Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Aug 29, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #1,576 of 5,414
  Has anyone else had issues with the info display?  I'm using the asio driver with no extra processing in jriver media center, and all mp3's are playing back in 44.1/32.  All redbook rips seem to playback accurately at 44.1/16 and most 96/24 files play back accurately, with the exception of two dvd audio rips which are listed at 96/24, but play back in 96/16.  I don't believe this was happening with my Schiit Bifrost, but then again, It didn't have an LCD display.

any Info?  Thanks.

I also see mp3s play back as 44.1/32, so it's not just you. I think this is correct, but not sure why. If you load an mp3 file into Adobe Audition it also shows it as 32-bit, btw.

Aug 29, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #1,577 of 5,414

Ermmmm.... The one that sounds the best to you?

I think both sound about the same, I am wondering especially from a jitter perspective if S/PDIF is better than USB with a computer that has "noisy" USB ports. My S/PDIF out is pretty low jitter in comparison, but I would like to know how the HA-1 handles USB, post USB receipt by the USB transceiver. Does it send it as S/PDIF or I2S or what to the Sabre?

Aug 29, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #1,578 of 5,414

I had a Arcam irDac before the HA-1. As soon as I installed the HA-1 and ran it using pre-amp my heart sunk. Thought it was a big mistake. All bass was gone (I run three subs so that was huge disapointment), Not much mid-bass and way to much treble. I even plugged the Arcam back in to compare. Arcam was way better.
I let it run in a week and it improved. Now I'm noticing a big change again (couple of months). Now it sounds better than the Arcam, Bass is now kicking. I touch the sub drivers and wow they are kicking. I would say dynamics have improved also. So I don't know what the story is but it is not placebo effect.

I had a headphone change between getting the HA-1 and now so I can't comment on the headphone side. Sounds sweeeet through my Audeze LCD-3.

I hope it goes the same for me.  I've had it out of the box a few hours now, and find the feature set wonderful, but the SQ a bit underwhelming.  A/B'g with my Conductor, I find the bass a little subdued and the sound a bit bright ..... the highs maybe a bit 'tizzy'.  The Conductor is known to be a little bit warm, though.  At this point, the only balanced cable I have is the one included with the LCD-3.  It sounds very nice however.... its dark sound complementing the bright sounding Oppo.  I hope it breaks in for me like it did for you.

Aug 30, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #1,579 of 5,414
I hope it goes the same for me.  I've had it out of the box a few hours now, and find the feature set wonderful, but the SQ a bit underwhelming.  A/B'g with my Conductor, I find the bass a little subdued and the sound a bit bright ..... the highs maybe a bit 'tizzy'.  The Conductor is known to be a little bit warm, though.  At this point, the only balanced cable I have is the one included with the LCD-3.  It sounds very nice however.... its dark sound complementing the bright sounding Oppo.  I hope it breaks in for me like it did for you.
Bob. Keep us informed. I'm also considering purchasing for my LCD3's.

Aug 30, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #1,580 of 5,414
Bob. Keep us informed. I'm also considering purchasing for my LCD3's.

I spent a very enjoyable good part of the night listening with the LCD3s.  I think you'd be very happy with the LCD3 - Oppo combo.   I DID find them a little too dark on the Conductor.

They're now sounding pretty good with my T1s (single-ended), though they sound better on the Conductor.  And I find it hard to listen to my Grado PS500 on the Oppo (too bright).

So, at this point, the unit seems to have broken in a little, though I fully recognize I've probably just begun to acclimate to the sound signature which is different from the Conductor and Lyr I've been used to.

From what I've read, there's more power head-room on the the balanced output, so I'm going to outfit the T1s, HD800 and TH900 with balanced terminations and go from there.

If you're looking for something for your LCD3s though, I find the Oppo the best match for it that I own and would have no qualms recommending it, especially at its price point.

Aug 30, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #1,581 of 5,414
Got mine this morning and have limited time on it but so far so good. Using primarily as a DAC and occasionally as a headphone amp. With my limited time with it I don't find it lacking at all compared to my Schiit Gungnir/Asgard 2 combo. I've got HT bypassed on the MacMini and Denon feeds and have the gain set to normal for my AKG K712s to make use of the volume. 12 o'clock is damn near perfect for most recordings so far. Doesn't get any hotter than the Asgard either.

So far so good.

d9510caeefdbdbafc1d78a01ddea25ec.jpg

Bill

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Aug 31, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #1,582 of 5,414
^

Really nice pic and gear.

A really good idea getting a lava lamp rather than tubes. :D

Aug 31, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #1,583 of 5,414
Thx! Lava lamps are mandatory with HiFis.

Aug 31, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #1,584 of 5,414
Thx! Lava lamps are mandatory with HiFis.

Aug 31, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #1,586 of 5,414
HA!  Not sure what happened there.

Sep 1, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #1,587 of 5,414
  I just received the HA-1 stand today.  All I can say is WOW!

The stand really is much nicer in person than in the photos.  In fact, the photos don't do it justice -- it's beautifully-made.

Hello, I received my HA stand today. I agree, a really beautiful stand. Thanks to Badas for mentioning about it, Hastur and the Oppo customer service. Now I just have to decide if I use the stand for the HA-1 or rather the Auralic Aries?
rolleyes.gif

Thanks again,

Mario

Sep 2, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #1,588 of 5,414

Hello, I received my HA stand today. I agree, a really beautiful stand. Thanks to Badas for mentioning about it, Hastur and the Oppo customer service. Now I just have to decide if I use the stand for the HA-1 or rather the Auralic Aries?
rolleyes.gif

Thanks again,

Mario

Very nice. That silver Oppo is begging to go on that stand.

I don't know if this has been mentioned about cooling.

I have found the Oppo benefits a whole lot by raising it up higher to let more cool airflow come up from under it (there is a grill underneath).
Here is some pics of what I'm talking about.

I just stuck these little feet underneath and the heat is almost halved. I ran for many many hours last night and it was only warm.
smily_headphones1.gif

I noticed in the pic it looks like I have a scratch on the front display. I hope not.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back