Opinions Wanted: What Is the Most Expensive Pair of IEMs That You Would Consider Exercising with?
May 4, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #46 of 83
Quote:
But having the idea of sweating all over it and turning it smelly isn't a good either... 

I don't see what you mean.
As I mentioned, ears don't particularly sweat (if you're losing fluids by your ears, go consult because it's certainly not sweat).
And it's not like anything smelly / dangerous can go inside IEMs and damage them, unless you like to wipe your armpits with them.
wink.gif

Not everyone working out sweats like hell and smells bad. You seem a bit overconcerned by "filth and smell".
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #47 of 83
Quote:
As I mentioned, ears don't particularly sweat (if you're losing fluids by your ears, go consult because it's certainly not sweat).
And it's not like anything smelly / dangerous can go inside IEMs and damage them, unless you like to wipe your armpits with them.
wink.gif

Not everyone working out sweats like hell and smells bad. You seem a bit overconcerned by "filth and smell".
biggrin.gif

and stage performers sweat much more than average work-out... they seem to be fine...

shorting due to sweat is almost imposible... I mean.. you have to submerge the thing in water to get enough water in it for shorting because it has filter.. although they are not designed for preventing things to get in.. but they are sufficient on blocking most of the things..

yes.. there is a possibility to drop your IEMs during work-out, but so does during average use... it's just inevitible...

May 4, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #48 of 83
Quote:
It is likely enough to break prematurely if used during exercising. The cord could get stuck on something, sweat might cause a short circuit withing the IEM. One could also damage it by dropping it. I only used cheap headphones when working out. I even had certain ones that I used only when exercising.
There were a few posts here by people trashing expensive IEMs while working out. If it won't bother you so much if you trash expensive earphones, then use them while exercising. If it will bother you, then use something cheap while exercising. The same thing goes for the player.

I cannot count the number of IEMs that I went through in the past while exercising - that's why I made this thread.  I went through multiple, multiple, multiple cheap pairs.  Then again, that was when I was powerlifting (not running)...

May 4, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #49 of 83
Each person has his/her own "care" level.
I have yet to break my first pair of IEMs, while my brother litterally burns through them (he sure wouldn't like to spend >100$ for a few months of use)

May 4, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #51 of 83
Quote:
wink.gif

biggrin.gif

Unless you're bald, your hair is unbelievably close to your ears, which would drip right through. 

Yes, I know, but it just doesn't feel good. 

May 5, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #52 of 83
Quote:
Each person has his/her own "care" level.
I have yet to break my first pair of IEMs, while my brother litterally burns through them (he sure wouldn't like to spend >100$ for a few months of use)

I agree with that my friend.

May 7, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #53 of 83
Just some food for thought:

Your ear canal does not sweat.  I understand the fear of working out with something as expensive as a custom IEM, but if your cables are over molded or non-detachable, and you can maintain a good seal between your IEM and ear, technically, it should be pretty hard to cause water damage to your IEM.  Not saying I do this, but maybe you're actually less likely to damage a custom in ear monitor than an earphone during workout.

Another thing is that most high quality IEM manufacturers warranty driver failure for a year, so there's that too.

Then again, when working out, the last thing I want in the back of my mind is the concern that I might destroy hundreds of dollars worth of electronics.

May 7, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #54 of 83
I used to run 45 mins four times a week now I am playing basketball and Tennis 5 times a week and I have gone through 9 different headphones and earphones due to sweating in them. Just some sweat broke all of them even a Shure 530 which cost me back then like $500 Dollars. Now I am using the Atrios which sounds even better in all around sound then the Shure 530. I also use the Atrios because they fell into a glass of water and stayed in water for over 10 mins by accident and they still work!
Quote:
The reason I ask is because I'm a runner.  I have a collection of all FLAC files on my Fuze and would like to enjoy my music to the fullest on long runs.  I have been debating on whether to run with my SM3s for awhile now, but I don't know if that would be just pure stupidity to sweat all over them and chance ruining them somehow. 

I understand that this question is subjective based on multiple variables, but I'm curious to know what you guys think is the most expensive pair of IEMs that should be used strictly for exercise purposes (pricewise, not a specific set of IEMs).  What amount do you guys think is the maximum before reaching levels of stupidity?  What's the most you've ever spent on a pair of IEMs solely for exercise?  (I included a poll for quick responses if you don't want to post too.)

I am currently debating running in the SM3s, purchasing a new set of IEMs to run in under $300, purchasing a new set of IEMs to run in under $200, or purchasing a new set of IEMs to run in under $100.  I don't mind buying another pair of quality IEMs; I just don't want to be kicking myself in the *** if I destroyed my the SM3s...

May 8, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #55 of 83
Salt water(as in sweat) is a great conductor of electricity, and might short out earphones or players. The $8 JVC Riptidz is listed as being sweat and water resistant. This together with a 2GB Sandisk Clip+(with a 16GB card in it) is what I would use while working out. If I trashed the combo then it isn't such a big deal, as the whole thing is under $50.

May 8, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #56 of 83
I bought 3 different brands earphones and headphone made for sports and all broke when I sweated in them.
Quote:
Salt water(as in sweat) is a great conductor of electricity, and might short out earphones or players. The $8 JVC Riptidz is listed as being sweat and water resistant. This together with a 2GB Sandisk Clip+(with a 16GB card in it) is what I would use while working out. If I trashed the combo then it isn't such a big deal, as the whole thing is under $50.

May 8, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #57 of 83
I bought 3 different brands earphones and headphone made for sports and all broke when I sweated in them.

Which did you buy? Did you try the JVC Riptidz? Most sports earphones don't specifically state on the package that they are sweat resistant as the Riptidz does.

May 8, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #58 of 83
When I'm exercising, I'm not listening critically.  I'm drowning out the environment.  No reason to spend more than $15 (see my sig :wink: )

YMMV.

May 8, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #59 of 83
The JVC Riptidz typically sells for between $6.50 and $8(I think Best Buy charges $10.49 though). Blue colored ones are $6.50 on Amazon with US shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back