OPPO BDP-105 headphone Amp
Dec 20, 2012 at 7:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 65

HiAudio

100+ Head-Fier
On this OPPO there is specifically installed headphone Amp. How is it? How does it comapre to other standalone headphone Amp? Can it drive Senn HD650 (and HD800)? Does it matter if connect headphone to the front headphone jack or its back balanced or unbalanced connection.

Dec 28, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #3 of 65
I'm not sure if there are any head-fiers with an Oppo 105 and Senns. There are comments here though  http://www.avsforum.com/t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread/1365#post_22719713

Dec 28, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #4 of 65
Quote:
On this OPPO there is specifically installed headphone Amp. How is it? How does it comapre to other standalone headphone Amp? Can it drive Senn HD650 (and HD800)? Does it matter if connect headphone to the front headphone jack or its back balanced or unbalanced connection.

I own a BDP-105.

There are some compromises with the built in head amp compared to a good stand-alone head amp. The chief compromise is limited gain when playing down mixed multichannel material. The reason for this was that Oppo doesn't want to blow out earbuds etc. if someone were to use these in the Oppo.

I've used mine with an LCD2v2 and found that it sounds pretty good on 2 channel material. It sounded at least as good with those phones as my Lavry DA10 does within the Oppo gain limits. I have also tried a Senn 650 and was happy with it. I don't have an 800, but I sort of think it not be that great a combination because the Oppo doesn't shy away from the treble. I've also tried a Beyer DT-880 Pro, which turned out to work very well with the Oppo.

I haven't tried the rear outs, but it's unlikely they would work well because they are designed for the much higher impedance that a pre-amp offers.

Feb 2, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #5 of 65
Previously, I was driving my HD650s from a Yamaha S2500 to a Yamaha HTR-3064 Amp via analog, to a Fiio E9. Just recently I bought an Oppo 105 (and Denon 4311) and plugged my HD650s....OMG!!! I absolutely love the sound with CDs, SACDs, DVDAs and even DualDiscs!!!! The combination of Sabre DACs with the high quality amp in the oppo sounds sublime! I think the Oppo has plenty of gain for the 650s, on most music 95/100 on volume is enough, only once did I need to go to 100 and again that was fine. The SQ is amazing!

Mar 20, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #6 of 65
Just bought the 105 & I'm very, very impressed. The head amp is also excellent. I connected my yulong a18 and with my he400 -using single ended for fair comparison- & compared the 2 amps. Both very similar and musical but I'd have to give the edge to the internal amp suprisingly. Slightly more refined and coherent. Other cans may broader the difference in other ways, who knows.
When I connected the xlr outs to the a18 and ran my t1's balanced, the combo was in incredible. So musical and precise, I love it.
Also the USB to coax converter peforms very well too.
Very happy.

Mar 28, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #7 of 65
Oppo added DSD processing of locals storage in the latest beta firmware for the 105. May have just sealed the deal for me. I've had two Oppos and the products are great and the customer service is even better. Especially when you live 45 mins from the mothership in Mt. View!

http://www.stereophile.com/content/news-flash-oppo-now-plays-dsd-files

Apr 24, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #8 of 65
Bumping this for continued impressions if there are any.  I randomly found out about this when looking for USB to spdif devices.  This thing looks awesome in that it can play any disc, stream music, play videos and music from HDD, and has a decent headphone out.  Can replace a dedicated HTPC/audio computer - dac- headphone amp combo.  With DSD coming soon, this thing looks like a scandalously good deal.

May 10, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #9 of 65
I am planning on getting the Oppo 105 and pairing it with the RSA Raptor, I'm a bit torn on which to buy 1st, as each is about  $1200. The Oppo is so feature rich, that it seems like the perfect piece of gear. Please keep the reviews and comments coming in, much appreciated !

May 20, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #10 of 65
I think the depends on the equipment you have now. The Oppo's headphone amp really does a nice job with my HD650s (300 ohm heaphones). Could it use a lil more power (ie volume), yes! But if you have lower impedance phones or your current media player doesn't have as nice DACs or doesn't integrate them as nicely, then I would go for the Oppo first. Even if you do have cans that are about as hard to drive as 650s, id still go with the Oppo first. It really does deliver a great increase in quality over most gear priced equally or below.

If your cans are harder to drive than HD650s (+300 ohm cans), or your current gear is already pretty top notch, then go with the Raptor; the HD650s are about the upper limit of what the Oppo can drive to good volumes.

May 25, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #12 of 65
From the manual of my Oppo 105, for comparison purposes:

600 Ohms - 17mw
300 Ohms - 34mw
150 Ohms - 63mw
120 Ohms - 77mw
60 Ohms - 120mw
30 Ohms - 187mw

- Be reminded that a 3db increase in sound pressure requires a doubling of power.

