Opinions on Sony ns500v and Sony 775 sacd players
Jun 7, 2002 at 6:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Mr_Happy

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I was wondering if any of you have compared the Sony ce775 cd/sacd changer and the Sony ns500v dvd/sacd player. They're both currently under $200 and seem like good deals. The 775 seems to have gotten better reviews on audioasylum, but I've read some reports of it skipping on some discs. It also doesn't have a coaxial digital out, so I won't be able to use it with my ART di/o for normal CDs without an optical to coax converter. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Jun 7, 2002 at 7:14 AM Post #2 of 3
Well, I own the 775. I bought it right when it came out. Overall, I'd describe it as smooth and pretty neutral. I use it for SACD and CDRs. The tube heads might describe it as somewhat "musical". It appears the designers wanted to produce a relatively easy-to-listen player than get the most detail at this price point, because the low-level detail is somewhat veiled and the background isn't audibly silent for CDs, in particular. Not quite a SCD-1 but easy to listen to and lacking severe 'digititis'.

Jun 8, 2002 at 3:05 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for your comments BenG. I'm leaning toward the 775 right now as it looks like it has better sound quality. Also, according to the person that runs sacdmods.com, it shares most of its components with the more expensive 222ES.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back