Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Sep 14, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #1,711 of 5,414
Thought I would post some quick impressions from the meet yesterday. Demo'd Oppo was a hit. There was really nothing it didn't work with to a certain point. We all agreed though, it really wasn't the best pairing with the HD800 and it created a paradox for me... We plugged the LCD2.2 with Fazor and the sound was super bright... Yes, bright! So there's that.

Sep 14, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #1,712 of 5,414
Thought I would post some quick impressions from the meet yesterday. Demo'd Oppo was a hit. There was really nothing it didn't work with to a certain point. We all agreed though, it really wasn't the best pairing with the HD800 and it created a paradox for me... We plugged the LCD2.2 with Fazor and the sound was super bright... Yes, bright! So there's that.

Those impressions pretty much mimicked my own. The sabre dac can be a little edge and bright at times. The real magic of the HA-1, IMO, is the amp section. Put a better dac with it and it will shine. It sounds phenomenal with the NAD m51 and gungnir, even with the hd800.  

Sep 14, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #1,713 of 5,414
My take thus far (I do not have a large sample set of Sabre DACs) is that the Sabre implementation is not atypical of the genre ... that is, I don't think it's a sub-par Sabre DAC as much as ... it's a Sabre DAC? Don't know if other folks with more experience feel differently. The gain stage is solid. 

Sep 14, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #1,714 of 5,414
My take thus far (I do not have a large sample set of Sabre DACs) is that the Sabre implementation is not atypical of the genre ... that is, I don't think it's a sub-par Sabre DAC as much as ... it's a Sabre DAC? Don't know if other folks with more experience feel differently. The gain stage is solid. 
Those impressions pretty much mimicked my own. The sabre dac can be a little edge and bright at times. The real magic of the HA-1, IMO, is the amp section. Put a better dac with it and it will shine. It sounds phenomenal with the NAD m51 and gungnir, even with the hd800.  

I don't have enough experience with high end dacs to have a say, but I thought the dac in the Oppo was a HUGE upgrade over my old Bifrost and AQ Dragonfly (which was a huge upgrade over the Bifrost).

I agree with you about the amp... It really is impressive, especially with my HE-4. It satisfies my needs for a dac... Lets just hope it does keeps it that way for a few years :deadhorse:

Sep 14, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #1,715 of 5,414
  After a few month with my HA-1 I'am a very disappointed.
It's again the Volume control, wich seems to be the weak point on this amp.
The laggy remote control performance and the +/- jumping db-levels at the 12 o' clock position are an annoying fact
but a result of the "high-precision" analog volume control, I've been told here.

But now, I have (suprisingly at the same knob position) a crackling sound at knob rotation.
It disappears after moving the knob back an forth a few times but after some time it is back again,
sometimes it takes one or two days.
The crackling is hearable with and without music playing. Headphone (Audeze) is connected balanced.

I am totally excited.... I spend lots of money (Germany) for this device wich is designed for one key-feature:
Pure, clean sound -  and it crackles!

So what to do ? RMA? - waiting weeks and getting it back with "No faults found"?
I am
confused.gif
frown.gif

I have been using since release day. Never had a scratchy volume. Sure I get that over step of the volume control. However it doesn't bother me.

I use low gain. Balanced Output on Audeze LCD-3.

Sep 14, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #1,716 of 5,414
How about with the LCD-3s? Is it particularly synergistic with them? Or does the DAC still hold them back?

Sep 14, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #1,717 of 5,414
I have noticed in the upper range of the volume that it had a bit of scratchy when it passed was turned up to spot,
but once volume is set it does not interfere with the sound only noticed when moving the volume & over that spot.
If I ran over it a few time it would go away.
Since I don't move volume much I don't notice it but nevertheless it is a concern for the future.

Sep 14, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #1,718 of 5,414

But now, I have (suprisingly at the same knob position) a crackling sound at knob rotation.
It disappears after moving the knob back an forth a few times but after some time it is back again,
sometimes it takes one or two days.
The crackling is hearable with and without music playing. Headphone (Audeze) is connected balanced.

I am totally excited.... I spend lots of money (Germany) for this device wich is designed for one key-feature:
Pure, clean sound -  and it crackles!

So what to do ? RMA? - waiting weeks and getting it back with "No faults found"?
I am :confused: :frowning2:

I have noticed in the upper range of the volume that it had a bit of scratchy when it passed was turned up to spot,
but once volume is set it does not interfere with the sound only noticed when moving the volume & over that spot.
Since I don't move volume much I don't notice it but nevertheless it is a concern for the future.

These sound like a typical case of dust in the volume pot, especially if repeated turning makes it go away. I've never had to clean mine but think they can be cleaned? Anyone have any suggestions for procedure or products to clean the volume pot?

Sep 15, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #1,719 of 5,414
Has anyone paired these with the Beyer T1's? I just ordered a pair, and I'm looking to upgrade my GD compass. This has a lot of great features for sure, just not sure how it would pair. Other route would be tube amp and separate dac. With that being said I think the PM-1 will be next on my list to add so I'm keeping this in mind as well. Thanks for any feedback on the combo.

Sep 15, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #1,721 of 5,414

Huh?

Sep 15, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #1,723 of 5,414

Users who are viewing this thread

Back