Oppo BDP-80 Blu-ray universal player....coming 1/25/2010
Jan 23, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #7 of 32
Just because it says Oppo on the front doesn't mean it worth a damn. It's still a entry level player and nothing more.

I would contend for 300-400USD a used Denon 3910/3930 or Marantz SA8001 is a far better way to spend your money if you want a truly great performing Universal player (the Marantz isn't quite Universal but it's a great player none the less) for not a lot of cash.

Another drawback to these players are the throw away nature of them....like 50 or 60 dollar Wal Mart specials they are not meant to last very long and it's highly likely the Wal Mart special has the same transport/servo chip in it as the Oppo. Of course I could be wrong but Oppo isn't going to make a palyer they can't make any money on. So what suffers in this mix ? Parts quality and chassis rigidity/mass which are critical to SQ. Don't throw away 300USD on half baked low budget stuff unless you have no other choice. Then again if you do have 300+ and change get yourself a used Maratz/Denon player instead......way way way WAYYYYYYYY better source.

Just my 2 cents when it comes to cheap spinners...

Peete.

Jan 24, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #8 of 32
Spec wise is seems to be the same. I am still in my 30 day window of my new BDP-83. From a build quality perspective I can say that the 83 is close to Denon quality and certainly the nicest Blu-Ray player I have owned. So as Peete projects perhaps its quality of parts and build?

Jan 24, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #9 of 32
I don't think this is aimed at the super high end tech videophile/audiophile. I think your being harsh Peete, oppo has yet to make a bad product. This is supposed to be an improved version of the crap you buy at Best buy and wal-mart. It's pretty price compeititive too, and I seriously doubt any other mass market player will come close to it's overall features/performance. Most of them are slow as ****, don't have USB ports, are doing good to play back CDA and JPG's. Barely meet the BD Live spec, and often don't even have internal memory. Why would you even compare this new product at 289$ to a "used" product that cost 600+(new retail) c'mon. That's like me comparing my Marantz SR8500 (1500$ Retail) that I paid 400$ for to a current model 400$ integrated. The 8 year old marantz will walk all over it.

As for the "Throw away" nature, oppo does offer a pretty resonable extended 3 yr warrenty. + 1 year standard, that's 4 years. And as long as oppo continues to put out 500$ players that compete with 2000$ players, I think I will feel like I got my money's worth if it breaks in 4 years.
This player is a Blue Ray player first, and a xxxx player second, and should not be compared on it's audio abilities alone.

Jan 24, 2010 at 4:32 AM Post #10 of 32
I have no doubt that this will be better than the $200-300 mass market players you'll find at your local BB. Not only does it play pretty much all formats every oppo I've had has been a strong performer and I've only ever had one issue, and Oppo fixed it free even though it was out of warranty. They even paid shipping both ways.

Jan 24, 2010 at 5:39 AM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if this one will get repackaged and sold for $3,000, as well.

icon10.gif

Jan 25, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think this is aimed at the super high end tech videophile/audiophile. I think your being harsh Peete, oppo has yet to make a bad product. This is supposed to be an improved version of the crap you buy at Best buy and wal-mart. It's pretty price compeititive too, and I seriously doubt any other mass market player will come close to it's overall features/performance. Most of them are slow as ****, don't have USB ports, are doing good to play back CDA and JPG's. Barely meet the BD Live spec, and often don't even have internal memory. Why would you even compare this new product at 289$ to a "used" product that cost 600+(new retail) c'mon. That's like me comparing my Marantz SR8500 (1500$ Retail) that I paid 400$ for to a current model 400$ integrated. The 8 year old marantz will walk all over it.

As for the "Throw away" nature, oppo does offer a pretty resonable extended 3 yr warrenty. + 1 year standard, that's 4 years. And as long as oppo continues to put out 500$ players that compete with 2000$ players, I think I will feel like I got my money's worth if it breaks in 4 years.
This player is a Blue Ray player first, and a xxxx player second, and should not be compared on it's audio abilities alone.

