1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Opinions on DAC / Amp combo

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by atoff, Dec 21, 2013.
  1. atoff
    Hello all, I've been reading throughout the forums for a while now, but this is my first post.  I've searched through so many reviews of different headphones, and this morning I finally picked up a pair of Sennheiser HD 598's for a bargain price of $146 after tax.  Wasn't my first choice... in fact, I was about to pull the trigger for Q701's, but I felt the price was too good to pass up on the 598's with so many good reviews on them.

So now I need to pick up a DAC and AMP or DAC / AMP combo.  

I was looking at the Firestone Audio Fubar IV Plus for $129 from Amazon, but I'm not sure if that's the best solution for me.  I do need optical out, so that's critical.  The main purpose for it would be to watch movies / TV.  I live in an apartment, so unfortunately I can't go the 5.1 or 7.1 route, but I do want to experience the best I can when watching movies.  I'll also be using it for games (PS4, XBOne).

I was then thinking of picking up the Schiit Magni for the amp, and then just picking up a DAC like the FiiO D3, which has optical in.  Do you guys think that would be the best route for me?  I'm not really looking to spend more than $150-200 for the DAC / AMP combo, unless it's a spectacular difference.  I also worry about whether it'll handle the decoding.  I'll be watching movies from a media PC (XBMC), and TV from a U-Verse receiver, which I don't know how it outputs through optical, whether PCM or what.  

Anyway, I'm open to all suggestions for hardware, maybe new suggestions, if there's something better suited than the Magni + D3 combo.

Thanks.

[​IMG] 

Edit:  Oops, looks like I posted before reading the Welcome PM which asked me to post this in the Help section.  Sorry about that, would appreciate it if a mod could move me over. 

2. wheelsx45
    Check out the Audinst Hud-mx1. It is a good DAC/AMP combo with a optical output as well. It is really good for this price point.

I am not sure, did you need a optical output or input?

3. atoff
    Thanks, I did get a chance to check that one out, but the reviews seemed very mixed.  Many saying that the audio quality was not great... nothing special.  I was also looking at the Schiit Vali.  Would there be a DAC to look out for if I went that route, and is that a good way to go?

Needed an optical in, since the U-Verse box I have has optical.  I'd like to be able to watch TV with headphones on as well.