Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Jul 11, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #1,036 of 5,414

Test OPPO HA-1: Reference HDfever award for extraordinary DAC!

Tracks and measures in Nico >>
Tracks and measures in Nico >>
Here is a marathon review of the HA-1 by Nicolas Bécuwe of HDFever on July 10, 2014.    No doubt this is the most diverse technically/image laden review you will have the pleasure of viewing.
L3000.gif

source

Very interesting indeed. Although they missed the one detail I wanted to know which was the type of opamp used. They mentioned they exist for all of the outputs, but despite mentioning very specifically the components used elsewhere like brands of capacitors and transistors...they didn't mention this which was a very odd omission.

Jul 11, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #1,037 of 5,414
^ Yep, the HA-1 is not meant to be used as a media player.
The asynchronous USB and MOBILE USB inputs are already incredible features as-is.
A great combo would be to pair it with something like the uber popular Oppo BDP-103 or BDP-103D for your source playback from USB drives and discs.
However if you can store all your stuff on pc/mac and/or IOS/mobile devices, then you can get it all from the HA-1 alone.
:)

Jul 11, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #1,038 of 5,414

Very interesting indeed. Although they missed the one detail I wanted to know which was the type of opamp used. They mentioned they exist for all of the outputs, but despite mentioning very specifically the components used elsewhere like brands of capacitors and transistors...they didn't mention this which was a very odd omission.

Quote:
  We use op-amps, but the manufacturer and model numbers are not available at the top of my head. For the BDP-95 and the BDP-105 we used Texas Instruments LM4562/LME49720 op-amps, so it is very likely that we are using similar chips in the HA-1.

^ mentioned earlier in the thread.

Jul 11, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #1,039 of 5,414
  ^ for the person who was asking about opamps 

Many thanks with the only minor exception that HasturTheYellow said "it is very likely we are using similar chips"...which basically means he wasn't 100% sure. But thank you...at least it gives me something to go on :)

Just to add that LM4562 and LME49720 are the same thing and is a highly regarded op-amp....audiophile level just below doing it discretely without op-amps at all.

Jul 11, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #1,040 of 5,414

TH 900s work just fine with HA-1, no problems with noise floor, distortion, etc.  Volume does ramp up quickly, leave it on low gain.

I have the Fostex th600 here, which I believe is a more (or similar) demanding test...
Specs:
Impedance: 25ohm
Sensitivity: 94dB mW
Maximum Input: 1,800 mW

At high gain on the HA-1 upon reaching the halfway on the volume (about-13db)
It is already at ear bleed loudness levels that I cannot tolerate for long.
This is the 1/8 headphone out, not the balanced xlr. .
Now I pause the music on foobar2k and turn volume to maximum to see what I hear.. .
Listening. .
Straining..
Nothing. .
Not the slightest tiny bit of sound.
Zero "low level" noise detected. .

Thanks for the feedback on this.  The following review was also very complimentary: http://headfonics.com/2014/07/the-ha-1-headphone-dacamp-by-oppo/2/

"The Lawton Denon D7000 also paired incredibly well with the HA-1, these are two headphones never to skip over if you own the HA-1" (the other headphone referred to being the PM-1).

To the extent that the D7000 and TH-900 are similar, I would think this opinion carries over to the Fostex.  FYI, this review is also very interesting in its (qualitative) comparison of the DAC implementation on the HA-1 and Burson Conductor, another amp/DAC I considered.  I'm going with the HA-1: it's got everything I want, nothing I don't want, it's considerably less expensive, and---a big bonus for me---it has a remote.  I seem to be in the minority, but I really like a remote with a head amp, which really limits the options.

Jul 11, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #1,042 of 5,414
The asynchronous USB and MOBILE USB inputs are already incredible features as-is.
A great combo would be to pair it with something like the uber popular Oppo BDP-103 or BDP-103D for your source playback from USB drives and discs.
However if you can store all your stuff on pc/mac and/or IOS/mobile devices, then you can get it all from the HA-1 alone.
smily_headphones1.gif

Ok Smarty-britches, If I'd have KNOWN Oppo was building this kick-ass HA, I WOULD have bought the 103 instead of the 105.
But NO!!!! these things must be kept under wraps don't they!!

Jul 11, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #1,043 of 5,414
smily_headphones1.gif

Yup, that's what I have.    Two source components and the HA-1.  Nice

Jul 11, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #1,044 of 5,414
  Ok Smarty-britches, If I'd have KNOWN Oppo was building this kick-ass HA, I WOULD have bought the 103 instead of the 105.
But NO!!!! these things must be kept under wraps don't they!!

Just to give a bit of perspective of the timeline involved with your comment.

BDP-103 released 10-03-2012, BDP-105 11-16-2012 (approx dates)

How do you expect Oppo to let you know about the HA-1 so far in advance when it was first mentioned online Aug 18th, 2013 only as a prototype, and finally available after official launch April 11th this year, shipped a few days later.  Yes it was under development for some time.
tongue.gif

Jul 11, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #1,045 of 5,414

I wouldn't call asynchronous USB an "incredible" feature, it's pretty standard now a days.  The Mobile USB is useless to non Apple users..  Just saying..

It's still a nice feature. I didn't mean it was ground breaking or anything, but it adds to the overall list of high quality features of the unit.
As far as listening to external sources through the HA-1, they've covered all the bases that an audio-only unit needs.
The mobile input can also be used with the proper Android devices with an adapter... or you could just buy an iPod.

Jul 11, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #1,046 of 5,414

Many thanks with the only minor exception that HasturTheYellow said "it is very likely we are using similar chips"...which basically means he wasn't 100% sure. But thank you...at least it gives me something to go on :)

They are not the same, which is why I said the are likely similar. We have always used TI OP/AMPs, so it is a matter of which ones we used for the HA-1. I have the day off, but I will try to get the actual OP/AMP information for you on Monday. Unless I forget.

Jul 11, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #1,050 of 5,414

They are not the same, which is why I said the are likely similar. We have always used TI OP/AMPs, so it is a matter of which ones we used for the HA-1. I have the day off, but I will try to get the actual OP/AMP information for you on Monday. Unless I forget.

Now that's dedicated support, and one of the reasons I purchase products from OPPO!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back