Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Jul 23, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #1,261 of 5,414
  Remember, to work as a remote, the amp has to be turned on and working with the app that's playing through the amp.  It's sending a signal back to the computer via the USB connection.  I just don't want anyone to think it's a remote for the computer itself!  On a Mac, if you're watching movies through iTunes, QuickTime, or VLC, and you have the HA-1 selected as the device for sound output, it'll work just fine for volume control, muting, and play/pause.  Trying to go the next track/scene doesn't work to select the next scene in films, though (the button just starts the movie all over again).

Play/pause and volume control for movie is good enough. So for music playback via Aurdivana Plus / iTunes, the remote is fully functioning.

Jul 23, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #1,262 of 5,414

Play/pause and volume control for movie is good enough. So for music playback via Aurdivana Plus / iTunes, the remote is fully functioning.

Fully functional for music playback via Audirvana Plus 1.5.12 (in iTunes integrated mode, but not in standalone mode), iTunes, and VLC.  In Audirvana Plus standalone mode, the remote will not advance to the next song in a playlist or album.  The glimpses I've seen of the beta version of Audirvana Plus 2.0, however, show a full-fledged media player that has music management that looks like iTunes, so the remote may well work with that next version in standalone mode.  I posted a version of this report on the Audirvana Plus support forum, so the developer should see it.

All I can test, however, is the HA-1 connected to my MacBook Pro via USB.  I don't have a home theater setup with the HA-1.

Jul 23, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #1,264 of 5,414
  A couple of questions regarding this.

1.  Does the front mobile input accept a full range of bitrates or limit it to 48KHz of the iphone dock mode?  Does it charge the device at the same time (vs. using the CCK which allows higher bitrates but doesn't charge).?  Can you control the volume from an app at that point?  What about as a regular USB DAC?

2.  Is it an analog pre-amp or digital?

3.  How does the sound compare to the M-DAC? 

Right now I run use iPeng from an iPad via the CCK to the MDAC via balanced to a Bryston 4BST and into B&W CM9s and like the sound. Occasionally I'll throw on the HD650s for headphones but I wonder if this will be enough of an upgrade compared to the MDAC.  I would like an analog input and am intrigued with DSD files but have none currently and it is likely a better headphone amp than the MDAC so it might actually be worth it.

That Bryston/BW combo sounds great. I was shopping for satellites last year almost picked up the BW PM1s. Very nicely balanced speaker.

I would imagine the sound will be close to the MDAC, as Audiolab really hit a home run with that DAC. I believe the preamp on the HA-1 is indeed analog. Here's an excerpt from the Oppo site: "Class A Headphone Amp and Pre-Amp
Fully balanced analog inputs and outputs, purely analog volume control, and an adjustable headphone gain switch."

Jul 24, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #1,265 of 5,414
  A couple of questions regarding this.

1.  Does the front mobile input accept a full range of bitrates or limit it to 48KHz of the iphone dock mode?  Does it charge the device at the same time (vs. using the CCK which allows higher bitrates but doesn't charge).?  Can you control the volume from an app at that point?  What about as a regular USB DAC?

Mobile USB Audio Input (USB A Type):

Input Format: Stereo PCM
PCM Sampling Frequencies: 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz
Profile: USB 2.0, USB Audio 2.0
VBUS Power Output: +5 V, 2.1 A

So it is 48KHz maximum input and will charge most common USB devices connected into it.

Jul 24, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #1,266 of 5,414
  the pause works with jriver and windows media player and media player classic :) (maybe any direct show aware player?)

so I connected the balanced cable..
it is louder - which i didn't expect. I had it at -19dB with the default HD800 jack - now I'm at -26dB for the same loudness. 

Is it better? Maybe? hrmm.. i want to say yes.. but.. it takes to long to switch the cables that i lose the ability to really compare. I know that isn't very useful...

I'll try to setup some time this weekend to give it the time it needs to compare.

Balanced outputs will double the voltage so the exact increase should be +6 dB.

Jul 24, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #1,267 of 5,414
Finally, collected this beauty today
L3000.gif

Jul 24, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #1,269 of 5,414
How does the wywires sound with it, just ordered red cable myself, is there a big improvement over stock cable? Just picked up my Oppo HA -1 last week, nice piece !!!!

I've just received the Red cable last week, and only managed to try the cable tonight.
Both the cable and the amp only have 2-3 hours of usage...lol!

Jul 24, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #1,270 of 5,414

3.  How does the sound compare to the M-DAC? 

My M-DAC is sitting under the bed now.. and no plans on going back to it from the Oppo.

Jul 24, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #1,271 of 5,414

My M-DAC is sitting under the bed now.. and no plans on going back to it from the Oppo.

Mine is waiting for a buyer (see signature). I liked the M-Dac a lot and it kept me happy for a few years. The L/R balance came in handy as my speaker/seating set up was not perfectly central + filters were a nice but the HA-1 is in a different class.

Reference my post earlier regarding Ifi iUSB, I can confirm that with the Gemini Cable and Purifier, it makes a substantial difference. Plenty of reviews etc... out there, it's more money I know but it really does make a difference. 

Jul 24, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #1,272 of 5,414

Mine is waiting for a buyer (see signature). I liked the M-Dac a lot and it kept me happy for a few years. The L/R balance came in handy as my speaker/seating set up was not perfectly central + filters were a nice but the HA-1 is in a different class.

Reference my post earlier regarding Ifi iUSB, I can confirm that with the Gemini Cable and Purifier, it makes a substantial difference. Plenty of reviews etc... out there, it's more money I know but it really does make a difference. 

yeah the M-DAC was great. I wish the Ifi iUSB was cheaper... almost $500 is a bit much and everything sounds pretty amazing now :)

i'm also iffy on spending a lot on any digital cable stuff. digital is digital. the zeroes and ones are making it there or not. (if not.. then it is worth sending some money :D )

Jul 24, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #1,273 of 5,414
HA-1 Infrared Remote also works fine via BT connection, great! However, it appears that Bluetooth connection is limited to 44.1 kHz sample rate also, correct? Is it limited by the fruity devices or by the HA-1?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back