As pointed out above - It'll adequately drive HD650s (sounds nice!), but not much more IMHO.

Jul 7, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #13 of 65
Quote:
[...] There are some compromises with the built in head amp compared to a good stand-alone head amp. The chief compromise is limited gain when playing down mixed multichannel material. The reason for this was that Oppo doesn't want to blow out earbuds etc. if someone were to use these in the Oppo.
[...]

This seems to have been remedied/changed in the latest official firmware release dated 3 May 2013:
OPPO BDP-103/BDP-105 Blu-ray Disc Player Firmware Update
http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/BDP103-firmware-50-0422.aspx
Release Information:
Release date: May 3, 2013. 
Category: Latest Official Release

Main Version: BDP10X-50-0422
Loader Version: 6U0900 or 7B1000 (BDP-103), 7B1000 (BDP-105)
Sub Version: MCU103-05-0916 (BDP-103), MCU105-04-01113 (BDP-105)

11. Improved the down-mixing algorithm for the BDP-105's headphone output. This results in better volume and sound staging when playing certain multi-channel audio sources.
  1. This change takes advantage of the main audio DSP (digital signal processor) that is normally assigned to the multi-channel analog output. When headphones are connected, the multi-channel analog output is muted and the DSP is temporarily reconfigured for stereo down-mixing, and its output is routed to the headphone amplifier. Please do not try to adjust the player's audio processing settings while the headphones are plugged in, as these settings are only temporarily used and will be restored to the user's original settings when the headphones are removed.

Jul 7, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #14 of 65
Jul 8, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #15 of 65
I received/collected my OPPO BDP-105EU last week, but didn't unpack, connect and try it until the weekend.

It was delivered with an older firmware version, but one of the first things I did was to perform a firmware uppdate to the latest official firmware release dated 3 May 2013. Hence I don't know much about how it behaves with older firmware.

Yesterday evening I played the CD "The Very Best Of Emmylou Harris: Heartaches & Highways" as a CD(/disc) in the OPPO BDP-105EU. I do know that foobar2000 calculates a negative ReplayGain for this CD, but I don't remember how much, though I remember it as decent considering its release year.

I briefly tried part of track 1 "Love Hurts" with my beyerdynamic T 5 p and Sennheiser HD 800, but both were a bit/somewhat louder than my normal comfort zone, even on volume step 1. 0 is mute/silent. The loudness level may be perfectly fine for many people though, since "I listen at (very) moderate loudness levels" as stated in my signature and indicated below.

Before trying them I did some calculations that may indicate that I may have better luck with beyerdynamic T 1 and/or AKG K 701.

For reference purposes some of my typical volume setting numbers for other equipment combinations/replay chains:

I often use foobar2000 with ReplayGain and an extra -3 dB, Grace Design m903 or Lynx Hilo. beyerdynamic T 5 p + m903 with a typical volume setting around 28 +/-. Something similar for Denon AH-D7000. Sennheiser HD 800 around 40-42 +/-. Same chain but with Lynx Hilo with a typical volume setting around -69.5 dB +/- for Denon AH-D600. I don't remember numbers for the other headphones at the moment.

Extract from "Which of these is a Grace Design m903 a goof match for?" post #23:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDWMcInSpots /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[...]

Quote:
Some of you listen rather loudly. :p Typically I set my Grace m903 between 40 and 50 with no boost. Then again, my headphones are all low impedance/high sensitivity.
biggrin.gif

With foobar2000 with replaygain, I'm typically around this, maybe a bit lower depending on mood etc.:
  1. AKG K 701: 41
  2. Sennheiser HD 800: 41
  3. Denon AH-D7000: 33 (often a bit lower)
  4. beyerdynamic T 1: 46
  5. AKG K 271 MK II/HSD 271: 38
  6. Sennheiser HD 25-1 II basic: 32
  7. Sennheiser HD 380 Pro: 33

With foobar2000 with replaygain and -3 dB 46 initially seems reasonable with Sennheiser HD 650, but this is so far very early and brief stages.

During the HiFiMAN HE-6 demo in a shop demoroom I used approximately 61-63. The other person around 79 for normal and 90 or above for testing very loud/limit.

Extract from "beyerdynamic T5p: Photos and first impressions" post #590:

Quote:
I've been listening to beyerdynamic T 5 p + Lynx Hilo this evening. Source is a PC with foobar2000 running with replaygain album prevent clipping and -3 dB connected with USB. Phones output -72.0 dB on Lynx Hilo.
[...]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back