opinions on a few headphones needed.
Nov 30, 2002 at 5:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

jessica00

500+ Head-Fier
damn the need for better headphones.
no amp, driven by a turtle beach santa cruz.
wanting a pair of HD-590's
curious if there are better for the same price. comfort (wear for hours on end) is a major factor..
so far..

philips SBC HP 890
AKG K 501
*edit* maybe a dt250 too
or some ultrasone's */edit*
and..uh..thats about it,

recommendations?

Nov 30, 2002 at 1:11 PM Post #2 of 18
This might not help you on your quest of finding "über-comfortable" headphones, but I have to say that HD-590's are definately very, very comfortable. I have a extremely large (some might refer to it as freeky
smily_headphones1.gif
) melon between my shoulders but these phones do not irritate even after several hours of use.

Nov 30, 2002 at 3:57 PM Post #3 of 18
Hi Jessica!
smily_headphones1.gif

The Philips HP 890 are reportedly very comfortable, but the earcups are enormous so this might be a problem if you have a very small head. Their strengths are a very wide soundstage and strong, pleasant bass as if there's a subwoofer inside the earcups. They got 32 OHM impedance so they're easily driven, though not by portables. I currently use the Philips HP 800 which are a bit smaller (40mm drivers as opposed to the 890's 50mm) and I can tell you they're surely worth every penny of the forty dollars I paid for them.

Cheers,
Alex Altorfer

Nov 30, 2002 at 11:15 PM Post #6 of 18
I bet the Ultrasones would be perfect for you, but I don't know much about them, especially comfort-wise and whether they require an amp. Kelly should have a really great review sometime in the near future (next 10 days probably) that includes several headphones that might interest you. I would wait until then.

Have you considered getting an amp? That would widen your choices for headphones (and sound quality) significantly. Maybe talk to one of the DIYers around here.

Right now, I would say that the Beyer DT250-80 or the Sony V6 with Beyer pads might be a very comfortable choice and good sounding that can be driven from the TBSC, but I haven't heard either.

Dec 1, 2002 at 7:15 PM Post #8 of 18
If isolation plays even the least role (thinking of lans or playing late at night) I'd really recommand the dt250-250 for gaming/mp3s from a turtle beach santa cruz (which is said to have a reasonably good headphone jack). If you want pure volume the dt 250-80 or hd-590 might server you better - overall soundquality&transparancy wise and especially when it comes to powerful, deep, visceral bass the 250-250 are close to impossible to beat in their price range i think, though.

Dec 1, 2002 at 7:47 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

I'd really recommand the dt250-250 for gaming/mp3s from a turtle beach santa cruz (which is said to have a reasonably good headphone jack).

I seriously doubt that a TBSC can drive a 250 Ohm headphone well (especially considering some amps can't). Stick to the 80 Ohm version if you don't want to buy an amp.

Dec 1, 2002 at 8:09 PM Post #10 of 18
Considering them DT 250-250s sounding OK from my 5 mw mz-r70 jack unamped i doubt the tbsc would have serious problems with them... of course they won't play to ubervolumes like they do amped by the porta corda or like the DT 250-80s would from the tbsc, but who needs ubervolumes anyway?

Dec 1, 2002 at 10:25 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

of course they won't play to ubervolumes like they do amped by the porta corda or like the DT 250-80s would from the tbsc, but who needs ubervolumes anyway?

Volume isn't the only (or even primary) reason that you get a headphone amp. The quality of the sound is improved greatly with an amp. The DT250-250 probably will not sound as good as the DT250-80 would out of the TBSC, but with a good amp, the DT250-250 will sound better than the 80. If she isn't getting an amp, there is no reason to buy a headphone that can't achieve much of it's potential without an amp. There is a lot more to getting an amp than volume, but I would think that you already know that because you have an amp.

Quote:

which would sound better, the 590's or the philips?

The only way to know the answer to that is if someone has heard all three headphones. It seems unlikely that anyone has, so your next choice would be to do a search for each headphone and look at impressions of the sound quality. If some impressions sound more favorable of one to you, then that's the one you choose (assuming you can't audition the 590 or the Philips for yourself).

My money would be on the 590 from everything I have read around here.

Dec 1, 2002 at 10:53 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by jessica00
still, compared to my HD-497's, which would sound better, the 590's or the philips?

In my opinion (having heard all three), the HP890 aren't in the same class as the HD 590, and I prefer the HD 497 to the HP890. In other words, if you're trying to "upgrade," the HD 590 is the way to go, IMO.

Dec 2, 2002 at 2:25 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by radrd
Volume isn't the only (or even primary) reason that you get a headphone amp. The quality of the sound is improved greatly with an amp. The DT250-250 probably will not sound as good as the DT250-80 would out of the TBSC, but with a good amp, the DT250-250 will sound better than the 80. If she isn't getting an amp, there is no reason to buy a headphone that can't achieve much of it's potential without an amp. There is a lot more to getting an amp than volume, but I would think that you already know that because you have an amp.

Of course I know that and I do agree with everything you wrote, except that the DT250-250 will _probably_ not sound as good as the 250-80 out of the TBSC. As long as noone has tried it out I find it better not to assume anything, especially as figures like 80 ohm vs 250 ohm can be very easily misinterpreted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back