Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Jul 20, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #1,201 of 5,414
Is anybody using the Max upsampling on the Oppo which I believe goes to 32/384khz and if so what are your impressions of it? I guess most of the purist would use none??
also are the occasional audio dropouts via usb connected to Mac due to the usb conncection and would the wyrd from schiit audio help this problem?

Jul 20, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #1,202 of 5,414
Dropouts might be caused by the bus you're using.  If you have multiple USB buses on your computer, find the one that has the fewest connections.  For example, on a MacBook Pro retina, the right-side bus has only the card reader, while the left-side bus has the keyboard, trackpad, etc.  Reportedly, using the least-busy bus can yield the best audio results.   If you have an external hub, make sure it's powered sufficiently to deal with the AC demands of the connected peripherals.  

Another possible problem I've read about comes from apps on your computer, such as backups, indexing, etc.  Try turning those off while listening (Audirvana has a SysOptimizer that can do this on a Mac).

Jul 20, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #1,203 of 5,414
You need to decide for yourself where you come down on equalization  :D .  

A large number of Head-Fiers either tactfully ignore or outright disdain the existence of equalizers, often invoking the name of 'audio fidelity'.  Instead they cycle through multiple sources, DACs, amps, tubes,  cans & possibly cables, looking for that perfect 'synergy' of equipment.  They are of course (largely) just EQing through hardware curation.  An expensive and time consuming process but for many of us that's the hobby; enjoying the search for the perfect collection of equipment that sounds right to our ear.

A smaller number of people appreciate the benefits of EQ, either because they're coming from the speaker realm where it's usually required or because they never got the "it's a sin" memo.  And yet a smaller group embraces audio processing outright, getting into Smyth Realizers and other such phenomena.

I am pretty much in the first group, not out of fidelity concerns but just because I want to experience lots of different equipment without the hassle of EQing every time new gear comes in.  I don't have any specific equipment I can recommend.  I suggest you search for an 'equalization' thread: There are a few around though they seem to get light use.

And back on topic.

I just recently acquired an old meier amp and started enjoying crossfeed. My ideal setup will be to pick the HA-1 and feed it to the Phonitor2. (This is way in the future, due to the high budget). As I save, maybe, just maybe a fully discrete, crossfeed capable Oppo unit will. Be released. :evil:

In the mean time, anyone running bother the HA-1 and a Phonitor, please speak up!

Jul 20, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #1,204 of 5,414
Check out the Onkyo app with the HD in app purchase. $10 gets you 24/96 capable, drag and drop file loading plus iTunes library, and a nice EQ. A CCK lets you output USB to some dacs, including the HA-1.

Do you mean iTunes library stored on the idevice or wirelessly on a remote computer with iTunes installed? I'm having trouble understanding the value of playingusic off physical memory on an idevice if the available memory is so limited.

Jul 20, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #1,205 of 5,414
You need to decide for yourself where you come down on equalization  :D .  

A large number of Head-Fiers either tactfully ignore or outright disdain the existence of equalizers, often invoking the name of 'audio fidelity'.  Instead they cycle through multiple sources, DACs, amps, tubes,  cans & possibly cables, looking for that perfect 'synergy' of equipment.  They are of course (largely) just EQing through hardware curation.  An expensive and time consuming process but for many of us that's the hobby; enjoying the search for the perfect collection of equipment that sounds right to our ear.

A smaller number of people appreciate the benefits of EQ, either because they're coming from the speaker realm where it's usually required or because they never got the "it's a sin" memo.  And yet a smaller group embraces audio processing outright, getting into Smyth Realizers and other such phenomena.

I am pretty much in the first group, not out of fidelity concerns but just because I want to experience lots of different equipment without the hassle of EQing every time new gear comes in.  I don't have any specific equipment I can recommend.  I suggest you search for an 'equalization' thread: There are a few around though they seem to get light use.

And back on topic.

That was very well written and explained. :)

Yes coming from a HT background. I am very use to room EQ correction. So we naturally don't fret about EQ.

I think I will experiment with a bit of booth. Equipment and EQ.
I do plan to pick up darker HP's (LCD2.2) then eventually feed the DAC signal from the HA1 into a WA7 firefly. This should darken the sound a bit.

At the moment tho I am enjoying what EQ is doing to my overly bright HP's.

I have been feeling guilty going off topic. I have appreciated the advice and will try and stay on topic and talk about the marvellous HA-1. :wink:

Jul 20, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #1,206 of 5,414
I have been listening to the ha1 with hd800 (oem se cable, high gain) and found the sound bright. I noticed some edginess too. Will going balanced help relsove the brightness or edginess? Heard the same through alpha dog se cable too. Setup is surface pro 3> jriver> usb> ha1.

Jul 20, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #1,207 of 5,414
Do you mean iTunes library stored on the idevice or wirelessly on a remote computer with iTunes installed? I'm having trouble understanding the value of playingusic off physical memory on an idevice if the available memory is so limited.

iTunes library on the device.  I have a 64gb iPhone, which holds more than enough ALAC music for my needs at any one time, with room left over for the little bit of high res. music I have at the moment.  I don't *think* the Onkyo app does streaming from a remote library.

I'd say check it out.  The app is free.  If you want to use the HD portion (flac and others, 24/96) it will cost $9.99 .  I seldom pay for apps or in app purchases, (Cheap bxxxtxxd…) but this one was worth it to me.  YMMV, IMHO, BFD, BMF, BMOC, CMFIC, etc...

Jul 20, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #1,210 of 5,414
I have been listening to the ha1 with hd800 (oem se cable, high gain) and found the sound bright. I noticed some edginess too. Will going balanced help relsove the brightness or edginess? Heard the same through alpha dog se cable too. Setup is surface pro 3> jriver> usb> ha1.
how many hours do you have on the HA-1? I am in the same boat as you but after about40 hours the HA-1 /HD800 combo is sounding better... However I am on low gain....and it's fine for me.

Jul 20, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #1,211 of 5,414
how many hours do you have on the HA-1? I am in the same boat as you but after about40 hours the HA-1 /HD800 combo is sounding better... However I am on low gain....and it's fine for me.

I have over 120 hours on the ha1. I have tried low gain but it wasn't loud enough for me. At high gain I'm at the 9-12 o'clock range depending on the track.

Jul 20, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #1,212 of 5,414
Need some help here on what type of cable material to use (Copper or Silver or hybrid) if i were to connect HA-1 as preamp out to balanced amp like say Woo WA22 or Schiit Mjolnir? Would it be still possible to use the remote control of HA1 to control volume? or when preamp out the volume master control is with the amp we connect? 

Anyone tried using ifi Gemini USB cable that splits USB Type B into 2 Type A (1 for audio and 1 for power)? is there a significant improvement over SQ if use this kind of cable? 

Anyone from Singapore knows where to get HA1 as was told the waiting list is pretty long.

Thanks in advance. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back