Oppo 105 and Maranz SA8001
Jan 6, 2013 at 3:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jazzychu

Head-Fier
Having the SA8001 for two years, I bought 105 the other day and really want to find out the differences of these two all-in-one CD players in speaker and headphone sound, since both have the jack at front.

While I put two identical CDs (both copes from the original) in the players and tried with DT880, HD650 (and even K1000 but at higher volume) in the jacks, I thought 105 has stronger bass presence, but that was before I realized the speed of 105 is tad slower that SA8001.  I got a digital timer to double check and the speed of SA8001 is correct and 105 is probably 2 seconds behind per minute.  Has anyone checked the speed of 105 yet?

Jan 6, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:
Having the SA8001 for two years, I bought 105 the other day and really want to find out the differences of these two all-in-one CD players in speaker and headphone sound, since both have the jack at front.

While I put two identical CDs (both copes from the original) in the players and tried with DT880, HD650 (and even K1000 but at higher volume) in the jacks, I thought 105 has stronger bass presence, but that was before I realized the speed of 105 is tad slower that SA8001.  I got a digital timer to double check and the speed of SA8001 is correct and 105 is probably 2 seconds behind per minute.  Has anyone checked the speed of 105 yet?

So you played the CD from beginning to end and timed them from beginning to end using a timer?

Jan 6, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #3 of 7
Each player has the screen to show the time and I stopped each player at the beginning of a track by pause.  For SA8001 and digital timer, I had to use buttons on the device.  For 105, it was the remote.  I can start all three at the same time.

Assuming even there could be a slight delay on the 105 to start from pause, the total time played of a 3-minute song was 5 to 6 seconds longer than the SA8001 and timer.  In other words, when the music ends on the SA8001, I can remove the headphone from SA8001 and insert to 105 jack and still hear the music.

Jan 6, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #4 of 7
After much playing around, I finally found the issue.  When putting headphone in and out of the jack of 105 while CD is still being played, the player actually delays a bit.  SA8001 does not delay at all.

Not sure if this is a serious design issue since probably no one listens to CD with headphone in and out.  But if you are testing, like I just did, be aware that OPPO 105 handles differently to other players.

Other thing I found is that when headphone is used on 105, the analog output stops, but not the digital output such as subwoofer.  That means I can still use K1000 with the subwoofer.

Feb 3, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
Can you post more impressions of how the BDP-105 does with your headphones? I have the HD650s so am particularly interested to know if you feel it drives them well. Thanks!

I posted this in another thread, so here are my impressions: 

"Previously, I was driving my HD650s from a Yamaha S2500 to a Yamaha HTR-3064 Amp via analog, to a Fiio E9. Just recently I bought an Oppo 105 (and Denon 4311) and plugged my HD650s....OMG!!! I absolutely love the sound with CDs, SACDs, DVDAs and even DualDiscs!!!! The combination of Sabre DACs with the high quality amp in the oppo sounds sublime! I think the Oppo has plenty of gain for the 650s, on most music 95/100 on volume is enough, only once did I need to go to 100 and again that was fine. The SQ is amazing!"

Mar 18, 2013 at 5:44 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
I posted this in another thread, so here are my impressions: 

"Previously, I was driving my HD650s from a Yamaha S2500 to a Yamaha HTR-3064 Amp via analog, to a Fiio E9. Just recently I bought an Oppo 105 (and Denon 4311) and plugged my HD650s....OMG!!! I absolutely love the sound with CDs, SACDs, DVDAs and even DualDiscs!!!! The combination of Sabre DACs with the high quality amp in the oppo sounds sublime! I think the Oppo has plenty of gain for the 650s, on most music 95/100 on volume is enough, only once did I need to go to 100 and again that was fine. The SQ is amazing!"

Thanks for the input but...OMG! doesn't really help much.

It would be nice to read a comparison between the Oppo headphone amp and a very good standalone desktop.
Perhaps a more fair comparison would be to a portable like the Arrow, Pico or another top contender. That would give a good enough impression as to whether the Oppo 105 is really designed for excellent performance with headphones.

Also, I'd like to know if by 95/100 you mean you are using the full volume potential (or close to it) of the Oppo to get the level you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back