Opinions on five finger death punch
Sep 24, 2011 at 3:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

John2e

Headphoneus Supremus
I had never heard anything about this band.  One of the songs from War is the answer was on a television show and after hearing it I decided to pick up the Album.  As usual the song featured on the show was not indicative of the whole album but I gave it a shot.  I was floored.  Like someone had reached in and grabbed my soul.  I have not read any other opinions on this band but I am curious what is the general consensus regarding their music. Am I the only one who thinks they are pretty special?

Sep 24, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #2 of 15
Everytime they come come on the radio I immediately have to switch the station. Everyone has a different taste in music though....

Sep 24, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #3 of 15

Quote:
Everytime they come come on the radio I immediately have to switch the station. Everyone has a different taste in music though....

It is definitely not every ones cup of tea.  I hate tea
bigsmile_face.gif
  A co worker heard it from outside my office and said it disturbs him.  I notice he will now not even get into the same elevator as me and looks at me like I am a total physco.  Probably why I have been enjoying it so much 
very_evil_smiley.gif

What songs do they play on the radio.  "Far from home" is the only one I would imagine and is very different from the rest of their songs

Sep 25, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #4 of 15

Quote:

It is definitely not every ones cup of tea.  I hate tea
bigsmile_face.gif
  A co worker heard it from outside my office and said it disturbs him.  I notice he will now not even get into the same elevator as me and looks at me like I am a total physco.  Probably why I have been enjoying it so much 
very_evil_smiley.gif

What songs do they play on the radio.  "Far from home" is the only one I would imagine and is very different from the rest of their songs

It's not like they are too "psycho" for my taste. Believe me, I listen to some pretty intense metal. I think it might just be the vocal style that turns me off the most. Just sounds too much like so many of those other ****ty mainstream rock bands with maybe just a slightly harder edge.

Sep 25, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #5 of 15

Quote:

It's not like they are too "psycho" for my taste. Believe me, I listen to some pretty intense metal. I think it might just be the vocal style that turns me off the most. Just sounds too much like so many of those other ****ty mainstream rock bands with maybe just a slightly harder edge.

Stooge

Interesting take

What do you recommend for a neophyte like myself?  Current bands in heavy rotation   Tool, Disturbed and Avenged sevenfold and the aforementioned.

Never thought they sounded mainstream but I can see your point in the vocals.. similar to Bush or Nickelback. The screams are something I try to avoid in other bands, but IMHO they just seem to be perfectly placed.  For example their placement in "My Own Hell"  WILL THE VOICES EVER STOP...

I need some new music
ph34r.gif

Anyone else think they sound mainstream?

Sep 25, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #6 of 15
Mainstream indeed.

Stooge - As I'm in the Omaha area as well, I had to endure many "sessions" of Five Finger Death Punch through the repetitive airwaves of 89.7 The River.

Sep 25, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #7 of 15

Quote:
Mainstream indeed.

Stooge - As I'm in the Omaha area as well, I had to endure many "sessions" of Five Finger Death Punch through the repetitive airwaves of 89.7 The River.

Makes sense

So how about recommending something you like.  I am jonesing for something new

Sep 25, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #8 of 15

Quote:
Mainstream indeed.

Ha! Yes, I wish we had better radio stations.

Oct 3, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #10 of 15
Well... Just because our Omaha area was mentioned.

Go ahead and try Venaculas, John. Very underrated band that didn't quite make it out of the Omaha area much... which is a crying shame.

Oct 9, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #11 of 15
Go listen to Lamb of God, Mastadon, Gojira or even Pantera/Devildriver. 5FDP is pretty much considered the Nickelback of the Metal word
tongue.gif

Oct 10, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
Go listen to Lamb of God, Mastadon, Gojira or even Pantera/Devildriver. 5FDP is pretty much considered the Nickelback of the Metal word
tongue.gif

Thanks!

I just ordered Lamb Of God  hourglass CD Anthology.

Hopefully I will enjoy as much as 5fdp.   They have somewhat lost their appeal after many listens, maybe LOG will have more staying power. 

I am hoping it is a well mastered CD as well.  Sound quality + good content = 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 11, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #13 of 15
My band got compared to five finger once, I was saddened, but enough of my dislike of them...

If you're going for something with that style of vocal, go for the band that everyone is trying to rip off, Alice In Chains.

If you want metal in that vein, go for Pantera, specifically Vulgar Display Of Power.

Current radio metal is mostly a bastardization of those two bands, mixed with a pinch of screamo.  I don't get it, but I'm getting old.

Edit:

And while they're not really my thing, you might want to check out the first Godsmack album.

Oct 15, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #15 of 15
I received Lamb of God Hourglass, can not really get into it after a few listens.  Also received 5fdp American Capitalist and I have been enjoying it immensely.  Oh well.... taste is subjective 
confused_face_2.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back