Opinions on closed, semi portables? Specifically Ultrasone and AT.
Nov 17, 2008 at 5:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

tintin47

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking for a decent pair of closed cans that I can use while at work and in the library, where I spend a lot of time. My main phones, the k701s and 595s are definitely a no-go in very quiet places. I am mainly interested in the Ultrasone pro-650, the ATH-ESW9 or 7. Need a good all-rounder, specifically good for rock.

I haven't found a lot about Ultrasones on the forums. What are peoples' opinions of them? I am going to audition them but I'd like to know about build quality, amping, etc. Just any info you might have.

Mainly I need these phones to sound good unamped, though I don't mind if they scale well with amping, as I am getting a portable relatively soon. Trying to keep the phones under $300. Any other suggestions appreciated.

Nov 17, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ESW9.

That is what I am leaning towards at the moment. I've never heard wooden phones. Does the wood (which I am assuming is a large chunk of the price difference between the 7s and 9s) change the sound sig that much?

Nov 17, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #4 of 18
using ES7/ESW10 here, both are great. ES7 is a very fun sounding headphone and is also worth a recommendation but my guess is that the ESW9 is more refined/balanced/detailed (based on ESW10).
from what i've read, the ultrasones are more of a love/hate type of headphone so you may want to take a listen.

the wood/leatherystuff should be the only difference between es7 / esw9 so yes it changes the sound. much like metal/wood instruments sound different.
also means that the ES7 is an awesome headphone for the money, as my ESW10 does not make me feel like I don't need ES7 anymore.

Nov 17, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #5 of 18
I honestly think wood makes very small difference...mostly for looks, really. And no, ES7 and ESW9 uses different drivers altogether.

If you tried DT770pros and darth beyers, you'll notice that they're very similar.

Nov 17, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I honestly think wood makes very small difference...mostly for looks, really. And no, ES7 and ESW9 uses different drivers altogether.

If you tried DT770pros and darth beyers, you'll notice that they're very similar.

Well the different drivers explain the price difference. i just sort of assumed that they were mostly the same cans with wood.

Nov 18, 2008 at 7:11 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't found a lot about Ultrasones on the forums. What are peoples' opinions of them? I am going to audition them but I'd like to know about build quality, amping, etc. Just any info you might have.

See my signature area. Also, see http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/the...rasone-204879/

There's more but that will get you started.

Nov 18, 2008 at 7:49 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for a decent pair of closed cans that I can use while at work and in the library, where I spend a lot of time. My main phones, the k701s and 595s are definitely a no-go in very quiet places. I am mainly interested in the Ultrasone pro-650, the ATH-ESW9 or 7. Need a good all-rounder, specifically good for rock.

Mainly I need these phones to sound good unamped, though I don't mind if they scale well with amping, as I am getting a portable relatively soon. Trying to keep the phones under $300. Any other suggestions appreciated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can try the PL650 or the RS1...

The Ultrasone PL650 need 500 hours burn in time...100ohms(Not so easy to drive).
The RS1 very portable...32ohms (Easy to drive).

did you even read the OP? or the TITLE?

Nov 18, 2008 at 7:52 AM Post #11 of 18
People will hate you at the library with the rs 1
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit:doh was to slow to refresh to see the post just before me
biggrin.gif

Nov 18, 2008 at 8:37 AM Post #12 of 18
The Ultrasones have a very unique and strange sound signature, many people disliked them as they can't get used to the sound signature. You must try them to see if you like them.

The ESW9 IMHO is a terrible rock can, its energy is watered down greatly from the ES7 and while it sounds good for the slower classical rock it sounds slow and sluggish for the hard rock and heavy metal songs. They make good jazz and classical music cans, but you are better off with the ES7 for rock.

Personally I'll recommend the ATH-A900, very well rounded and great value for money.

Nov 18, 2008 at 11:28 AM Post #14 of 18
Of the 3 closed portables I have (PX200,ES7,ESW9) I would give the points for best all rounder to ESW9. Whether its worth 3 times the price of the ES7 (as it is around these parts) depends on your priorities.

Nov 18, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by footplate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of the 3 closed portables I have (PX200,ES7,ESW9) I would give the points for best all rounder to ESW9. Whether its worth 3 times the price of the ES7 (as it is around these parts) depends on your priorities.

Yeah. Thats what I'm trying to figure out. I wish that I could find somewhere to audition them. Thanks for the help everyone. I think that I am going to keep the choice between the esw9s, the 7s and somesort of ultrasone. I'm going to hear the ultrasones, so what I want to know is whether the ATH esw9s are good all rounders, specifically ROCK phones or would the 7 be the better choice.

I already found a place for ultrasones so I will be checking those out over thanksgiving. I am very interested to see what the ultrasone sound is like and whether I can tell why there are such differing opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back