that list of priority. The others seem fine at single ended, though the T1 seems optimal for the Meier as well, or a high voltage tube amp.

Feb 18, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #2,999 of 5,414
Thanks for your input.  I too am a big fan of the HD600.  I've had mine since 1998, and I still consider it the standard I use to judge other cans.  I've slowly grown to also love my HE500s.  I was not sure at first, but I do love them now.  The sound signatures are very different, but both please my ears.  I started out with Schiit Magni/Modi, but found them too bright for my Dynamic headphones.  That's why I moved to the Lyr/Bifrost.  I would really like to find a great sounding SS amp/dac combo that doesn't bite me in the high end.  I'll have to think a while longer before making a final decision.

Feb 18, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #3,000 of 5,414
Based on my experience with different Dac/Amp combos I doubt you will find something cheaper than HA-1. But never heard Garage 1217 amps yet so can't comment if their SS amp can be a comparable to HA-1's even if you get a Arcane irDac instead Bifrost

Users who are viewing this thread

Back