Your are right Mike I am being a little harsh but I've been through scads of these players over the years and the internal parts quality keeps getting worse and worse as the years pass. It's getting so bad that very few high quality transports are being mass produced ( I can only think of 5 or 6 when they're used to be double maybe even triple that amount just 10 years ago). You'd be shocked to learn (I'll bet ) that 2K USD blu ray deck (just an example) will likely have no better transport in it than the 300USD Oppo. Now does that mean Oppo is using better parts ? Nope, it means the dudes charging 2K are using a cheap transport and they likely have no other choice unless they design their own which many manufacturers used to do but rarely do now (unless you are willing to open that wallet wide, think Esoteric, SONY ES, ). A lot of players are using cheap as dirt DVD RAM drives.......kinda cool but hardly hi fi.

Granted Oppo has a good name but who gave it that boost ? Much like the far better built Benchmark DAC1 Pre that came out of nowhere thanks (?) to Stereophile they lend credence/legitimacy to gear that has no business (at times) getting the praise it does.

That factors into the equation. I've been in this game right from the start (first digital player was a SONY back in 83) that was built like a battleship but suffered horribly from NOS/steep analog brick wall filter syndrome. You know I still have that damn thing and it still spins discs although it skips a lot now. I haven't had a <300USD player last longer than 2 or 3 years before crapping out (heavy use obviously) but the parts quality vs price has steadily gone in two different directions over the years (price up, quality down). That is why I suggest a used Denon 3910 for that same 300USD. The thing is built like that SONY battleship with a transport and surrounding circuitry that runs rings around the Oppo. My rule of thumb with audio is to use a specialized player for that task and if you need Blu Ray buy another machine for that purpose. The problem with a lot of the do it all wonder boxes is the same as the do it all HT receivers....they end up being a half decent jack of all trades but a pretty poor master of none.

All IMO of course, take with a heavy dose of sodium
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Jan 25, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #13 of 32
I think the problem is looking at this device as a SACD/CD/DVD-A player. Don't look at it like that. Look at it like a Superb Blu-Ray player, with all the other stuff thrown in for free. You could buy a big box store blu-ray player and just get mediocore blu-ray playback, and almost nothing else, or pay 50$ more for the oppo and get Superb blu-ray and so-so everything else. I understand what your saying though and feel your pain. I don't think anything Oppo makes, except perhaps the BDP-83 SE has a place in a High End audiophile setup, but it sure does make pretty pictures, and can hold it's own vs videophile equipment at any price.

Jan 25, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the problem is looking at this device as a SACD/CD/DVD-A player. Don't look at it like that. Look at it like a Superb Blu-Ray player, with all the other stuff thrown in for free. You could buy a big box store blu-ray player and just get mediocore blu-ray playback, and almost nothing else, or pay 50$ more for the oppo and get Superb blu-ray and so-so everything else. I understand what your saying though and feel your pain. I don't think anything Oppo makes, except perhaps the BDP-83 SE has a place in a High End audiophile setup, but it sure does make pretty pictures, and can hold it's own vs videophile equipment at any price.

Agreed.

You might find this odd but I have rarely used/use any of my DVD/SACD/DVDA what have you players for movie playback. I do like movies however but I'd rather listen to music when it comes down to it given the choice (unless it's a 5 star killer must watch).

My neighbor across the street has a really nice 60 inch plasma and a fancy pants Blu Ray player ...unfortunately the firmware is buggy as hell and he needs me to update it in order for it play BR discs properly. That's on the "soon to do list" which = free beer
biggrin.gif

Peete.

Jan 25, 2010 at 6:06 AM Post #15 of 32
So when I looked at the SACD playback options, it says :

SACD output over HDMI:BDP 80 - DSD/PCMBDP 83 - DSD/PCM
SACD output over Analog:BPD 80 -PCM BDP 83 - DSD/PCM

So that means SACD cannot be output through the digital coax/optical outs on either of these. Seems the Marantz SA8001/03 also doesn't do that. Any reason why its so ? I was primarily looking for a Blu-ray player which could also play SACD's with capabilities to output to the digital outs so that I can connect it to a good external DAC. Any other player which can do that ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back