Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Nov 8, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #5,236 of 5,414
The HA-1 pulls 70W when running. At 110V that's less than 1A.
As long as whatever you plug it into can handle that modest power consumption, it should work fine and sound transparent.

Feb 3, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #5,238 of 5,414
My HA-1 has been functioning beautifully since I got it 4 years ago, but I've just noticed the display has gone "wonky". After turning it on, everything turns to gibberish and then it flickers. I've sent an email to Oppo Technical Support, but I figured I'd ask if there was an easy fix. I'd hate to have to send it in for service. Thanks!

Feb 3, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #5,239 of 5,414
Feb 3, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #5,241 of 5,414
I doubt it. Sounds like a hardware problem -- not software. Even though Oppo doesn't make them anymore, it's worth contacting them to see if they will repair it. Used HA-1s go for about $1k and up on eBay so it's worth repairing if you can.

Feb 5, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #5,242 of 5,414
Quick update: Oppo support suggested I unplug all cables, hold down the power button for five seconds, then plug directly into the wall (bypass any power strips or conditioners). I did this, and it fixed the problem. However last night, I plugged it back into the power strip, and several hours later, this display began to flicker again. Could this be an issue with the power strip? So strange!

Feb 5, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #5,243 of 5,414
Quick update: Oppo support suggested I unplug all cables, hold down the power button for five seconds, then plug directly into the wall (bypass any power strips or conditioners). I did this, and it fixed the problem. However last night, I plugged it back into the power strip, and several hours later, this display began to flicker again. Could this be an issue with the power strip? So strange!

Well obviously if it only happens with that power strip. HA-1 is quite a sensitive to power, you unplug it and hold the power button to discharge it, for whatever reasons you might want to do that. But, yes HA-1 needs a clean power source otherwise it goes all janky. I don't think my house has any particular issues with power delivery, but there are times when HA-1 is triggered to just turn off, I think that is a safety feature, but I don't even notice that even for a second... Only recently did I actually see the light flicker and my HA-1 along with my speaker amp went into protective mode.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #5,244 of 5,414
... I don't think my house has any particular issues with power delivery, but there are times when HA-1 is triggered to just turn off, I think that is a safety feature ...
The HA-1 has several protection circuits that shut it off if it detects anything wonky with power or connections. It's got them on the power supply, and on the 1/4" headphone jack, among other places. These relays are sensitive and sometimes trigger for no apparent reason. The HA-1 doesn't need a lot of power, but it likes clean power and will shut off if it detects instability.

For example: when you plug a headphone into the 1/4" jack, it triggers a relay that shuts off the balanced headphone output (but keeps the HA-1 powered up). This 1/4" jack also has a protection relay that shuts off the HA-1 entirely if it detects a short circuit. Sometimes this relay triggers for no reason even with nothing plugged into it, and the HA-1 suddenly shuts off. When this happens, it helps to exercise the relay a few times to reset it.

While the HA-1 is off, plug in a 1/4" headphone jack. Power on the HA-1. Wait a moment for it to power up, you'll hear relays click when it's ready. Unplug the 1/4", wait a moment and you'll hear a relay click. Plug it back in, wait a moment for the relay click. Do this a few more times to exercise the relay.

Feb 5, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #5,245 of 5,414
The HA-1 has several protection circuits that shut it off if it detects anything wonky with power or connections. It's got them on the power supply, and on the 1/4" headphone jack, among other places. These relays are sensitive and sometimes trigger for no apparent reason. The HA-1 doesn't need a lot of power, but it likes clean power and will shut off if it detects instability.

For example: when you plug a headphone into the 1/4" jack, it triggers a relay that shuts off the balanced headphone output (but keeps the HA-1 powered up). This 1/4" jack also has a protection relay that shuts off the HA-1 entirely if it detects a short circuit. Sometimes this relay triggers for no reason even with nothing plugged into it, and the HA-1 suddenly shuts off. When this happens, it helps to exercise the relay a few times to reset it.

While the HA-1 is off, plug in a 1/4" headphone jack. Power on the HA-1. Wait a moment for it to power up, you'll hear relays click when it's ready. Unplug the 1/4", wait a moment and you'll hear a relay click. Plug it back in, wait a moment for the relay click. Do this a few more times to exercise the relay.

I figured that much. ^^ It doesn't trigger anything often and even if it does, only does it once and it is fine, but I do remember it triggering multiple times, so good to know about the 1/4".

Feb 5, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #5,246 of 5,414
Such a shame that Oppo quit the Audio business. I love my CD player as well as my HA-1....I just love every little thing about my HP amp. Mine is 2 plus years old...I only use the Amp with another DAC....but that thing rocks!

It looks like Oppo still porvides support with is good....they were always very friendly towards me and very helpful with info about that fine sounding bit of Kit. Plenty of power for my HD-800S and my Mr. Speakers AFC...

Cheers!

Feb 5, 2019 at 11:47 PM Post #5,247 of 5,414
Well, it looks like it’s not the power strip. I left it plugged directly into the wall, and sure enough, the screen begins to flicker after a few minutes. Turning it off and on again corrects it for a little while, then back to flickering.

Do I have any choice other than spending the money on an out of warranty repair with Oppo?

Feb 6, 2019 at 3:15 AM Post #5,248 of 5,414
has anyone compared pm1 to mdr z1r?

Feb 6, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #5,249 of 5,414
Well, it looks like it’s not the power strip ... Do I have any choice other than spending the money on an out of warranty repair with Oppo?
I recommend fixing it. If you like the HA-1 and intend to keep it, with value on the used marked around $1000 it's worth fixing. And even if you plan to sell it, it's still worth fixing because it's not worth much when broken, and the value you gain by fixing it is likely to be much greater than the cost to fix it.

That said, I plan to sell my HA-1 soon. I still like my HA-1 but I was seduced by Jan Meier's Corda Soul.

Feb 6, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #5,250 of 5,414
I second this...:L3000:

I recommend fixing it. If you like the HA-1 and intend to keep it, with value on the used marked around $1000 it's worth fixing. And even if you plan to sell it, it's still worth fixing because it's not worth much when broken, and the value you gain by fixing it is likely to be much greater than the cost to fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back