Opinions on the PX100's?
Jun 8, 2004 at 5:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

The_X

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm buying a pair of PX100's from another member of these boards, and I was wondering what everyone's opinions of this pair were. I had been considering the Koss Portapro2's, Senn PX100's, and Sony EX71's for a while before finally settling on the PX100. My current headphones are Aiwa HP-VX100's, which are sort of hit-or-miss--They will sound amazing on some recordings, but will sound muffled and boomy on other recordings.

Jun 8, 2004 at 5:53 PM Post #2 of 16
i've had the px100. and now i have the koss ksc35, which i think have the same driver as the portapro (dont know about portapro2). both are open. while the px100 is more durable, the ksc35 have much better sound overall. both of them are bass driven but i think i prefer the bass of the ksc35. the px100 lows are kind of dark. the ksc35 also have a more refine treble. in other word, i am amaze by the ksc35 suond quality. it is as comfortable as the px100, but not ideal if you wear glasses. also it feels fragile.

edit: oh, i think i was supposed to be talking about the px100. first, its very durable and portable. its more comfrotable than the px200 and i prefer it sound over the px200 too. it have a warm, slightly dark sound. it have a good amount of bass, more treble power than the px200. maybe taking away the slight boominess of the bass could yield better mids.

some people actually prefer it over the portapro because they said its more balances. in my opinion, since its portable and cheap, the different is so little so it dont matter and the koss have an overall richer sound to my ears.

Jun 8, 2004 at 6:21 PM Post #5 of 16
I can only comment on the PX100, having never tried the Koss. Though you will read widely divergent views on the PX100s, I believe they offer terrific sound for a reasonable price. I do not find them especially dark or bloated in the bass (as you will frequently hear).

Add to this excellent construction and an unobtrusive style (so as to permit portable use), I just can't see what's not to like for the price.

Jun 8, 2004 at 6:23 PM Post #6 of 16
I own the Koss Ksc35 and have heard the Px100 a couple of times. Sonically I found the differences to be really small. In this league I think other things like durability and portability matter more.
The ksc35 doesn't have a headband which is extremely useful. However, the px100 is more durable, has better build quality in general and looks kind of stylish. Its sound, just as the ksc35, is well-balanced although you won't get a lot of soundstage out of them.
I'd be happy with either of them - I just happened to buy the ksc35 first and definately won't be selling them.

Jun 8, 2004 at 6:23 PM Post #7 of 16
PX 100 and PortaPro have some similarities, one of them is the strong bass. I would suggest to decrease it a bit if you have tone controls on your source. The PX 100's bass goes deeper and is clearly more controlled (to my ears), even when both are equalized to a more neutral bass intensity. The PortaPro's mids are warmer, the PX 100's a bit lean. The PortaPro has the smoother, more brilliant treble, whereas the PX 100 sounds a bit mat here. Nevertheless, to my ears the PX 100 is on a comparable level because of its clearly higher accuracy in every frequency range, despite the somewhat warmer and more musical characteristic of the PortaPro.

peacesign.gif

Jun 8, 2004 at 6:24 PM Post #8 of 16
==meh==

Not bad for the price, though not the greatest "portable" (read: "efficient") open headphone ever. (I'd say that it's a toss-up between that 'phone and the Koss PortaPro at that price point.)

However, as for the KSC-35 (or any other earclip 'phone for that matter), I cannot bear wearing hard plastic earclips for even a few seconds without complaining of severe upper-ear pain.
frown.gif

Jun 8, 2004 at 8:05 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver
However, as for the KSC-35 (or any other earclip 'phone for that matter), I cannot bear wearing hard plastic earclips for even a few seconds without complaining of severe upper-ear pain.
frown.gif

i find them very comfortable. this is coming from a (ex)ath-em7 user. and those who have it knows what i'm talking about. ofcourse you get a little sting in your ears if you take it out after wearing it for a long time.

Jun 8, 2004 at 8:13 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx
i find them very comfortable. this is coming from a (ex)ath-em7 user. and those who have it knows what i'm talking about. ofcourse you get a little sting in your ears if you take it out after wearing it for a long time.

Well, it seems as though I don't like anything hard that presses against my upper ears at all. Some people are far more sensitive to pain than others. And I'm one of those who are relatively hypersensitive to pain. (Unlike you, who is among those who are relatively hyposensitive to ear pain.)

Jun 8, 2004 at 8:49 PM Post #11 of 16
I have both the PX100 and the PortaPro2 (and I used to own the classic PortaPro and KSC-35). The PX100 has a more neutral, balanced sound to my ears, and it's more comfortable too. The PP2 is more "fun" and musical, and that's why I keep it around. PX100 = ER-4S and PP2 = E5 is a semi-appropriate analogy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 9, 2004 at 3:07 PM Post #12 of 16
Headroom gives them a 5 value rating Headroom. I have the Sony EX-71s also, and the PX100s blow them away. They also fold up nicely into a carrying case. The only downside is, for portable use, the EX-71's form factor is better, but I'd rather listen to the PX100s anyday. the cord is also a bit long (I prefer a short cord with an extension, like the EX-71s). I also have the Sennheiser MX300s and the Koss Plugs, and the PX100s sound a lot better than they do too.

I haven't tried more expensive phones so I can't tell you how they sound compared to them, but the PX100s are only $40.

Jun 9, 2004 at 3:30 PM Post #13 of 16
waasup X!
I tried all 3 phones you mentioned. At the end of day, I will take px100 over the other two. Portapro has a terrible headband which will eat your hair and has a bit forward sound. Sony ex71 has such bloated bass and no mid-range at all. Although px100 is not the best phones, certainly they're good performer in every category of the portables. Slightly dark, not warm though.
Obviously, px100 also wins in fit and finish as well as comfort for me.

Jun 9, 2004 at 4:58 PM Post #14 of 16
I would go for the porta pro because you can get a free hair cut every time you adjust the metal bands.

I hate ear clips too. However, some people are born with ears designed to wear the KSC-35.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back