Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Jul 19, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #1,186 of 5,414
[snip]

I don't think I will ever be in a mine is more powerful than yours situation. I just want to plug in a set of HP's and know the amp is doing great. I find I don't like listening loud anyway. I have my HD 700 on high gain one third volume.

You may want to try using low gain at 1/2 to 2/3 volume instead. Common head fi wisdom says it's better to use the upper range of the volume pot for dynamics and volume tracking than to use the lower range on high gain.

Jul 19, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #1,187 of 5,414
You may want to try using low gain at 1/2 to 2/3 volume instead. Common head fi wisdom says it's better to use the upper range of the volume pot for dynamics and volume tracking than to use the lower range on high gain.

Thanks. You guys are teaching me so much. Anyone want's to know about home theatre PM me . I have 25 years experience in that.:D

I wonder if an equaliser program could be installed on the iPod as an app and then send to the HA-1? There is a few of them on the App Store. However they may only work on the crappy iPod analog outputs. I'm sending using digital. I think I might experiment.

Jul 19, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #1,189 of 5,414
Thanks. You guys are teaching me so much. Anyone want's to know about home theatre PM me . I have 25 years experience in that.:D

I wonder if an equaliser program could be installed on the iPod as an app and then send to the HA-1? There is a few of them on the App Store. However they may only work on the crappy iPod analog outputs. I'm sending using digital. I think I might experiment.

Check out the Onkyo app with the HD in app purchase. $10 gets you 24/96 capable, drag and drop file loading plus iTunes library, and a nice EQ. A CCK lets you output USB to some dacs, including the HA-1.

Jul 19, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #1,192 of 5,414

No problem.

As for HT I have the JVC-RS2, bought new so it's getting old. Might want to upgrade soon but the head gear is taking up all my time. Nothing beats a 120" screen in a custom theatre where I don't need to put up with jerks kicking my chair and browsing their phones.

Jul 20, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #1,193 of 5,414
No problem.

As for HT I have the JVC-RS2, bought new so it's getting old. Might want to upgrade soon but the head gear is taking up all my time. Nothing beats a 120" screen in a custom theatre where I don't need to put up with jerks kicking my chair and browsing their phones.

Definetly PM with any questions Dude. I had a RS2 back in 2008. Moved to Cineversum Blackwing 3 ( used JVC Tech) and now have the DreamVision Yunzi + 3 (modified JVC X95 with the new dynamic iris) purchased this year. So I have experience. I help a lot of people after projector info. :)

I remember the RS2 being a great piece of kit. Hey warning about lamps. A mate bought mine and ran aftermarket lamps in it. They run hotter and in the end killed the main display panel. Use genuine lamps they run cooler.

Do you also know about the lamp prism clean that gets rid of carbon build up and increases the brightness?

Jul 20, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #1,194 of 5,414

Worked really well dude. I'm running at -8 on low gain and everything sounds deeper.

Hey I also just played with the EQ settings pre-loaded in my iPod (160G classic) and I like what it did. Just used bass booster. It has deepened everything up. Most of my HP listening is iPod.

Jul 20, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #1,195 of 5,414
Is that good for Android?

Try USB Audio Player Pro for Android. It is not limited to 24/96 and file transfer is not as complicated as iOS.

Jul 20, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #1,196 of 5,414
Worked really well dude. I'm running at -8 on low gain and everything sounds deeper.

Hey I also just played with the EQ settings pre-loaded in my iPod (160G classic) and I like what it did. Just used bass booster. It has deepened everything up. Most of my HP listening is iPod.

Glad to hear! Just watch out for clipping using those iPod EQ settings.

Jul 20, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #1,197 of 5,414
Glad to hear! Just watch out for clipping using those iPod EQ settings.

Would the clipping be in the bass where I boosted it? So far so good. However I hear a bit in high treble. I think that's IPod tho. More likely distortion rather than clipping.

How do you find your LCD2.2 with the Oppo HA-1? Does it roll of the treble? That is what I really want.
I have a line on a local used pair. Think I will pick up this week if they are in good condition. :)

Jul 20, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #1,198 of 5,414
Would the clipping be in the bass where I boosted it? So far so good. However I hear a bit in high treble. I think that's IPod tho. More likely distortion rather than clipping.

How do you find your LCD2.2 with the Oppo HA-1? Does it roll of the treble? That is what I really want.
I have a line on a local used pair. Think I will pick up this week if they are in good condition. :)

You'll hear clipping more in the treble region and it'll sound like distortion, and it won't be from the HA-1.

I like my LCD 2.2 very much with the HA-1, especially when I want that bass and mid focus. As far as rolled off treble I guess that's a matter of perspective. Compared to my XC the 2.2 does indeed sound rolled off. On it's own I don't miss the high mids and treble of the XC (the details are there but not at the forefront). In comparison it sounds veiled next to the XC, so in essence it may be what you're looking for.

Jul 20, 2014 at 6:02 AM Post #1,199 of 5,414
You'll hear clipping more in the treble region and it'll sound like distortion, and it won't be from the HA-1.

I like my LCD 2.2 very much with the HA-1, especially when I want that bass and mid focus. As far as rolled off treble I guess that's a matter of perspective. Compared to my XC the 2.2 does indeed sound rolled off. On it's own I don't miss the high mids and treble of the XC (the details are there but not at the forefront). In comparison it sounds veiled next to the XC, so in essence it may be what you're looking for.

I'm going to see if I can that used pair this week then. I want to get the pre Frazer. :)

Jul 20, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #1,200 of 5,414
I only use CD via optical, SACD DVD Audio via analog and iPod via a Arcam Dock via coaxial. No computer. Is there a piece of hardware I could add in the chain where I could play with equalisation? Or do I just get HP's that suit my taste and leave it?

You need to decide for yourself where you come down on equalization 
biggrin.gif

A large number of Head-Fiers either tactfully ignore or outright disdain the existence of equalizers, often invoking the name of 'audio fidelity'.  Instead they cycle through multiple sources, DACs, amps, tubes,  cans & possibly cables, looking for that perfect 'synergy' of equipment.  They are of course (largely) just EQing through hardware curation.  An expensive and time consuming process but for many of us that's the hobby; enjoying the search for the perfect collection of equipment that sounds right to our ear.

A smaller number of people appreciate the benefits of EQ, either because they're coming from the speaker realm where it's usually required or because they never got the "it's a sin" memo.  And yet a smaller group embraces audio processing outright, getting into Smyth Realizers and other such phenomena.

I am pretty much in the first group, not out of fidelity concerns but just because I want to experience lots of different equipment without the hassle of EQing every time new gear comes in.  I don't have any specific equipment I can recommend.  I suggest you search for an 'equalization' thread: There are a few around though they seem to get light use.

And back on topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back